• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ares

Ares

Mycotopiate

• Site Administrator
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

You could say I basically live on swamp land.  The mosquito and flying insects can get out of control on my property.  If not treated I can walk outside and be bit within minutes.  Not one or two bites but handfuls.   Normally I buy mosquito repellent liquid that you attach to your garden hose.  All you do is water your grass, house, or whatever you want with it.  In my experience it works for about 2 weeks.  Sometimes less if it rains hard for multiple days.  I wonder if this chemical repellent is worth it. I spray close to my garden but not close enough to soak it.  So when I tend to my garden I am eaten alive even when I am in long sleeve shirt, wearing a hat and jeans.  I rather have this happen then ingest the nasty chemicals when I harvest.

What does everyone else use to control these pesky creatures? 

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,853 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:12 PM

The thing with mosquitoes, is it is only the females that bite. I plant marigolds in between in the garden. They are a natural repellent. This will only help, and not that much. Obviously treat and eliminate any breeding water. For non toxic control, Permethrins work, but have little lasting duration. I had the best control with a contraption called a "Mosquito Magnet". It uses propane, (no flame) and an attractant. Once you start it up, place it far from where you spend time. They attract for 1/2 acre. The mosquitoes smell the attractant and the CO2, and home in. The machine has a vacuum fan that sucks them into a netted chamber. 

I was able to basically clear the yard, and keep it clear. The propane tank lasts about one month, as does the attractant bait. The catch chamber needs to be dumped at least weekly. It's rather horrifying how many get sucked in, never to bite or breed again.

• wildedibles, Juthro, Ares and 1 other like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,431 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

They can be quite bad here in AK. I generally have a long sleeve shirt that I have sprayed with DEET that I wear when in infested areas. I don't like the idea of carpet bombing the entire area with pesticides.

I have some friends that use one of these traps http://www.amazon.co...s=mosquito trap, but they are expensive, and you need to set it up where you want the bugs to go to, not where your trying to keep them from.

I personally dream about one of these automated laser defense systems, but I think it will be a few year's before that's practical :)

[Direct Link]

• wildedibles and Ares like this

#4 Ares

Ares

Mycotopiate

• Site Administrator
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

Has anyone tried this?

[Direct Link]

• Juthro and happy4nic8r like this

#5 entheonaut

entheonaut

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

I have a friend who makes a natural mosquito repellent by soaking lavender in something, can't remember what offhand. Hafta get back to you on that...

#6 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:13 PM

I knew a dude who made a fly trap that was similar to this. He put a motor inside a 5 gal bucket with a piece of fishing line that spun the diameter of the bucket. Some rotting meat for bait and turned it on. 

It silently killed two inches of flies in a day, and after a week the bucket was almost full, never changed the bait. 

It's surprising to me that insects that spend all day flying around except when they are eating, could be so stupid as to go near a wind effect machine.

I have a friend who makes a natural mosquito repellent by soaking lavender in something, can't remember what offhand. Hafta get back to you on that...

Let me know if you find info on this, I have tons of lavender.

• wildedibles likes this

#7 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:19 PM

You need to show the mosquitoes that you're a good person and they'll leave you alone. My ex always got eaten up by mosquitoes big time. It was a sign. I'm out in the woods and around all the time and they just want to say hello.

Edited by niemandgeist, 19 September 2015 - 07:19 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!