#301 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

I am glad you didn't try to save those.

Man, the Taz looks great, and spore printing is about as important a skill as you can have.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

• snapshot706 likes this

#302 snapshot706

snapshot706

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:46 AM

I am glad you didn't try to save those.

Man, the Taz looks great, and spore printing is about as important a skill as you can have.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

MLBJammer, Thank YOU for sharing your golden wisdom. I would not be as far along as I am within 6 months without this site.

You are ALL so very much appreciated!!!

Edited by snapshot706, 01 December 2015 - 06:47 AM.

• MLBjammer, CatsAndBats and meyer like this

#303 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:47 PM

Man, my pleasure to help you along. Everything I learned was pretty much learned here and through my own trial and error (lots of errors).

At six months growing, you are a heck of lot farther along than I was. So good job and thanks for contributing to this monster thread.
  • spunforfun, CatsAndBats, snapshot706 and 1 other like this

#304 meyer

meyer

Its better to burn out, than fade away...

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

I was just thinking that this thread is like a movement now the way people are following it and contributing to it... might start to rank up there with the communal wood thread, well done.

I say we get an award started for the mods and administrators, either monthly or quarterly. It's a little early this month, but my vote is for Jammer!

Anyway, something to think about.

Edited by meyer, 01 December 2015 - 02:00 PM.

• MLBjammer, CatsAndBats, snapshot706 and 1 other like this

#305 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

He's got my vote. I do love this thread. I have to mirror what mlb said about how good y'all are doin' mere months into it. Bravo!

Edited by catattack, 01 December 2015 - 04:33 PM.

• MLBjammer, snapshot706 and meyer like this

#306 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:34 PM

Straight coir + gypsum in invitro bags is BACK!

• MLBjammer and Microbe like this

#307 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:39 AM

A big bag of grain spawn and coir is about as simple and effective as it gets.

I had forgotten all about this thread!

• sandman, Microbe and CatsAndBats like this

#308 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 7,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

We were talking about it in chat! I link it all the time for our newest members.

• MLBjammer likes this

#309 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

Man, I had no idea it got so much play.  I guess I should have done a better job writing this one up.

But I hope it helped some folks.  It works great for me, although I prefer a 50:50 Black Kow:coir mix.  The coir-only allows you to prep substrate quickly, especially if you have a bunch of grain you want to use in a hurry,

I always tend to think folks don't really check out my threads much; so it's always incredible to get some feedback.

Thanks, Cat!

• coorsmikey, Microbe, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#310 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,615 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

This is a great thread! I'm doing a coir verm gypsum tubs, but I would definitely do a coir only with grain because what I'm seeing now is some very large fruits using popcorn. Next attempt will be with oats.

Oats removes many steps that are necessary with popcorn, and everything I have read says it colonizes much faster, and more completely.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#311 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:48 PM

Just to be clear to any unfamiliar folks that might see that, uncolonized grain isn't mixed with the coir to be a substrate. It is spawned to the pasteurized coir after the grain is colonized. Thought it might read that way to someone.

• MLBjammer likes this

#312 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

Just to be clear to any unfamiliar folks that might see that, uncolonized grain isn't mixed with the coir to be a substrate. It is spawned to the pasteurized coir after the grain is colonized. Thought it might read that way to someone.

Shit! Now you tell me....

Edited by Microbe, 22 April 2017 - 09:53 PM.

• MLBjammer and coorsmikey like this

#313 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:46 AM

I sterilize coir in quart jars at 15 PSI for 30 minutes.  You can, of course, pasteurize the coir instead, but that is the way I do it.  I know this is a very long thread, lol.

Steampunk, you cannot go wrong with whole oats.  I will never use anything else for grain spawn.  Just remember--1 cup of oats to 1/2 cup of water, PC for 90 minutes at 15 PSI, shake well  after the PC run to distribute moisture evenly, and that is it.  

Edited by MLBjammer, 23 April 2017 - 04:48 AM.

• sandman and SteampunkScientist like this

#314 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,615 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

MLB, question, I know for popcorn you are supposed to do a "re-hydrate" step before mixing the colonized popcorn to the substrate.

Is this necessary for oats? I'm assuming it's not, because as I mentioned in my grow thread, I forgot to do that step, yet I am getting some nice, large, albeit somewhat sparse fruits (but they are kick ass!).

If that is the case, then yet another step removed!
  • MLBjammer likes this

#315 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

Added my great thread vote! Gonna put this on my short list of things to do.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#316 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

There's no need to rehydrate your spawn before spawning, pretty much ever.

• MLBjammer and SteampunkScientist like this

#317 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,149 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

I sterilize coir in quart jars at 15 PSI for 30 minutes.  You can, of course, pasteurize the coir instead, but that is the way I do it.  I know this is a very long thread, lol.

Steampunk, you cannot go wrong with whole oats.  I will never use anything else for grain spawn.  Just remember--1 cup of oats to 1/2 cup of water, PC for 90 minutes at 15 PSI, shake well  after the PC run to distribute moisture evenly, and that is it.

I posted that ratio of water accidentally once in error and years later Dlight still gives me grief about it. Unless one is using a lot of liquid culture, which is great with the said ratio. I find that is using spores or agar wedges that 1/3 cup water for every 1/2 cup grain is optimal. Thus if you go back in our posts and history of the "no prep grain" 2/3 water to one whole cup grain was standard. I happen to like using a shit ton of liquid culture to noc my grain and 1/2 cup water to one cup grain will absorb the excess water added from 20 ml of liquid added.
  • MLBjammer and SteampunkScientist like this

#318 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,918 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

Hey mikey! Curious what you consider a shit ton, how much LC do you use per quart jar or bag or whatever you do?

• MLBjammer likes this

#319 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,149 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

Hey mikey! Curious what you consider a shit ton, how much LC do you use per quart jar or bag or whatever you do?

I find that using 20-40 ml used on some slightly under hydrated grain will get me fully colonized spawn in 5 days. Using grain that has been PC'd a lil on the dry side will absorb the excess water from so much inoculant. However one must give the freshly innoculated jars a few shakes to keep the water from pooling on the bottom. I think this really good conversation, because there are so many ways to cook grain, but there is not much mention of how the additional water from liquid culture can over hydrate your spawn. It is often seen with PF cakes too. Like the 2:2:1 ratio is perfect for adding a few drops of spores, but shoot a whole syringe of LC in there people will often see more problems with stalling and bacteria contamination than normal. Sandy to answer your question, my perception of a shit ton of LC is approximately one 20ml syringe full.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#320 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:11 AM

I posted that ratio of water accidentally once in error and years later Dlight still gives me grief about it. Unless one is using a lot of liquid culture, which is great with the said ratio. I find that is using spores or agar wedges that 1/3 cup water for every 1/2 cup grain is optimal. Thus if you go back in our posts and history of the "no prep grain" 2/3 water to one whole cup grain was standard. I happen to like using a shit ton of liquid culture to noc my grain and 1/2 cup water to one cup grain will absorb the excess water added from 20 ml of liquid added.

I used the 2/3 cup water to 1 cup of grain ratio for a while, but I found it left the grain a little wet for my purposes.  So I lowered the water content to 1/2 cup per 1 cup of grain (whole oats).  I use either 2-3 MLs (CCs) of spore water or an agar wedge or G2G, and it comes out perfectly.

Mikey, you are using a full syringe of LC for a quart jar--or is it a larger spawn bag?

• SteampunkScientist likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!