#1 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

if I had had to move from Iowa to start a new life ,where should I go?

lets say my mate won't be on earth to go with me ( medical problems), I won't go to family for reasons that are to many to get into.

I want to get some land to live on in a camper, tepee or a yurt I like legal weed and above all freedom.

can't handle a dessert, the heat would kill me.

I just want to disappear  from society,  be near a small town to buy needed items, and for med treatment. may not live that long myself.

I won't accept government assistance, I rely on myself.

don't have a lot of money to live on, but don't need much.

Colorado, California, Washington, Alaska ?  other states or just leave usa?

thanks for any ideas and input. what would you do?

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 12 September 2015 - 05:37 PM.

• happy4nic8r and Amanita Versicula like this

#2 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Not that I'm trying to get more people to migrate, but Oregon is really cool right now.

They are forging ahead on the recreational pot thing, with a supportive governor, and city council, (except for a few dick heads in the PD), They are trying to anticipate what the feds are going to require when they come around to legalizing, and put all that in place now.

It's not as cold as the northern states and still has pretty cheap land and housing.

No, NO sales tax. 

We live on the coast, but inland it gets much hotter, still not as hot as Californias' central valley, but we have 65 - 75 degrees year around, except for the occasional freak hot or cold spell.

• Heirloom , Amanita Versicula and Cigarsam like this

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

PNW would be a good choice, your kind of people.. I WOULD LOVE YOU TO LIVE THOUGH!!  i'm so sorry bout illnesses and oldness we are all working towards that. Hopefully where ever you go, you are able to live the way you want too. :hug: 

Edited by wharfrat, 12 September 2015 - 06:33 PM.

• Coopdog, Heirloom , happy4nic8r and 1 other like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

sorry, had to edit the above post.. i kinda jumped the gun before understanding the OP fully.. HS i owe you dearly for you being here, your friendship and generosity has allowed me to become a better person, i feel more of a connection to life and what it means to be alive. All this might come as a surprise to you, but believe me, it is how i feel. Hopefully you will move a lil closer (within driving distance). :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

• Heirloom and Amanita Versicula like this

#5 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:24 PM

wow ,I didn't expect this kind of response. I could live longer if I work at it and so could my mate.

sounds like its time to head west. we or I have our own income and need no help other than what counties

I might want to settle in.

got a camper with fridge  shower  full sized bed ..ect and solar panels to provide lights ,fan whatever I need.

wharf you are exaggerating  hugely, please any thing was my pleasure, helping me more than you.

got a lot to think about, I never expected this kind of response so quickly

• wharfrat and Amanita Versicula like this

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,605 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:48 PM

Washington state is an awesome place to live. I came out here back in 86 to visit and just fell in love with the place and never left. Come on out and you will have a few more regulars than just Wharfrat to hang with. Half a dozen of us within driving distance just that I know of. You would love it here I think. I know we sure do.

• Heirloom , wharfrat, happy4nic8r and 1 other like this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,128 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:50 PM

Montana is pretty cool! Your should check it out! I am living that lifestyle that you are describing HS. Lots of space in between people still.

[attachment=1118840:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442110041.641843.jpg]

Edited by coorsmikey, 12 September 2015 - 09:08 PM.

• Juthro, wharfrat and Amanita Versicula like this

#8 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

Montana is pretty cool! Your should check it out! I am living that lifestyle that you are describing HS. Lots of space in between people still.

yes, Montana is beautiful CM, and is fkng cold :)..

HS..

i suggest you take a visit to each of us, i'm more then happy to house you for a exploration.. check out this corner of the woods see if it feels right. we have room for you both or a camper..

• coorsmikey, Juthro, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,128 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

No joke! Wharfrat, it does get cold. - 30-40 for a couple weeks of the year. Well worth it though IMO
  • Juthro, Heirloom , wharfrat and 1 other like this

#10 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveller

• Free Member
  • 911 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

Alaska! Move there during the summer months. It's the most majestic place I have had a privilege to visit.
  • Juthro and Heirloom like this

#11 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,932 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

The west side of the smokie mountains in Tenn is called the Redoubt of the east. You can get lost in those beautiful mountains....

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 13 September 2015 - 02:33 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#12 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:36 PM

I've been through where yo live Heirloom, and was amazed to see the factory for EVERY product brand I have seen in the store along one highway. You need to go see the "shelf" end of what your area produces, it's a whole nother world.

I bet you can't even buy all the stuff they make there, that's the way it usually works, make it up and ship it out.

You might just go out to the highway and flip a coin, consider that it's going to be winter soon, and you need a place to keep warm and dry, even the desert gets cold in the winter.

I lived and worked my whole life for this retirement situation, now that I can go anywhere, and my pension checks will follow, I want to stay right here. Funny how that works.

• Heirloom likes this

#13 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• OG VIP
  • 262 posts

Donator

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

w0w~i too am thinking of relocation!

Have lived in Seattle. And Oregon-only for a brief period 6 mos. BUT that was way before i ever considered "creating" my own shrooms.

AND i do love foraging for foods; herbs; FUNGI. So PNW has this all for my exploration~

Am alone in this venture so its scary as well as leaving all my stuff behind. House-all the material stuff one can need. But stuff is not my thing as having "graduated" to a higher consciousness.

IT'S the FUKUSHIMA effects i am seeing HIT CA; which is out of the question for me (CA) had enuf of it there..

Would tell you Heirloom that you could PARK your camper in the woods behind my house. Because i would just appreciate having someone around that has Fungal Knowledge such as yourself!

As i am undecided (and my kid says i am gonna die in this house!) as to MOVING~being a big DECISION for an other wise former Gypsy.

Before "owning" all this stuff.                             BUT WA/OR are my considerations too....currently i am in the ever so expensive upper part of  NYS which IS most definitely a POLICE STATE!                 and want out!

Edited by Amanita Versicula, 13 September 2015 - 02:10 PM.

• Juthro, Heirloom and wharfrat like this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,352 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

Alaska! Move there during the summer months. It's the most majestic place I have had a privilege to visit.

It's nice here during the winter months too. All seven of them, lol.

It's not for everyone, but I cant see my self living anywhere else.
ma and jr in driveway.jpg
t swan.jpg
Mt Redout.jpg
homer spit.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 13 September 2015 - 04:17 PM.

• coorsmikey, wharfrat and Cigarsam like this

#15 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,629 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:40 PM

If you're willing to live in a camper or yurt.....
Why limit yourself?
Live everywhere. Follow your preferred season on the face of the Earth.
  • coorsmikey, Juthro, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,352 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:22 PM

Good point Myc.

There is something to be said for the migratory life style. I lived it for a time, and always enjoyed the freedom that came with it.

:)

#17 Alpine

Alpine

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 90 posts

Donator

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:31 AM

Northern California is nice good wilderness and lakes. I was recently wanting to move up into Oregon which is a REALLY green purty state but it stays a little more wet there especially the closer you get to Washington I'd say go no lower then Redding California or somewhere on the coast line or lower half of Oregon. (Crater lake is beautiful by the way) Weed California and Mt. Shasta City California (dunsmuir) area are small towns set in the wilderness (I usually go there for the morel mushroom festival each year)
JUST GET OVER HERE AND START ENJOYING MY BACKYARD! Lakes, mountains, trees, hot springs, waterfalls everything we all love! My dad is a truck driver and we have family up in Washington and family in Southern California he's been driving the 11 western states for the past 25 years. I was basically raised on the road so if you have any questions let me know.

I'd love to visit Alaska Juthro LUCKY!

Edited by Alpine, 14 September 2015 - 12:39 AM.

#18 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:12 AM

Northern California is nice good wilderness and lakes. . .

I'd say go no lower then Redding California or somewhere on the coast line or lower half of Oregon. (Crater lake is beautiful by the way) Weed California and Mt. Shasta City California (dunsmuir) area are small towns set in the wilderness (I usually go there for the morel mushroom festival each year)

Lies all lies. . .

Don't come here you won't like it.

The nature sucks (nothing of note to see here). . .

The weather is terrible (so cold and rainy all the time). . .

The drugs are bad (can't find decent weed any where). . .

The women are ugly (not a looker in the bunch). . .

And you can't bring your M85 (That's right Obama himself takes your guns at the state line). . .

IT'S the FUKUSHIMA effects i am seeing HIT CA; which is out of the question for me (CA) had enuf of it there..

And let us not forget about the Fukashima. . .

Edited by roscoe, 14 September 2015 - 11:13 AM.

#19 friendscat

friendscat

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 62 posts

Donator

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

Editting because I missed a post or two...

Is there somewhere you've always dreamed of going to? Do the "if I could go anywhere in the world, where would I go?" thing, and follow it. What do you have to lose?

You are a good friend and if there's anything I can do to help...

The Pacific Northwest seems like a good place, both Oregon and Washington. Oregon has a lot of kindred spirits and it's not as cold as some places. In Oregon you even have a lot of outright anarchists who thrive on being self-sufficient.

Personally, if it weren't for the war on drugs and its accompanying war between drug cartels, I would probably move to Mexico. There are some areas untouched by that crap, but not many... With a family, dodging bullets kind of becomes out of the question.

Edited by friendscat, 14 September 2015 - 01:30 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#20 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,835 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

why not Ecuador? or Peru? or Costa Rica? or.......

man, if your cash is spendable everywhere why not spend a bunch of time seeing it all?

this is kind of my ambition for my late years. Live Simple/Live Large

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!