326 replies to this topic

#321 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,378 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:13 AM

MLB, question, I know for popcorn you are supposed to do a "re-hydrate" step before mixing the colonized popcorn to the substrate.

Is this necessary for oats? I'm assuming it's not, because as I mentioned in my grow thread, I forgot to do that step, yet I am getting some nice, large, albeit somewhat sparse fruits (but they are kick ass!).

If that is the case, then yet another step removed!

Like Sandman said, you should never have to rehydrate colonized grain.  Once you mix it with your bulk, it should have all the moisture it needs for a good flush or two.

• SteampunkScientist and peacefrog like this

#322 sandman

sandman

Essence of Gypsum

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:50 AM

Wow, that is a true shit ton. 20ml to a quart jar right? By comparison I do 5ml LC to small spawn bags that contain 1.5 shakeable quarts of grain. 8-10 days from LC, visible growth on day 3.

• peacefrog likes this

#323 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

Mycotopia's only leucistic cat and bat hybrid©

• OG VIP
  • 7,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

MLB, question, I know for popcorn you are supposed to do a "re-hydrate" step before mixing the colonized popcorn to the substrate.

Is this necessary for oats? I'm assuming it's not, because as I mentioned in my grow thread, I forgot to do that step, yet I am getting some nice, large, albeit somewhat sparse fruits (but they are kick ass!).

Like Sandman said, you should never have to rehydrate colonized grain.  Once you mix it with your bulk, it should have all the moisture it needs for a good flush or two.

I agree with y'all in that one doesn't need to hydrate colonized grain, but since I adopted @hyphaenation's "milked grain super-inoc" method, I did start noticing that properly milked grain does seem to recover faster than g2g, so there may be something to the h2o "burst" that myceliated grain gets after a "milking". Just saying.

https://mycotopia.ne...ing-super-inoc/

Edited by CatsAndBats, 24 April 2017 - 09:34 AM.

• peacefrog likes this

#324 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

Hey mikey! Curious what you consider a shit ton, how much LC do you use per quart jar or bag or whatever you do?

I find that using 20-40 ml used on some slightly under hydrated grain will get me fully colonized spawn in 5 days. Using grain that has been PC'd a lil on the dry side will absorb the excess water from so much inoculant. However one must give the freshly innoculated jars a few shakes to keep the water from pooling on the bottom. I think this really good conversation, because there are so many ways to cook grain, but there is not much mention of how the additional water from liquid culture can over hydrate your spawn. It is often seen with PF cakes too. Like the 2:2:1 ratio is perfect for adding a few drops of spores, but shoot a whole syringe of LC in there people will often see more problems with stalling and bacteria contamination than normal. Sandy to answer your question, my perception of a shit ton of LC is approximately one 20ml syringe full.

Good point, Mikey. Since I don't use spore syringes, I tend to mix my cake material slightly under field capacity in order to allow a full syringe of LI per half pint jar. This doesn't mess up the moisture content at all and I can get very fast colonization speeds doing this. I haven't used LI or LC with grain in a long while now, as I just like the simplicity of agar wedges to grain masters. But the concept is the same and I understand exactly what you are saying.

#325 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,378 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

What's a full syringe?  10 MLs (or CCs)?  Per half pint?  Damn, you must make them dry!

#326 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• OG VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:36 PM

Yes sir

10ml syringes but I do believe they are actually 12 ml. A full syringe is past the 10 ml mark and appears ~2 ml more to my eyes. And yes I make um up where you hear a squishy sound and the material stays together, but no water drips out. But then again I always use 5 points of inoculation. And don't use modified lids for cakes.

Edited by peacefrog, 24 April 2017 - 06:41 PM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#327 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

Mycotopia's only leucistic cat and bat hybrid©

• OG VIP
  • 7,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

Hey mikey! Curious what you consider a shit ton, how much LC do you use per quart jar or bag or whatever you do?

I find that using 20-40 ml used on some slightly under hydrated grain will get me fully colonized spawn in 5 days. Using grain that has been PC'd a lil on the dry side will absorb the excess water from so much inoculant. However one must give the freshly innoculated jars a few shakes to keep the water from pooling on the bottom. I think this really good conversation, because there are so many ways to cook grain, but there is not much mention of how the additional water from liquid culture can over hydrate your spawn. It is often seen with PF cakes too. Like the 2:2:1 ratio is perfect for adding a few drops of spores, but shoot a whole syringe of LC in there people will often see more problems with stalling and bacteria contamination than normal. Sandy to answer your question, my perception of a shit ton of LC is approximately one 20ml syringe full.
Good point, Mikey. Since I don't use spore syringes, I tend to mix my cake material slightly under field capacity in order to allow a full syringe of LI per half pint jar. This doesn't mess up the moisture content at all and I can get very fast colonization speeds doing this. I haven't used LI or LC with grain in a long while now, as I just like the simplicity of agar wedges to grain masters. But the concept is the same and I understand exactly what you are saying.
Plus when one is using an LC I find one can be more liberal with the amount of moisture that one adds, as the myc fluid is completely myceliated. In a spore syringe the spores are suspended in water, in an LC the entirety of the fluid has mycelium. My theory is that the myc milk in its entirety is all a jumping off point that the potential colony will utilize more efficiently as opposed to spore water which saturates the cake. Does that make sense to y'all?

Plus as catattack/catsandbats devotees know, I'm a proponent of "too dry". It's just like cooking, one can always add more salt while cooking, in home mycology one can always add more moisture, it's way harder to subtract. Gnomesaying?!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 24 April 2017 - 07:00 PM.

• peacefrog likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!