Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

The Photography Forum, Pictures, Sharing, Tips, and enjoyment (Part I)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2957 replies to this topic

#81 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:21 PM

Always bucking around, aren't you Alder....

:)

Nice pic my friend.

#82 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

Alright Pharmer, I am messing around with my manual settings and finding where I can improve from auto's point and shoot.

It was crystal clear tonight and here is a freehand shot of the moon that was much nicer then then the "auto" version. It was one of about half a dozen, and the biggest lesson I learned from looking at my pics, is that I need a tripod for these kind of pic's.

moon.jpg
  • Skywatcher and skunk like this

#83 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,753 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:14 AM

Alright Pharmer, I am messing around with my manual settings and finding where I can improve from auto's point and shoot.

It was crystal clear tonight and here is a freehand shot of the moon that was much nicer then then the "auto" version. It was one of about half a dozen, and the biggest lesson I learned from looking at my pics, is that I need a tripod for these kind of pic's.

attachicon.gifmoon.jpg

It's that ever an awesome photo! Smashing Job on the photo.

Skunkbudda403

#84 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:00 AM

well done grasshopper. that's very steady for hand held.

what were the settings for the moon pic?

I'm guessing wide open aperture and 60 for the shutter?

and have you looked into ISO yet?

Edited by pharmer, 17 November 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#85 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,753 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

Photo for today......

43f9376b2c964ef8c51328a96e4f7902.jpg

c5c921bb4d0c79ec79805abb8830b76b.jpg

Skunkbudda
  • dial8, Ovoideocystidiata and Amanita Versicula like this

#86 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

what were the settings for the moon pic?

IIRC.... F 7.1, 1/40th, and iso 200

In retrospect I wish I had tried one wide open on the aperture now that I think about it. But the biggest difference I noticed was that in auto it was running my iso up to 9000 something? I assume it was trying to lighten the sky, witch it did some. But it was washing out the moon and making it just a white crescent in the sky. And at least half of my pics were victims of wiggling, and were badly blurred, but I got lucky on this one.

Thank you Skunk, you have been sharing some wonderful pics yourself my friend. :)

Edit: It's given me the bug, and now I find myself looking at bigger, nicer lenses (not that I dislike the ones I have). Just this morning a Sigma 50-500mm was looking quite seductively at me, at least until I looked closer at the price.

Some day, but not today.

Edited by Juthro, 17 November 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#87 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,034 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

I think I see where this is all headed, Juth.

gallery_131808_1351_16739.jpg

• dial8 and Juthro like this

#88 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

I have the Sigma 150-500 and love it. Yes, it set me back a few bucks but it can't be beat for wildlife stuff in godz country, Juthro, if you catch my subtle drift.

for example: cropped and zoomed once. shot at the full 500. nice and clear which I take to indicate good glass and stabilizer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sigma 150 500 at 500 and cropped.jpg

Edited by pharmer, 17 November 2015 - 01:35 PM.

• Skywatcher, Alder Logs, Juthro and 1 other like this

#89 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

Pharmer, what is your opinion of teleconverters?

#90 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:32 PM

I don't own any. Did some research a while back and came to the conclusion that they're not for me. IIRC not much gain, some loss of light, and some distortion around the edges of the image.

Lenses are quite precise performers and designed to do it within very limited ranges of conditions. Adding a teleconverter, for instance, monkeys with those limited conditions.

Maybe another photographer can find a creative use for them, but I'm not that creative.

#91 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:33 AM

ISO is more electronic voodoo. somehow changing the setting for ISO changes the sensitivity of the sensor chip and tells it to allow the camera to gather more light OR to make an image that APPEARS to have been exposed better.

the downside to high ISO settings (say 800 or larger) is that the image gets very speckly with a pink or blue overcast which is unattractive. So, we try to keep our ISO at 100 or 200 unless we really really want to take a picture of something in low light.

Photoshop has a tool to denoise and there are other noise-reduction-only software available. I'll find the name of a really good one for $80 and get it into a reply soon.

See? there's an endless number of ways to spend money on this hobby.

Reminds me very much of something a girlfriend told me when she coaxed me into skiing with her. "It doesn't cost much" 

My ass..........

After the sticker shock of a basic set of mountain clothing and boots and skis......after the airfare and accomodations in the most expensive real estate at the peak of the season........I got laid frequently and didn't feel the pain until a few days after we broke up  :)

So, someday I'll get back up on the mountains and get pics up there while on skis. There's some might pretty stuff up there.

#92 Ovoideocystidiata

Ovoideocystidiata

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:38 AM

from Mt. Hood

DSC00502.JPG

• dial8 and skunk like this

#93 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,753 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

Lake Miniwanka Banff Canada
d95a6a977fcae31e573ce37b852ac15f.jpg
  • dial8, Skywatcher and Amanita Versicula like this

#94 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

oops my mistake. the Sigma can be beat, by Nikon and others, with a price tag starting around $14,000 U.S.

that's right, the Nikon equivalent is Fourteen Thousand Dollars.

IIRC the objective lens on the Nikon is a bit bigger which will gather more light but, damn, 14K

#95 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

Re: post 91 and noise, denoise

The name of the program for denoising is Topaz

has a very good reputation for getting everything possible done to correct noise, with a smart and easy to use interface

#96 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

oops my mistake. the Sigma can be beat, by Nikon and others, with a price tag starting around $14,000 U.S.

that's right, the Nikon equivalent is Fourteen Thousand Dollars.

IIRC the objective lens on the Nikon is a bit bigger which will gather more light but, damn, 14K

Damn, and here I was scoffing at $1500, lol.  So I've got another Q for you Pharmer, what is your opinion of Adobes, "Lightroom 5" software?  Somehow, someway, my wife can get a deal on black Friday.

Well no more outdoor pics in the -7*F weather for me for a while, I seem to have caught myself a nasty bug. That doesn't  mean NO pictures though, I might still see something through the window while I'm suffering here on the couch.

#97 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

don't know a thing about it. have heard it's a stripped down version of Photoshop and a not-bad place to start learning editing.

if it will edit camera RAW and NEF files, then do some rudimentary trickery with the images like erasing pimples and changing hair colors I'd say go for it.

my sister is a school teacher and as such can get BARGAINS on software. With her discount I got PS Creative Suite 6 Extended for $300 when the list price was $1100ish. I jumped on it though it was 50X more software than I'll ever use or understand. It even does all the PS tricks to video. My main motivator was that it was the last thing you could get with a disk as opposed to the accursed monthly subscription to IIRC all Adobe products. I've already broken even on the subscription fees.

Anyway, lightroom has a good rep.

• Juthro likes this

#98 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,034 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:56 PM

...I seem to have caught myself a nasty bug.

Could be the dreaded rum-and-root beer virus we've been hearing about.

• Juthro likes this

#99 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,346 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

...I seem to have caught myself a nasty bug.

Could be the dreaded rum-and-root beer virus we've been hearing about.

LOL, unconventional medicine at it's worst.

I wish it were that simple my friend.  I hate getting sick when we are in the middle of a cold snap like this. With our high temps barely making positive numbers, it's makes it hard to get anything done without making yourself even more sick.

#100 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

I recommend the rum and root beer treatment pdq.

You know, before somebody catches on that you're considering it

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!