#21 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

Ok today was first LC day, basically get our first four LC jars ready to be spawned from spores.

So, below you can see my four LC jars, which are 10 oz jelly jars. Each has a 4% solution if light Karo syrup and 3 or 4 prices of broken clear glass inside to break up the mycelium as it grows.

IMG_20150814_205736578.jpg

There are also two shot glasses with distilled water in there as well which will be used for getting the spores into the syringe.

I alcholed up the glove box and got it clean and ready to receive the four LC jars and shit glasses. Those will be allowed to cool overnight.

Shown below are the three prints I took last grow (the infamous quinoa coffee grow)

IMG_20150814_211905612.jpg

Tomorrow we innoculate!!!!

Next week I should receive my petri dishes and we begin the agar inoculation... Somewhere along the line we should get some clean LC...

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 14 August 2015 - 08:45 PM.

#22 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

So, here are the various liquids cooling for tomorrow...

IMG_20150814_215038368.jpg

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 14 August 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#23 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:47 PM

Ok, mixed my first batch of spores from two of my prints into two separate shot glasses. In the future, I'm going to use 50ml erlenmeyer flasks, they don't knock over as easy as shot glasses!

Anyway, I inoculated 4 jars. Got my petri dishes today so I'll be experimenting with agar grows as well.

Found out that prints on aluminum foil is a HUGE pain in the ass! It crinkles and tears on the scalple, it's just ... Difficult. Tyvek next time!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 15 August 2015 - 09:48 PM.

#24 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:36 AM

2 days and I can see what look like tiny hairs floating in the LC, almost like I had "dust/lint" in the water. I hope that is good mycelium starting. We shall see.

Admins (Turkey or Lucky) I realize I started this log in the mad scientists section, but outside of using Quinoa flour it is going to be pretty standard tek. It's going from print to finished product, barring any unfortunate circumstances. Feel free to move it if you think it should be...

#25 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

TEFF!!!!!

Yes, Teff.  I have decided to use Teff grain-flour instead of Quinoa flour because of 2 very important factors:

1.) Teff is even a more superfood then Quinoa and has more bioavailable protein, sugars, and carbohydrates that Quinoa

2.) Teff DOES NOT CONTAIN SAPONINS! Saponins are that substance that makes quinoa "soapy" and sticky, and must be washed off becasue it is actually resistent to mycellium! 

This means you remove the extra step of attempting to wash all of the saponins off your grains!

So this is going to be the T-BRF cake from this point onward.  If I can, I will edit the title, if not, then this post is the "Truning point" of this MAD SCIENCE Experiment.

• Quixtus likes this

#26 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

While I know it is much better to use Agar to innoculate LC's I simply have not gotten to my Agar yet.  I finally got my LME so I can make a superiour Agar and hope to get to that soon.  I also have my stack of sterile petri dishes... (little ones... like 2 inches - they used to be 4 inches back in the day!)

So I got 4 LC jars, two are filled with white filiments and little wads of mycellium, the other 2 are clear - I guess they didnt get anything.  Hope its cubes in the two, could be anything if my print was not as clean as I had hoped.  At any rate, I am going to innoculate some cakes with these to see what comes up.

While those cakes get going I'm going to make up some agar plates and see about making some clean LC's and innoculate lots more cakes!  Teff Cakes!

Here is the recipie ( a lot less complex than my last run)

10 cups verm

2 cups Brown Rice Flour

1 cups Teff Flour

1 TBSP Gypsum (which is standard black-board chalk ground to powder.  You can use plaster of paris, but you MUST mix it with water, let it harden, and then regrind it because POP is not gypsum until it is rehydrated.)

3 cups of H2O2 (that's right, I hydrate with Hydrogen peroxide.  This kills all bacterial and Trich,  The PC step will drive off the extra oxygen atom leaving just the water).

No coffee, honey or corn meal this time.  There will be plenty of sugar in the LC mix I squirt in anyway.

When I get lots of LC that I am confident with, I will then explore using Coir tubs and other stuff.  I shall endovor to make lots of prints to to give away!

SpS.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 28 August 2015 - 10:19 AM.

• Quixtus and Heirloom like this

#27 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:02 PM

So I am running a grow test on three of the four LC Jars. As previously mentioned 2 jars full of white filiments after 9 days, but no puff balls. One of the clear jars had almost translucent puff balls. The fourth was still clear so I dumped it.

I made 3 cakes and injected an entire 10 ml syringe from each of the remaining jars into each of the cakes to see what comes up.

Another modification I made is I put a fifth injection hole in the center of my cake jars.

My prediction us that all three are contams.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 30 August 2015 - 03:04 PM.

• Quixtus likes this

#28 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

never tried LC's but have wanted to.

#29 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

LC's as I have come to learn, are a mixed blessing.  If you got a good, pure, non-contaminated LC, you can innoculate endless tubs, cakes, etc.

But there is the rub.  It is hard to determine if an LC is full of good mycleium or bad until you actuall grow with it.  This means you may end up with nothing, or gallons of good stuff, or something in between.

I would say that best way to do an LC now, is to have a proven clean agar sample and put a wedge of that into an set of PURE LC liquid using all of the cleanliness skills you have.  Scraping a spore print directly into an LC is probably not the best.  Squirting in a spore syringe is better if you can be sure the syringe is pure.

Bad contams can look just like good stuff when floating about in a liquid.  At least that is my experience up to now, others may be more versed in using LC and detecting when it is bad or not.

• Quixtus and Heirloom like this

#30 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

thanks Steam, got the needed materials.

I don't grow a lot but trying every TEK  is good experience to pass on to local people.

I imagine a few goes at it and I will get some success proved by noccing grain jars
and growing them out in a bulk tub.

I like using colonized grain jars to "milk"  inject sterile water and suck it back into the syringe then inject into
sterile grain jars or PF jars, works great but the "milked syringes" can not be stored like a LC can.

I will master it as a valued TEK.

peace dude

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 01 September 2015 - 02:55 PM.

• Quixtus likes this

#31 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:05 PM

Well - I have currently tested my three LC jars and only 1 appears to actually be active Golden Teacher:

LC_JAR_2_small.jpg

Now I took this photo several days ago, and there are lots more puff balls in there now.  The three test PF Tek cakes were examined and only this one is showing rhizomes.  The other two showed nothing (that would be from LC jars 1 and 3).  The cake is colonizing very fast even though the LC was very weak at the time!  This is amazing to me.  I cant wait to try a slurry down the road.

Anyway here is the one test cake.

View_1_Cake2.jpg

View_2_Cake2.jpg

So it looks like I got me an active jar of GT.

My sloppy Agar's are all showing growth.  Nice white mycelium.  Basically I guess this could be considered a Jelly like LC.  I am not sure what I will do with them, if anything.

Here is my new "dilemma" (Actually a good problem): Elvis Presley visited my from his space ship and left me with 5 syringes (Thanks Elvis, you know who you are).  There are three awesome varieties here so I am going to have to create even more LC's with these.  Going to have to do a lot more than just PF Cakes. Looking and doing some shoe box mono tubs using turkey roasting bags and some ideas I have.

At any rate, I am happy with the new TBRF mix.  I believe the Teff flour is going to produce a superior product with great potency.

Finally, everything I just said is false.

HAve a great day!

• Quixtus and wharfrat like this

#32 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:25 AM

Okay, thought I would be clever by using a 1/2 LME and 1/2 Karo LC mix. I was shooting for 4% however I made a mistake. I have DME (dry malt extract) but I used LME measures. Crap. I realized this the next day after noc'ing the jars. What I really have is a 5.125% LC which puts the sugars too high. This causes the mycelium to either not Bloom at all or make little nasty looking dirt lint threads, ckoudy too (except for the Ps Az...thats clesr! Weird) which is what I have...or its all contammed.

By the way, DME is 1.25 times LME.

Meanwhile my single GT jar is clear and full of nice little puffballs! That was just karo at 3.8%

Soooo.... I'm going to noc up some cakes as test runs and see what happens. We have A++ and Cams. Not going to noc any Ps Az till later.

Pics coming soon.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 13 September 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#33 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

cant' you adjust your ratio down to 5% by adding some sterile water to it?

the spores might not grow in higher sugar, but the might still be viable, i.e. not killed by a slightly stronger sugar.

oh I see you were shooting for 4%, not 5%, which I heard is just fine. you would only be 1/8% higher than the normal dextrose IV bag that works for humans.

Keep up this posting, it is very interesting, and don't mind my suggestions, do your thing. I am just tripping on what I did with lc a year or so past.

I was nowhere near that careful with the math, or the dextrose percentages, and mine worked without any sugar once.

I accidentally filled some syringes with my D5W pc'd water for making LC's and the spores started growing in the syringes. Had to use them right away.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#34 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

Thanks Hap, will do... I thought about injecting more sterile water and I guess if I PC some I could, but probably easier to just make more LCs. At any rate I will see if these noc the cakes...

#35 Chancey

Chancey

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:01 PM

Very nice SPS.

"Yeah Mr. White! Yeah SCIENCE!"

But why such a low flour to verm ratio in your jars?

I just made my first somewhat sketchy LC about 11 days ago. Came out of the pot cloudy as hell (tap water=disgusting + robust honey=sediment), but noc'd it with one cc of TC multispore and its growing gorgeously :))))

Made up 4 pf jars on the 8th to test and injected 10 mls in the lot..... EXPLOSIVE GROWTH. At least 75% on the outside of the fastest jar :D. Blew right past the MS jars I did on the 2nd.

LC= :cool:

#36 Chancey

Chancey

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

But now watch all my LC jars turn green at once from the trichoderma I've given such a lovely home to :p

#37 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

Chancey. The verm to flour ratio is based on the dozens of pf teks I have read here and elsewhere. What ratio do you use?

With regard to LC I always and only will use bottled distilled water. I always hydrate my pf cakes with h2o2. The very first grow I did I used this method. I noc'ed up 10 pf jars. 9 grew and the tenth did nothing. None of them showed trich. I got three flushes from all 9 before my first sign of trich. H2o2 plus diligent cleanliness works so far. I don't have an expensive flow hood or anything like that, and my pc pot is tiny. But good results can be had!

I hope the LC works!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 14 September 2015 - 10:39 PM.

• Quixtus likes this

#38 Chancey

Chancey

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:27 PM

I hope it does too bro it's more than rewarding when they work like they're supposed to.

As of now I've only used a 2:1:1,

Usually more like just under a 2:1.25:1.25 verm:brf:water cause I'm using fine verm and it never even feels damp like it's supposed to, let alone field capacity.

I made another LC on the 10th using spring water this time and "clear" karo (lol) with a broken up microscopy slide in it (about 4/5 tbls in 100ml), but my Malabar spores haven't really seemed to do anything (if they even got in there). But this one came out completely clear. (and remains so.... no myc either lol) 

I also noticed almost like VERY TINY golden flakes floating around in the jar so I think I made have caramelized the sugars to some degree (but they always float, never sink to the bottom). But even in a few PF jars I knocked with the same syringe only 2 out of 20 inoculation points have show any growth, and they're both weak and fluffy at best. Not sure if I did something wrong with the LC or if it's the spores but I'm going to let them sit for at least a few more days. This damn Treasure Coast LC may have just made me impatient and raised the bar a bit lol.

I wish you luck bro, I really like the idea of the super-food flour.

1. Is it organic?

2. Is it expensive as hell? (I feel like 7$ for a 2 lb bag of BRF is robbery)

#39 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

Try $20 for a 2 lb bag of quinoa. At least the Safeway brown rice here is only $3 for a 2 lb bag. Funny how grains are priced so differently. In Hawaii you could get quinoa for the same price as brown, but the were both expensive. (like everything there).

I noticed the "heavy on the verm in your recipe too, but whatever you choose as long as it works.

Do you have coarse verm or fine grade.

I also add a bit more water, have really fine verm. I used to sift it out and use the fine for the top layer and coarse for the mix, but lately there is no coarse left in the strainer. Getting to the bottom of the vermiculite barrel at the mica quarry I suppose.

• Chancey likes this

#40 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:30 PM

Well my ratio is 10 to 3 so that's 3 verm to 1 flour. I based this off of pf teks I've read, but I can certainly change it... If that makes it colonize faster I'm for it!

My verm is fine, because that's all there is anymore. I have not see the course stuff in years.

UPDATE: ok, so here is a quote from a pf tek that is using professor Fanaticus original work:

For 6 jars, this amounts to:
=> 3.5 US cups vermiculite
=> 1 US cup brown rice flour

That's even heavier than my recipie.

Here is the link: http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 15 September 2015 - 09:42 PM.

• Chancey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!