Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Sustainable World? I think we can make it happen...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

never had the pleasure of caviar, sole halibut. my mom loved perch. I got a basrment. My sister told me she can get me the barrels fo next to nothing. She like the idea too.

I have been thinking of boilers to , I hear they got some that are very efficient .
 I think I can easly do a cold water fish in my basement.

I really got to look into this more, I want to do so many things before I am to old.

• Il19z8rn4li1 likes this

#42 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:36 PM

never had the pleasure of caviar, sole halibut. my mom loved perch. I got a basrment. My sister told me she can get me the barrels fo next to nothing. She like the idea too.

I have been thinking of boilers to , I hear they got some that are very efficient .
 I think I can easly do a cold water fish in my basement.

I really got to look into this more, I want to do so many things before I am to old.

modern day thinking and tech makes boilers damn good heating sources.

Combined a boiler with a good solar system that can handle say a 1kW heater, and your in serious

business for keeping water temps up in the 70-78'F range imo.

I have yet to finish my damn heater, but NOW i can start it because I was in search of a 30gal drum,

but didnt find one, so now im going with what I have, 55gal ... meh.. big boy lol

SOOO im going to build this heater on a treated pallet and set it on cider blocks so that I can use forks

to lift it and move it in the future.  Mobility = a good thing to have :P

Do some trout.

In 55 gallon barrels.. to be nice to the fishies, id only put about 15 trout total.

Have mabye .. 8-10 barrels

and id make sure that your water inlet makes a nice circular current in the barrel, so that the

trout can just sit in one spot and tread water, which is pretty much what they do in rivers lol. 

You can get quite creative with this stuff.

There are CORRECT CONCEPTS to follow... but there is no right method in achieving those concepts. 

• Heirloom likes this

#43 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,574 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

Boilers are very widely used here in AK. And we certainly need the most efficient systems we can get here.

Generally the most efficient ones use propane or natural gas to fire them. Though there are plenty of fuel oil or wood fired systems out there as well. But they are used mostly in areas that don't have NG, and have trouble getting propane.
  • Heirloom likes this

#44 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

thanks for the good advise. I am getting 4 barrels for only &5 eack , I got a clean 30 gallon steal barrel with a metal lid. might  get a water heater if needed, got natural gas.

I got a large pool I used to raise alligators in , only 2 at a time up to 4feet before I gave then away to a breeder in missouri, covered with wire on top. and a pond kit, lots of air pumps and water pumps.

I raised them in my house , they lept the bad people away. scared the hell out of my dogs  I used to jole to people if anyone breaks on I won't call the law , but my gators will eat for a while.

thinking of using my waste water in 4x8 hydro units to grow greens in , built by using 12"x2"  wood 4'x8'  lined with plastic using a 4x8 stryofoam floating plant holder got this idea from the university of florida, got a large flow table.

I made a unit for my mom she grew tomatoes so tall she could reach out of her 2nd story window and pick them, right in her kitchen.

I am pleased to say my sister wants to do this too. I got a big yard, 2 apple trees a cherry tree rasberrys ,strawberries, grapes.
when I am done it will look like an earth ship, with a creek though the back. 2 greenhouses, one my sister wants.. I am even allowed to have a few chickens. ever eat quail eggs ,love duck eggs.

wow I am so excited . while I will do research [lease if you know something pleas contribute you knowledge.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 17 November 2015 - 02:33 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#45 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:18 PM

CHOOKS!!!!

Im getting my first two chickens this coming spring.

Gunna get me two Silkies, so i can put fertlized duck eggs under them so they will hatch

them for me and I dont need an incubator :) 

PLus ill get some extra bonus chicken eggs.

Going to snag a few more ducks too, im thinking about some peckins or mascovies.... ill have to do my

research, Im thinking of maybe getting 1 of each.. see what one I like best.

Maybe ill get a runner too.. those are a trip lol

#46 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:45 PM

I had a friend with a gator named, "Grits."  He was 28 inches when I first met him.  He was 54 inches when he moved to the Woodland Park Zoo.  He got pretty unmanageable over four feet.  No one who hasn't seen how fast a warm gator can move would not believe it, or how far they can jump.  My friend used to say, gators wont ever be your friend.  They know somewhere in that little reptile brain of theirs that they will someday be big enough to put you on the menu. 

#47 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:58 AM

ll19z my sister loves her silkies they got a unique look, mascovies are a south American duck whose meat is compared to red meat from mamals, said to be a great eat.  ever look into turkens they look like little vultures to me no feathers on the neck.

there are so many chicken varieties that look so different , guinea 's are interesting. maybe you will end up with your own turkeys.

good luck

Alder, tea  gators are as friendly as rattle snakes, I won't do them again. cleaning there tank is like emptying a septic tank .
 they are an experience , I wanted to kill them to eat the tails but got emotional attached, or respected them to much.

#48 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

When Grits was still here, it just seemed that some drunks had to reach out their hands to him.  This often proved to be an unwise move.

• Heirloom likes this

#49 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:52 PM

iIwas a heavy drinker when I got them as a gift, they bit me good
freaked out people as I was bleeding but appeared to be pain free.
Got most of my hands. the bites were mostly on top  and palms.

I would drink a little to much then handle them for pics or company.
I mostly fed them fish or chicken. I had huge tuns of fish to feed them.
bait stores though I spent all day fishing buying bait and such., when I got rid of them they lost a lot of biz.

• Alder Logs likes this

#50 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

ll19z my sister loves her silkies they got a unique look, mascovies are a south American duck whose meat is compared to red meat from mamals, said to be a great eat.  ever look into turkens they look like little vultures to me no feathers on the neck.

there are so many chicken varieties that look so different , guinea 's are interesting. maybe you will end up with your own turkeys.

good luck

Alder, tea  gators are as friendly as rattle snakes, I won't do them again. cleaning there tank is like emptying a septic tank .
 they are an experience , I wanted to kill them to eat the tails but got emotional attached, or respected them to much.

Nice, I cant wait till spring time, Im already looking into the chooks and additional ducks for spring, not to mention

bees, my orchard trees and bamboo.

Check out this duck that I cleaned up for this past Thanksgiving.

It was tasty.  FIrst duck I ever culled and cleaned and roasted.

I over cooked it a tad, but I know better for next time now.

This Xmas im going to cull 2 more ducks, which will leave me with my 3 keepers.

Ill tell you this though...

Plucking the feathers was a hell of a lot easier then everyone made it out to seem.

It was harder "cleaning/butchering" the duck compared to the plucking. 

But like everything else in the world... practice will only increase skills :) 

Im really excited to actually clean up the next 2 ducks,

my 5yr old niece and 12yr old nephew are going to watch and help and most importantly

LEARN.  Im going to let them witness every aspect of the job.  From chopping their head off

to putting it into the pan or oven :)

This next 2 im going to roast one again, but going to just breast out the other one and cut off

the legs, not much more meat then that unless you wanna pick with your fingers and get

extra greasy lol

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG2325.jpg
  • IMAG2328.jpg

• Heirloom likes this

#51 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

A good Uncle can have teach so much, giving skills to last a lifetime.
I had several good Uncles, one taught me to clean my first fish, taught me a lot.

The guidance a family can provide is priceless, the reverence for the lives that nourish us.

• Skywatcher likes this

#52 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:38 PM

Joel Salatin -

"Nobodys getting hungry in the world because of lack of food, people are getting hungry because

of lack of distrubution and spoilage" 

^^^ EPIC.

I just started reading and listening to Joel about ... 4 months ago...

AND WHOLE SHIT, wish I found this guy 7 yrs ago when I started gardening for a living. 

Im happy to say that I think and am very similiar to Joel and I couldnt be any more happy with that  :)

He's really made me consider renting some land in my state to raise some Chooks and Pigs !!

this stuff isnt hard at all... and if you have a love for producing quality food and produce... he

has a lot of great insight and wisdom that can cure the world.

Truly amazing stuff he does with pasture animals. 

Combine that with vegetables and fish and mushrooms...

We can feed the world..

I fucking hate it when ignorant people always say...

"we cant feed the world the natural way, that is why we use machines and chemicals"

(now im not against the machines or chems, just against the choice of method that is used

to utilize such amazing human advancements...)

but more food TODAY spoils before it even can reach peoples mouths.

Hey though.. I guess people like eating shit tasting tomatoes and horribly treated animals.

despicable...

NOT ME EVERYONE !!! NOT ME lol

Progress forward is the way :)  

and If its a rightous act... then fuck what the law says. 

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 15 December 2015 - 10:41 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#53 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

had to share this video I just found.

Pretty epic... and dude lie,, thats a cheap fucking build... even if you had to buy all
the parts.

reuse if possible though, thats very important. 
I got a "reusable materials" pile/shortage area lol.. and no, its not all scrap and junk lol.. thats
a whole different pile.  Its neat and tidy though, I swear. 

• Alder Logs likes this

#54 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

Yea... this talk was recorded in 2006...... lol 

[Direct Link]

• Alder Logs likes this

#55 Il19z8rn4li1