• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#21 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 386 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

I also love coir and assume it has nutritional value and micro nutes that mushrooms need. I also add gypsum to it about two tbls to the gallon of water that I use to hydrate the coir.

I would love to see someone try a bag of just coir, I might have to try it when I get into bags.

• MLBjammer likes this

#22 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,182 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

LC would work to, but that tiny bit of sugar would skew the results in some peoples books... Coir2Coir transfer seems the closest to fair.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#23 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:52 PM

Thats a great idea hyph! Im at least a month or maybe more before i can get start a project. You going to try it?

I thought about LC also and assuming you let one sit until theres a good chance the nutes are depleted it could be a back up method. The problem i see is trying to get the inoculation points optimal without over saturating the coir. I think you nailed Hyphe with coir to coir transfer!

Edited by Microbe77, 19 September 2015 - 06:55 PM.

• happy4nic8r likes this

#24 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,182 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:54 PM

Just got a replacent pc ,could do. Be good if several people do it togther and compare notes/pics/results.
  • MLBjammer, happy4nic8r and meyer like this

#25 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

I could be ready in a few weeks i suppose. I have about 12 quarts of grain spawn and even though its about 4 months old, it just recovered nicely after pulling it out of the fridge and shaking it. I say nicely but it was slow. 3-4 quart bags took almost 3 days to recover but it is viable. So i could be ready in a few weeks. Shall we plan on it?
  • MLBjammer likes this

#26 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,182 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

Few weeks sounds good.

#27 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

That's awesome! Have you ever tried coir sub with no grain-spawn? I think people are saying coir itself with no grain spawn of any kind doesn't promote fruiting...like say coir 2 coir transfer or LC added to coir grow but nothing itself nutritous added. Love to see you or anyone show that. Mate0x tried as I recall and got no fruits. More research needed.

I don't think that is possible honestly.  I have tried to germinate from coir before--nothing--and I used both spores and tissue.  But it is essentially cellulose, so its possessing nutritional value is plausible.

This thread is only meant to show that one can grow bulk effectively with nothing but coir.  I have compared coir and vermiculite subs side by side, and the coir always performs better and colonizes faster.

Truly, countless legitimate research needs to be done in the field, well, of entheogens  generally.  There was such a stigma among legitimate scientists when it came to this field, but I think the landscape is changing--slowly.

• spunforfun, MycoRunner, Chancey and 3 others like this

#28 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:29 PM

MLB nice grow. what kind of bags would you suggest?
can I use locally bought plastic bags like very large zip lock or oven bags?

why sterilize the coir instead of pasteurize?

thanks

Thank you.  You want to use large storage bags--like the Ziplock big bags or some generic version.  Or you can order the bags that Sandman used from U-Line.  Essentially, you want about a 2'x2' bag.

I sterilize because it's faster.  You could also pasteurize, but it's slower.  I can prep 2 or 3 bags in one day by sterilizing.

• Heirloom Spores, happy4nic8r and meyer like this

#29 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

I'll cover the brf/coir in jars and see if that's a viable way of germinating spores,

if it does, that should make all kinds of coir2coir transfers possible.

I'll use a variety of spores, but azures will be on that list.

and I'll start my own post, Jammer has this one, and I don't mean to jump in here, it just gave me a whole new project line idea.

Thanks.

• MLBjammer and meyer like this

#30 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the great responses, and it's nice to spark a healthy discussion..

• PsyBearknot and Microbe like this

#31 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:37 PM

Anybody who wants to jump in and take this in a different direction, please have at it.  I am simply glad it has generated some interest.

:cool:

#32 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,182 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:41 PM

We'll do the 100% coir grow in another thread at another time. Thanks for the space to discuss it. We can also clean up this thread for off-topic banter.

Edit- lol, same time post

Edited by hyphaenation, 19 September 2015 - 07:42 PM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#33 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for all the great responses, and it's nice to spark a healthy discussion..

Healthy is key here. No arguing or unproductive debate. We all have diffrent views and opinions but it is such diversity that strengthens the community and we all can learn from one another.
  • MLBjammer and PsyBearknot like this

#34 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

You didnt expect this did you MLB? I too am glad to see all the responses. Now we just need several of us as Hyphe suggested, attempting a straight coir project over in the mycolab. I think that is where experimental projects take place.....
  • MLBjammer and snapshot706 like this

#35 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,265 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

coir is a lot cleaner than dung. never did a coir only grow.
got some burmas getting ready and will try a 50:50 grain spawn to coir.

years ago WR Grace sold a lot of vermiculite that contained asbestos. I think the two minerals
are often found together.

todays verm is supposed to be safer. I'm sure coir is way safer.

• MLBjammer likes this

#36 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:24 PM

I tried using straight coir to root clones, since I had it hanging around anyway, and it really DIDN'T work. I figured it was the pH, and started experimenting around with that, but found no answer there. It still is very good for transplanting, and mixing with soil with cannabis, but not for the rooting.

I saw that article about the asbestos in vermiculite, and don't look now but auto brakes are coming back with it in an altered form. It was always a great insulator, and material for heat blocking, only if you breathe tons of the dust, then it's like a shiny version of coal miner's black lung. Still a huge shiny mountain in Copperopolis where they shut down the mine.

• MLBjammer and Heirloom Spores like this

#37 MycoRunner

MycoRunner

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

I used to case with 50% coir 25% verm 25% dirt and got hummoungous piles of mushrooms every flush, 4 flushes per tub. Would usually throw them out before they even got contamed and they would usually flush a 5th time outside.
I like a lot of coir in my substrate too, usually 50% of the mix not including spawn.

How did using that casing compare to a "normal" casing? Did having a more nutritious casing layer affect the pinset?

When I try using vermiculite it gets everywhere and clumps up the casing which doesnt seem to make a good environment for pins...
  • MLBjammer likes this

#38 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• OG VIP
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:19 PM

Only tubs I've ever grown have been with that casing so I don't have anything to compare to but I did get really large flushes each and every flush in all the tubs I've grown out having that casing mix.

Edited by morfin-56, 19 September 2015 - 11:21 PM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#39 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:35 AM

Healthy is key here. No arguing or unproductive debate. We all have diffrent views and opinions but it is such diversity that strengthens the community and we all can learn from one another.

That statement is what separates this place from other popular sites in the OMC.  It's quite refreshing to see.

I never know what to expect, though.  Really, my only goal is to make growing easier for everyone.

• PsyBearknot and Heirloom Spores like this

#40 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,257 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:40 AM

coir is a lot cleaner than dung. never did a coir only grow.
got some burmas getting ready and will try a 50:50 grain spawn to coir.

years ago WR Grace sold a lot of vermiculite that contained asbestos. I think the two minerals
are often found together.

todays verm is supposed to be safer. I'm sure coir is way safer.

I would at least spawn 1:2 or 1:3 if I were you.  Coir is very safe.  I used it exclusively to grow these bags for about 6-8 straight months, and my results have been almost uniformly like the pics I posted in this thread.

And it is very clean to work with.  I only use vermiculite if I am doing cakes.  I don't think coir is a good substitute for vermiculite in cake mixes, as it dries out much faster--I know someone asked about that earlier in this thread.

• Heirloom Spores and meyer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!