Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Home Mycology Hacks and Tips, let's share!

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

So fellow mycotopiates, I've wanted to start this thread for awhile. It's just what it says, a place to show off your innovations, hacks, and tips that you have acquired or 'invented' regarding home cultivation of our fungal friends.  

I have been inspired by other members' ingenuity on many occasions and it is my hope that this could be a depot of sorts, for anything that will save time, save room at the local landfill/trashcan, or new ways to do things.

Just off of the top of my head, @microbe77 and his black agar (and a bunch more agar-agar related innovations), @mlbjammer and his invitro <fill in the blank>, @wharfrat (or @coorsmikey) had the kuerig cups as seed starters, @tvcasualty probably could add  them in his sleep.. you get the idea.

I will start!

The first one is easy but I'm not sure people know about it widely. Although I consider it common knowledge that pp5, polypropylene, (preferably food grade, ziplock tupperwares, take-out quarts, etc) are rated up to 250f and can withstand an autoclave/PCing. Did you know that the most commonly used sterlite bins are also pp5? I go straight in the oven with sterlite bins with field capacity bulk sub and the lids on (important that it's uniformly moist, to ensure proper and even heating throughout, and it's less steps in open air after pasteurization).

My next one is just how I do my lids, @psychonaught  (sp?) taught me how to do lids this way, but I tweaked it a touch. Firstly they are the plastic replacement lids. I drill two 3/16" holes in my lids. I then rough up the lids around said holes (both sides) for the silicone self healing injection port (SHIP), and for the vent, a band-aid. The band-aid is adhered with the silicone too.

Now here's where I usually get into a debate with other topiates, I save a lot of money because I use ANY 100% silicone bath caulk. It comes in all the same colors and is rated up to 400f in use. Most people will insist that one uses the RTV automotive silicone, but it is Overkill with a capital 'O'. Do yourself a favor and save the RTV silicone for your 1967 Ford ;) and use the bath silicone you probably already have. My lids are versatile, have fewer contamination vectors, and are cheaper. I use them for BRF/PF cakes, grain, plug spawn, etc

On the subject of lids, why are you kids using four inoculation points!? I go right in the center of my cakes with 1cc of spores/inoculant. It requires more patience, but my cakes are ALWAYS 100% colonized with no nasty stuff hidden in the middle. It allows you to take them out early too (if you can't wait), just wash off the non-colonized part, not pretty but it fruits. You should be leaving your cakes alone anyway! Patience is essential in this hobby.

Thanks y'all, I hope to see your posts!

first picture is the lids, second pic is a pp5 I found in the trash that would be great for an all in one shallow pan grow the little fold for sprinkling cheese could be used to increase or decrease FAE, which is important with all myc but especially pans.

Thanks, 

catattack

The above statements are solely the opinion of the author, Oprah Winfrey, and do not necessarily reflect those of anyone else on Earth or beyond! 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20151103_154530_989.jpg
  • IMG_20151103_154553_865.jpg

Edited by catattack, 03 November 2015 - 08:29 PM.

• MLBjammer, Hash_Man, fritshrooms and 10 others like this

#2 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

I agree with any 100% silicone will do, but here is a hack for that.

Use black silicone on the bottom of the lid and clear silicone on the top. This way you see a black dot through the clear silicone to aim your needle at. No more stabbing and jabbing trying to find the hole.

• MLBjammer, Hash_Man, coorsmikey and 9 others like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:36 PM

Use black silicone on the bottom of the lid and clear silicone on the top. This way you see a black dot through the clear silicone to aim your needle at. No more stabbing and jabbing trying to find the hole.

OOO! That's a great idea! I just press on it from below to make a nipple to aim for.

Plus who doesn't like stabbing over and over?  ;)

Edited by catattack, 03 November 2015 - 09:11 PM.

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,018 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:38 PM

Lol on the RTV silicone. I just had a buddy make some lids with that stuff and it started coming off in the wash. I concur on using 100% silicone that is not of the RTV variety. It will last much longer.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:41 PM

Lol on the RTV silicone. I just had a buddy make some lids with that stuff and it started coming off in the wash. I concur on using 100% silicone that is not of the RTV variety. It will last much longer.

That's because we think alike! Maybe we should start a thread on how to attract/find/harvest deer dung

• coorsmikey likes this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,018 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

That's because we think alike! Maybe we should start a thread on how to attract/find/harvest deer dung
image.jpeg Maybe, but I might have an advantage.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:51 PM

attachicon.gifimage.jpegMaybe, but I might have an advantage.

You do, but I put out discounted salt licks (damaged) to compensate for your advantage.

• HrVanker likes this

#8 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:52 PM

I use the regular clear GE silicone and have never had a problem with it either... I use two inoculation points (one per side) and a polyfil gas exchange hole in the centre... Works great for me!

Cool thread idea Cat! I will have to think a bit... I'm sure I have a thing or two to add but everything seems so common practice I can't really pick anything I do "differently" out right now lol
  • MLBjammer likes this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

bump a rama, let's see your innovations!

#10 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

I use the regular clear GE silicone and have never had a problem with it either... I use two inoculation points (one per side) and a polyfil gas exchange hole in the centre... Works great for me!

Cool thread idea Cat! I will have to think a bit... I'm sure I have a thing or two to add but everything seems so common practice I can't really pick anything I do "differently" out right now lol

is that for 1/2 pt BRF Style jars ?  is the polyfil in addition to the dry very layer or replacing ?

• CatsAndBats likes this

#11 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,469 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

Well I go to the other extreme and gave 5 holes in my ziplock containers, 4 at the compass points and one in the center. The only time I've had contam issue is with a dirty spore sryinge.

I also use tub silicone. My only "invention" has been using a fish tank air pump and running a tube full of holes under my perlite in a shotgun box, and only having holes on the lid.

Frankly I just do mainly what works for you guys. I do try exotic grains to increase "potency" though. Quinoa and Teff.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 06 November 2015 - 05:38 PM.

• Hash_Man, moxieshroom and CatsAndBats like this

#12 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:13 AM

is that for 1/2 pt BRF Style jars ? is the polyfil in addition to the dry very layer or replacing ?
Yea it's for BRF... For grains I use one inoculation spot because I can shake the jar to disperse the inoculant. 1/2 pint... Pint whatever I'm using... I do larger cakes sometimes but I never really fruit "cakes" just use them as spawn lol if I'm doing a big cake I might use three inoculation points.

And I don't use a dry verm layer on my cakes... I never did it the first time I did it and had no problems then or afterwards so I just kept not doing it lol the poly is for FAE since everything else is sealed up.

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 07 November 2015 - 12:16 AM.

• PsyBearknot, Heirloom and SteampunkScientist like this

#13 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,819 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

ethno, I am not surprised it works , after all you have a germ barrier  (poly ) and an injection port, meets all the requirements needed.

The myc creates a cake when grown through. I have done it with a verm layer and without , only with PC'd  jars.

Doesn't seem much different than a bulk grain tek, works.

• MLBjammer, bwahaha, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#14 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

any extra verm (dry) in a jar can help one with a margin for error on moisture content IMO too though.

• MLBjammer, Heirloom , SteampunkScientist and 1 other like this

#15 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,819 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

I gotta agree a margin for error never hurts but does help. A first timer should follow instructions ,after success they can advance.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

Here's one, I have wide mouth quarts for dunking cakes and I use the regular mouth plastic lid, inverted, to push the cake under the water completely. I add a little water at the end too, and there's virtually no air left in the jar. Refrigerate to keep competitor growth to a minimum fruit the next day.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20151108_210609_383.jpg
  • IMG_20151108_193654_011.jpg

• Hash_Man, Lakegal7, pastyoureyes and 3 others like this

#17 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:28 AM

bump

#18 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,379 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:54 AM

OOO! That's a great idea! I just press on it from below to make a nipple to aim for.

Plus who doesn't like stabbing over and over?  ;)

Maybe Julius Caesar? 

• Teonanacatl38, stoffel, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#19 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,469 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

Okay kids, if your going to do mycology and other "assorted" stuff - you need some free books, and what better books than ones that are actually banned in some countries (and in various counties in the US at one time or another) - when a book is banned, I automatically have to have a copy.

Here is where you can download that classic 1960 book "The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments" as a PDF : http://chemistry.abo.../goldenchem.pdf

Yes this book is responsible for burning many a kitchen table top, and possibly blowing up entire houses, so you know you need it!  Lots of good information written in a day when, if you lost a baseball game, you did not get a tissue and an award anyway.  This was back in the day when people said things like "Be careful, but if you are not, and you burn your eyeballs out, you have no one to blame but yourself".

Ah yes, those days are gone, but you can recreate the golden age of self responsibility by building your own Chemistry Lab!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 11 November 2015 - 09:06 AM.

• dead_diver, Hash_Man, shoomer and 4 others like this

#20 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,723 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

home chemistry used to be acceptable and encouraged!

superman_chem.jpg

• SteampunkScientist, Lakegal7 and panaho like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!