Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Zen Mind, Strong Body (Book review + the book!)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:39 PM

This is a super quick review of the fitness-oriented book "Zen Mind, Strong Body" authored by Al Kavadlo.

I've read several fitness books, most of them all oriented toward exercising with simple everyday or improvised tools, but mainly dealing with how to exercise using nothing but your own body: moving against gravity and changing leverage and body position to get stronger. This is by far my favorite and I read it today in one sitting. At 123 pages, it's not a long read, and it's also a very easily digestible read.

I like Al's no-nonsense, SIMPLE approach to general fitness. You'll learn a lot from reading this book, but maybe you'll find that you've already figured a lot of this stuff out for yourself.

I used to take my exercise more seriously than I should. I'm also guilty of over-complicating exercise. I've posted some contributions and PDF books here before when I was thinking more complex instead of living it all simply day-by-day.

Shortly before New Year's Day, 2015, I decided to finally get back into exercise by dropping the weights, using my own bodyweight, and just doing what felt natural and right. I had pretty much not done any kind of strength training for half a year or more by that point, and had really only stuck with weight lifting in the past.

I stopped taking it so seriously. I decided to just simplify everything and give it a shot and see what might happen. Some of my mushroom experiences in the past got me thinking about this topic and how fitness might not be so complicated, after all.

This experiment has been going on for about 8 months now and I am much happier and in much better shape than I was when I stuck to a strict routine and took it all so seriously. These days, the only thing serious about my exercise is that I always do something every day and I always do something challenging for myself. I consider my exercising to be a form of moving meditation that brings me into the moment and allows me to get in touch with my true self.

CONSISTENCY over time (and patience), with a sensible diet will give you results. It doesn't matter which routine or plan you use. It doesn't matter how complex or crazy you get.

Al goes into much more detail in this book. Basically he says to think for yourself, listen to your own body, and above all else have fun with your exercising because it should be enjoyable and not grueling!

Al is also a huge fan of Zen meditation. This book is all about his personal mental approach to fitness and I hope that you can learn something helpful from it.

Attached is the book. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

[attachment=1117897:Zen_Mind__Strong_Body.pdf]

Edited by niemandgeist, 09 August 2015 - 03:42 PM.

• MetaMan47 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!