Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

The Concept of Mental Willness as Opposed to Mental Illness

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,683 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

So I just came up with this after reading a post from a fellow Topian about possibly dealing with mental illness.

I have a serious mental illness. These days they call it Bipolar Disorder, but they used to call it Manic Depression.

I've been through a lot of shit, but I'm a well-adjusted happy, active people person with lots of hobbies these days. Hard to believe I tried to kill myself a long time ago and whatsuch and that I've been in and out of short and long-term mental hospitals in my teens, but hey: Shit happens and change happens slowly over the years. That was a long time ago.

I consider myself mentally ill medically, but I feel I have more of a Mental Willness (Or a mental willingness, but willingness doesn't sound as niffy as Willness). I've been pretty stable for many years and am doing OK mentally and physically.

I feel that there are a bunch of people here with bipolar disorder and other things (I tried to tag borderline personality disorder in this post but there wasn't enough space) that, over time, have found a way to be better-balanced and well-adjusted in their own way.

Just because you've seen some shit and have a diagnosis that is legitimate doesn't mean you're fucked.

So: Mental Willness. A Willingness to change and look positively (whenever possible) to the future or at your present situation, the strong Will to do it with and rely upon, and a Wellness within. So: Wellness/Willingness ==> Mental Willness.

Thoughts? Comments? Stupid off-topic shit that might make us laugh? POST IT!

Edited by niemandgeist, 08 October 2015 - 03:53 PM.

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles and SteampunkScientist like this

#2 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:08 PM

I found out a long time ago, back when your disease was called "schizophrenia", that I get along so perfectly with those people, all of my wives, my children (2 out of 3) and most of my friends.

For some reason there is a greatness about those people that is catching and can make a person like me, thrive in their own existence.

I don't know why that is, I'm just ranting at this point, and I'm not sure what they would call me, hell I've only posted 2400 times on this site in a short period of time, i'm sure there's been opinions formed.

One thing is for sure, I can type pretty fast, but not as fast as you!!!!!!!

Edited by happy4nic8r, 08 October 2015 - 04:09 PM.

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles, niemandgeist and 1 other like this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 11,554 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

Christ yes!  Have you ever been in a chat with Neim? 

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles, niemandgeist and 1 other like this

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

That scares me to think of trying to keep up with him..............

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles and niemandgeist like this

#5 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

I'm so happy to hear you have got such a positive attitude man!! In my experience a good positive attitude is one of the sole things that keep us going... Medications can help but they can only take us so far... We have to do the rest.

(I am diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and depression)

I find being aware and accepting that my brain works a bit differently than some peoples, not being bummed out or scared of it, but just accepting it and working with it is sooooo much more productive than fighting with it... I am starting to Learn how I work as a person, work with it and keep a positive outlook on things and that is what is really helping me love a healthy and happy life.

Anyway I've started rambling now a bit but man, I'm so happy to hear that you are doing good and practicing that mental willness ;) I really dig your explanation...

Love and peace from me to you,
-Ethno
  • wildedibles, niemandgeist and SteampunkScientist like this

#6 entheonaut

entheonaut

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

(I am diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and depression)

Same here, though misdiagnosed several times over the years (including bipolar) and put on all sortsa zany meds that didn't ultimately help. Also diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome only 3 years ago after a lifetime in the dark. It was like a veil being lifted from my eyes, like I suddenly didn't feel like I was crazy anymore. 

So it seems Mental Willness (great terminology btw) has been a huge factor with me all along. Ever since I opened my mind in my late teens, it's been a constant, sometimes slow, sometimes in short spurts or great leaps and bounds, but always continually seeking, changing, evolving, transcending, and whatever else. There are ups and downs--I've flirted with suicide myself--but I've always had that desire to explore and know more about myself and the world, and that's where I'm at today. I feel more creatively inspired and fulfilled than I have in a lifetime, yet at the same time it seems that I still have time to do just about whatever. A change in scenery helped my peace of mind and well-being immensely.

Also wanna mention part of my Willness is taking steps toward getting off SSRIs... I've decided they ain't good for numerous reasons. Much prefer God's medicine. Will save the details for another post.

~~Go in Peace

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles, niemandgeist and 2 others like this

#7 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,683 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

Christ yes!  Have you ever been in a chat with Neim? 

That scares me to think of trying to keep up with him..............

The secret is just wanting to type programming code to make my computer when I was 12 years old do some kind of interesting shit because I fucking told it to when I didn't know how to type and I had no internet. I had to steal my Dad's stash of shitty Club and Hustler magazines from the basement along with sneaking VHS (REMEMBER THAT SHIT?!) tapes when the folks weren't home to satisfy those teenage desires and whatsuch.

I learned to touch-type pretty quickly at age 16 I think pretty well. I just got faster from then on from practice.

I'm the kind of person where, if you give me a certain few tasks that are always done a certain way, and you give me enough time, I will get REALLY freaking efficient at doing that shit to fucking Jedi level status and whatnot.

Give me a task where I get thrown different shit randomly every day and I can do OKAY but not neary as well.

I ain't no fucking Superman, DANG IT.

I'm so happy to hear you have got such a positive attitude man!! In my experience a good positive attitude is one of the sole things that keep us going... Medications can help but they can only take us so far... We have to do the rest.

I find being aware and accepting that my brain works a bit differently than some peoples, not being bummed out or scared of it, but just accepting it and working with it is sooooo much more productive than fighting with it... I am starting to Learn how I work as a person, work with it and keep a positive outlook on things and that is what is really helping me love a healthy and happy life.

Anyway I've started rambling now a bit but man, I'm so happy to hear that you are doing good and practicing that mental willness ;) I really dig your explanation...

Love and peace from me to you,
-Ethno

We all get thrown a lot of shit in life. As we get into or past our twenties I feel we either pussy/falter out or we figure some way to at least TRY to deal with it. The most important thing is knowing that help is always there if we ask for it. Good to see I'm not the only person plugging along, even if it seems tedious.

Same here, though misdiagnosed several times over the years (including bipolar) and put on all sortsa zany meds that didn't ultimately help. Also diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome only 3 years ago after a lifetime in the dark. It was like a veil being lifted from my eyes, like I suddenly didn't feel like I was crazy anymore. 

So it seems Mental Willness (great terminology btw) has been a huge factor with me all along. Ever since I opened my mind in my late teens, it's been a constant, sometimes slow, sometimes in short spurts or great leaps and bounds, but always continually seeking, changing, evolving, transcending, and whatever else. There are ups and downs--I've flirted with suicide myself--but I've always had that desire to explore and know more about myself and the world, and that's where I'm at today. I feel more creatively inspired and fulfilled than I have in a lifetime, yet at the same time it seems that I still have time to do just about whatever. A change in scenery helped my peace of mind and well-being immensely.

Also wanna mention part of my Willness is taking steps toward getting off SSRIs... I've decided they ain't good for numerous reasons. Much prefer God's medicine. Will save the details for another post.

~~Go in Peace

Just as I posted: I knew that I wasn't alone here on this board and that my attitude wasn't my own.

I just wish that more people who are having a tough time could plug on through.

Hopefully more of them decide to find this forum and start posting!

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles, SteampunkScientist and 1 other like this

#8 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:27 PM

Niem keeps a full size keyboard in his pants, connected to his mobile phone...

Me? Well I was diagnosed as not respecting authority and having too much "imagination" which caused me to be hyper. Good thing that was before ritilin or they would have tried to make me a zombie. Also my parents pretty much told the school psychologist to shove it up his ass.

Dodged a bullet there!
  • wildedibles likes this

#9 entheonaut

entheonaut

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:20 PM

Actually, been feeling somewhat depressed and unmotivated these last few days...highly common when coming off these drugs. Fortunately past the difficult weening-off period. Guess it's a reminder that while things are better overall, my mood is still far from static. 

• wildedibles likes this

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,554 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

I got diagnosed at age 23 as ADHD (actually, that diagnosis didn't even exist yet -- it was still, "hyperactive child syndrome") and had Ritalin prescribed at that age.  This was a leading shrink in the field at the time.  I hated the drug that made me feel like I was falling on my face suddenly at odd times.  What I got from that diagnosis was another way to look at the social and school life I had known as being something other than "problem child."  I had already taken acid and that nice neat world of robots (including that shrink) wasn't going to get me back. 

• wildedibles and niemandgeist like this

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

Love this idea :)

Sometimes we can have an illness for our life time no cure but we have good times in remission (workin hard to stay having a mental illness is not as straight foward as other diseases
Sometimes a life time sometimes not
I know i have had mrntal issues since i was a kid but i have the willness right now for better things
Striving to give that inner me a hug and keep going even if things get tuff
Its the will why we are still here ;) its a good thing to share to keep others positive in some really tuff times
  • Alder Logs and niemandgeist like this

#12 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:26 PM

They didn't do much "diagnosing" where I grew up, in Canada.

People were locked up, or disappeared who were unsociably unacceptable.

I found the Aspergers and other similar tests did explain parts of my personality profile, but since there is no cure, or good drugs to take for that syndrome, what's the upside?

The blessing for me came when I could afford to drop out of society, become a hermit, and not influence people with my example.

I never realized how many people were actually paying attention to me for whatever reason, and the far reaching reputation I had amongst the good Christians of the community.

Thank Dog that, and my dyslexia, are things of the past.

• wildedibles, Alder Logs and niemandgeist like this

#13 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,683 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

I'd have thought that, with the health care in Canada, mental health care would be better than in the USA.

I suppose, apart from Norway (Mental hospitals are ones you get to go to every day or part time and come back home instead of inpatient! I know! I have internetfriends in Norway and Iceland and shit who have bipolar disorder!) Iceland also has pretty lenient "mental hospital" things. You can walk there every day/few times a week/month even and then get to sleep at night at home provided you aren't an immediate threat to yourself or others.

I realize lately how important physical health is to mental health.

I am a VERY active 33-year-old male.

I run or jog or sprint or powerwalk/speedwalk up hills every day while doing freelance work and working part time now at a job where I get paid to lift/move/push/pull heavy things in the cold. I exercise 2x or 3x a week, too beyond that.

My medications for bipolar disorder have worked amazingly since 2008, but it wasn't until I took up regular daily exercise and started eating more healthy for several years that I noticed AMAZING improvements.

I also want to say that occasional lower-dose psilocybin mushroom use has seemed to help. I haven't tripped since early September, though, of this year. Of course I imagine that psilocybin use while NOT ON medications would be possibly bad for me.

EVERYBODY is different, though, so don't think "Niemend seems to respond well to mushroom treatment" and go "I will respond similarly so."

I'm just glad that, even though last month and recently when I was stressed, drinking too much (drinking impedes good sleep), not sleeping enough, etc. I was able to quickly recover. Some of you probably have read some of those weird posts of mine.

I now realize that, at my age, I need to be extra careful about how much I drink and about my sleep schedules. I can stay out ONE night really late drinking with friends and meeting amazing women at bars and whatnot, but I NEED to get sleep immediately after and I can ONLY do one night. Even while drinking I need to be careful about it and pace myself.

Five years ago I used to be able to do whatever, go sleepless nights with booze and etc., but no longer.

Part of mental wellness with mental illness is balance and learning what your limits are!

• wildedibles, Alder Logs and porto69 like this

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,554 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

One thing that Mooji tells people when they begin with their particular syndrome or illness as to who they are is, "Do not identify as a disease."  I can see now how much I did exactly that for so many years.  I guess, wanting others to understand me, and even wanting a way to understand myself as something other than "problem child," that I habitually presented my person as its mental and cognitive issues.  But since, by some grace, the way I travel now is to let go of all constraints of self-image and personality, with ADHD no longer being at the front of these. A conscious direction has been taken to leave these old habits behind.  I am presently going through major changes, but being extra alert about making another created identity out of any of it.  I would prefer to introduce myself as...  "Nobody!"

I wound up as almost a skeleton with an illness at the end of August.  I was underweight when I got sick and lost another twenty pounds.  I knew I did not want to turn myself over to the VA and just have them give me pills.  I, with the help of a friend, sought out a doctor of naturopathy. The closest one of interest to where I do my commerce was an hour and a quarter away.  He was the one that got the nod.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  It turned out that he is deeply into Chinese medicine.  His diagnosis, my yang needs strengthening.  I had my first moxibustion and acupuncture treatment last Friday with the doc's suggestion I attend his Qi Gong class the next day.  I look at the obvious health and vitality of this man who is only two years younger than I, and think, "I'm doing what this guy tells me to do." 

And so, I have set out on a course that is designed and reputed to strengthen the organs (but really much more).  I see that my whole physical/mental/spiritual being is being taken into consideration. I am excited and motivated.  I feel all three of those kinds of energy on the rise already.  Trying to do some of the Qi Gong moves makes me feel like Klutzy the Klown, but I don't care.  I will get this, and I will strengthen my organs, leading to the strength of the whole body.  I will do it all with detachment, because I don't do it to be somebody.  I do it to make a better suited vessel for a nobody.  Being somebody won't make me any happier than I am right now.  Trust me, I am very happy, as really, nothing is needed to be happy.  Anything else is a story we sold ourselves on.

And so, Niemand, I would have to think you would really love this Yi Gun Gin style of Qi Gong.  Wilde, you too might like it.  It's billed as a complete body replacement.  The one I have is pretty used up, so what the hay? 

I found this searching the net:

Yi Gun Gin

Yi Gun Gin, meaning the classic of tendon exchange, is the most famous known exercise secretly kept within the Shao-Lin priests for 4500 years. It is not an exaggeration to say that the worldwide leading reputation in the martial arts earned by the Shao Lin Temple is mainly attributed to this simple and easy-to-learn exercise. It is exactly this secret exercise that made the Shao Lin priests almost indestructible, having the ability to protect themselves from even knife stabbing and to practically walk through a wall.

This exercise can strengthen the entire body, inside and outside, physically as well as mentally, by developing the internal power called, chi. As a result, the practitioners seem to substitute their old bodies with a whole new set of tendons, muscles and bones that are much stronger than before. That is why is it was named Yi Gun Gin by the High Priest Da Mar who was the creator of this exercise. Da Mar also erected the famous Shao Lin Temple and originated Kung Fu.

Yi Gun Gin were not revealed to anyone until one hundred years after the death of Da Mar, when a notebook describing these exercises was accidentally discovered inside the deteriorated wall in the bedroom where Da Mar used to live. Although the Shao Lin Priests were enjoying the invaluable benefit of these exercises for thousands of years, nobody in the outside world could have the privilege of learning them until today.

Yi Gun Gin can be practiced by anyone of any age and in any physical condition. No equipment of any sort is required. It requires space only big enough for a person to stand, and can be performed at anytime of the day.

The doc said he first saw these exercises with descriptions and photos, by and of, a Shao Lin priest, in a Parade Magazine Sunday newspaper supplement around '79 to '81.  He practiced it for years, but not totally correctly because of the poor photo quality in the newsprint.  He lost this article with all his stuff when he had a house fire.  One day he was walking through the stacks in Powell's Books in Portland and saw a small book sticking out from a high shelf.  He reached up for what turned out to be the book version that the Parade article was taken from.  He then corrected the one exercise he'd been doing wrong for years. 

He said that it is said that when one does the 12 quick forms, 49 reps each, three times a day, for three years, without missing once, that a blade cannot penetrate through the skin, the chi has become so strong. 

I should be walking through walls in a little over three years, eh?

I told the doc after the class that it is a great motivation and inspiration just seeing the strength in his arms as he did the full 49 reps of each of the 12 forms at the end of the class.

On edit:

Just to clarify, the 49 reps is the maximum.  Starting out, as many reps as one is comfortable doing, starting with one each, adding two when ready, for three reps each.  It was said that one should always add two and keep the number of reps an odd number.  So it's one, three, five, seven, and so on up to 49.  I hope you can find someone who teaches if you are wanting to do this.

Edited by Alder Logs, 20 October 2015 - 12:17 AM.

• wildedibles likes this

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,554 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

Just for clarification:

gallery_131808_1351_2217.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 20 October 2015 - 11:43 AM.

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#16 Ovoideocystidiata

Ovoideocystidiata

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:18 AM

mental illness sucks, especially what it some to auditory hallucinations.  I've tried out all of the meds thatt he psychiatric would prescribe.  i think adderall and vicodin would help me more than the medications currently prescribed.  i was prescribed adderall for a long time and took very light doses of pain meds(for pain, not recreation purposes).  there seems to be an epidemic of people who are prescribed pain meds that sell then.  they are easieir to buy on the streets than to get them through a doctor. that is why i can not acquire then legally.  what a pain!

Edited by Ovoideocystidiata, 05 November 2015 - 12:20 AM.

• wildedibles likes this

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:59 AM

Alderlogs i find it very cool that you are going to see someone into chinese type healing accupunture herbals and the accoiated exersizes :) i have found a medical doctor that gives me accupunture and herbal meds as well as perscriptions if needed but more on the natural side is what i prefer :)
I told the doc that i practice reflexology he does something simular knoeing accupuncture and accupressure ;) so i understand the different points on my body these points are used in martial arts as well and if practicing the different stances you can strengthen the body and help the body flow better
I find it facinating that the way we use herbals are so different chinese vs european herbal healing but they have over three thousand years of practicing how long has western medicine been around for?
And for that matter my herbal teachings ony go back so far as witches books were burned with the witch getting rid on possible our ancient healings along with it
I am lucky finding this doctor as he is trying to heal my whole body instead of putting a band aid on it till later ;)
I just had an apointment about an hour and we discussed mpre of my feelings than my physical body he let me know i am keeping too much of my feelings bottled up cause i do not like feeling angry i push it away and dont let that feeling be expressed before it builds too high then when i do let it out it is explosive instead of talking it out before it builds
The doc knew something was up cause my pulse was high so he dug thpes feelings out and shpwed me ways to talk it out with my friends ;)
  • Juthro likes this

#18 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 11,554 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Niemandgeist, you haven't checked in for a while.

I am hoping all is going well with you. 

• wildedibles likes this

#19 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:55 AM

I was thinking the same Juthro??

Where did our buddy go??

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:10 AM

I wanted to share in my mental wellness that i have been having latley :)
The last few days how i handel stress has been different instead of it eating at me bugging me making me worrie worrie and bug others cause it bugs at me but the last few days i have let it roll off me
I go over what needs to be done set a time for that thing and not worrie about it cause it will be just fine ;) this has helped me feel so much better
I have been taking a few different chinese herbal combinations i know i have been getting benifits with them let the healing continue :)
  • Ovoideocystidiata and Alder Logs like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!