68 replies to this topic

#61 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 791 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

Yo I'm trying to use your recipe here and things aren't adding up. To clarify it's 5 grams of brf and 5 grams agar to 15ml of water? It comes out way too dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taken directly from the start of post number one in this thread, "a general rule is 20 grams of agar agar for 1 liter of water."

#62 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:41 AM

Yo I'm trying to use your recipe here and things aren't adding up. To clarify it's 5 grams of brf and 5 grams agar to 15ml of water? It comes out way too dry

taken directly from the start of post number one in this thread, "a general rule is 20 grams of agar agar for 1 liter of water."
yes but right after he says add 15 ml of water so what does it mean? This makes a 250 ml solution? Where does 15ml come into play?

This is my first time messing with agar and I need clarification.

• peacefrog likes this

#63 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:51 AM

yes but right after he says add 15 ml of water so what does it mean? This makes a 250 ml solution? Where does 15ml come into play?

This is my first time messing with agar and I need clarification.

I'm pretty sure that he means 15ml per jar, but I just woke up and I'm a little foggy. I'm only answering this because I'm on way more often than @peacefrog.

Here's one recipe and process off of mine:

https://mycotopia.ne...gain/?p=1281764

Here's what I use for reference:

https://mycotopia.ne...-log/?p=1198427

basically of all my recipes are (and the aloha recipes too):

10-12g agar

10g nutrition (dextrose, sucrose, instant potato flake, etc)

~0.5 additives (extremely optional, I'd skip this until you're comfy making your own)

600ml h2o

does that help?

Edited by catattack, 18 January 2017 - 08:15 AM.

• peacefrog, Nsnail and Traderkain like this

#64 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,326 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

Like cat said that is per jar. You don't put all 5 grams of agar agar and 5 grams of brf to that 15 ml. I mix all ingredients up in a separate bowl then place a heaping teaspoon or so into each jar filled with 15 ml each. You can also simmer in a pot then pour all in individual jars. I just never liked the added step personally. Do you have any pics? The type of agar agar may cause different consistencies as well. I have found that I add more per mix using food grade agar agar.

Below are pics of this BRF agar recipe using manure water while isolating pans:
IMG_0734.JPG IMG_0733.JPG IMG_0732.JPG
  • CatsAndBats and Nsnail like this

#65 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:17 AM

Like cat said that is per jar. You don't put all 5 grams of agar agar and 5 grams of brf to that 15 ml. I mix all ingredients up in a separate bowl then place a heaping teaspoon or so into each jar filled with 15 ml each. You can also simmer in a pot then pour all in individual jars. I just never liked the added step personally. Do you have any pics? The type of agar agar may cause different consistencies as well. I have found that I add more per mix using food grade agar agar.

Below are pics of this BRF agar recipe using manure water while isolating pans:
attachicon.gifIMG_0734.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0733.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0732.JPG

Hahahahahahahahahaha! We're never on at the same time. It's like @nsnail put up the bat signal for agar and we both showed up!

• peacefrog and Nsnail like this

#66 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

Lol thanks y'all. I went over this in chat and caught the part where it said add a teaspoon of the mix so that seems a bit more reasonable, the wording confused me at first.

As for the agar I have powdered agar agar purchased from an Asian food store most of the writing is in a foreign language but I can post a pic when I get home.

*Edit
After checking cats links I do have the telephone brand agar. Since I'm new the idea is that I should skip the addition of karo and just do brf agar?
That aloha list itself seems like good archive material.

Edited by Nsnail, 18 January 2017 - 09:19 AM.

#67 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

Lol thanks y'all. I went over this in chat and caught the part where it said add a teaspoon of the mix so that seems a bit more reasonable, the wording confused me at first.

As for the agar I have powdered agar agar purchased from an Asian food store most of the writing is in a foreign language but I can post a pic when I get home.

If it's powdered, you're good. Strips no bueno. As stated here:

https://mycotopia.ne...-log/?p=1293351

#68 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

Bump because of all of the agar talk on the boards and in mycochat lately. :thumbs_up:

• skunk and Jeepster like this

#69 Jeepster

Jeepster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Love this thread!
  • CatsAndBats likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!