Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Home Mycology Hacks and Tips, let's share!

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#101 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

I was inspired by TV's temperature controlled design several years

ago but wanted to be able to use low pressure steam sterilization

for edibles. Here's my take, it can process 200+ lbs of substrate in

mycobags at a time-

20160516_202925.jpg

20160515_153644.jpg

20160515_153634.jpg

20160514_162211.jpg

20160514_110448.jpg

20160517_001037.jpg

here are some results 

image3.JPG

image2.JPG

image1 (1).JPG

Edited by kcmoxtractor, 24 July 2016 - 02:08 PM.

• TVCasualty, Juthro, CatsAndBats and 3 others like this

#102 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,264 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

Heat gain is also a function of the temperature differential between the source and what's being heated, so a sub would heat up to an internal temp of 170℉ a lot faster if the oven or whatever was set to 400℉, but then you'd end up with a bone-dry outer 'crust' and the thermal momentum would likely continue to heat the core well-past 170℉ (so it would fail, basically).

And anything on the outer part that got way over 170F would kill the good bacteria in said part.

• CatsAndBats and fuzzyfunguy like this

#103 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,749 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:03 AM

KC: Awesome build!

#104 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Black VIP
  • 317 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:28 PM

Here's one, I have wide mouth quarts for dunking cakes and I use the regular mouth plastic lid, inverted, to push the cake under the water completely. I add a little water at the end too, and there's virtually no air left in the jar. Refrigerate to keep competitor growth to a minimum fruit the next day.

I ended up using a version of this tip,  I did not have the lids to fit into the jars so used Ziploc bags instead.  fill jar halfway with water, place cake inside, place empty Ziploc into the jar, fill Ziploc bag up with water.  Capped it off and placed in fridge.

Thanks for the tip Cat!

20160728_131010.jpg

• CatsAndBats likes this

#105 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

Ok TV, and KC.... I'm going to need a complete set of plans for one of those drum steamers! I just got my 25 quart PC but now I'm truly inspired to go BIG! Awesome builds you two!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 29 July 2016 - 06:14 PM.

• Arathu and CatsAndBats like this

#106 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

o()xxxx[{::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

• OG VIP
  • 9,199 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

Back to hacks and tips! 

When running a PC full of anything stinky, I find that putting a few drops of vanilla extract, mint extract or lemon extract in the PC h2o, can greatly reduce any 'suspicious'  or unwanted odors. Mint is the strongest.

post-147940-0-03931800-1468272066.jpg 

• panaho likes this

#107 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,199 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:09 AM

Catattack tip no. 454

I've been using household cleaning wipes to line the base of my SAB. Then to sanitize my (gloved) hands right before work.

lysol-wipes.jpg

#108 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

Ok TV, and KC.... I'm going to need a complete set of plans for one of those drum steamers! I just got my 25 quart PC but now I'm truly inspired to go BIG! Awesome builds you two!

sorry, but no. trade secret for the mushroom farm.  :tongue: it's also kind

of dangerous, you need a permit to operate steam boilers in some 

areas. 

plenty of info out there to research and build one yourself, but you

should probably cough up the $ to consult with an engineer before

running whatever you build. i used a portion of a grant i won here at

the farm to get my consultation. 

#109 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Myco Newb

• App Administrator
  • 3,707 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

When using the microwave to heat up agar, put a paper plate under your mixing vessel. It will save you a lot of time wasted cleaning the microwave.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0837.JPG

• Juthro, CatsAndBats, Nsnail and 1 other like this

#110 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

Reposted from https://mycotopia.ne...e-bleach-cheap/ on suggestion of catattack (Thank you!).

I use bleach a lot (as well as alc. and H2O2) for sanitation purposes and when using it also for cleaning and laundry run through a Gal. pretty quick.

So I found this recipe here:

http://tacticalintel...ke-chlorine.htm

​On how to make oodles of the stuff cheaply from "pool shock" (calcium hypochlorite) for water purification made to store bought bleach specs.

​A one pound bag (dry) of shock can give you MANY gal. of bleach for pennies.

​Being the cheap bastige I am, the next project is fractional distillation to supply both iso and Everclear (95%) alc. types (as well as the recreational kind).

​Yes, I'm cheap, but the flames of that fire were fanned by the awesome DIY threads of SteampunkScientist which I suggest folks seek out and give them a read.

Now I have to spend the next hour devouring the rest of this fine thread. :-)

Edited by shoomer, 19 February 2017 - 11:24 AM.

• CatsAndBats and Nsnail like this

#111 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,199 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

And my h2o2 dilution from the above thread:

I make my own h2o2 dilutions too, 1:5 of 29% (found at most hydro stores) will make ~5%, two points higher than the 3% that one buys at the pharmacy, word to the wise, wear gloves.

I put it in a gallon sprayer that I spray painted black to prevent UV light from penetrating.

#112 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

I skimmed through the comments of that bleach diy and found this excerpt for making the strong stuff

"grams calcium hypochlorite = (desired mg/L chlorine x gallons to be treated x 3.785 L/gal)/(1,000 mg/mL x (%chlorine in HTH/100)
Given this equation if you figure the standard household bleach contains a 5% or 50,000 mg/L chlorine solution, it would be the following:
(50000 x 1 x 3.785)/(1000 x .78) = 242 grams of your calcium hypochlorite per gallon of water would make an equivalent amount as one gallon of household bleach."

The example uses 78% dry calcium hypochlorite. This stuff is apparently an oxidizer so handle with care.

Alternatively if one wanted to get real scientific bleach can be made with saltwater and hydrolysis for probably even cheaper but I'll save that for another day
  • Microbe and CatsAndBats like this

#113 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:24 AM

Today got me experimenting and it might be useful if it pans out.

Did 5 jars of rye berries and 'nocced up the last 4 yesterday. I made the grain a little dry and used 20cc or LC per.

Getting "sterile" air to shoot into a LC bottle before extraction I took the 20cc syringe and did the dull red needleheat/ slow draw of air into it, expelled that into the LC baby bottle, drew out my 'noc LC, and did the 1st jar.

Lots of in/out of the SAB to do all that needle flaming and slow intake of air so I decided after expelling LC into the 1st jar (all jars w/ SHIP and postal tyvek breather) that I'd like to speed thing up a bit and instead of doing a slow air draw w/ red hot needle I decided since the inside of my berry jars was "clean" and could breath, why not just suck up atmosphere from there and then do a quick needle flame between jars, so w/o withdrawing my needle sucked up jar atmosphere then withdrew it and flamed the needle.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is an experiment and could easily go sideways if one jar isn't completely clean, but if it does work it saved me a boatload of time to get "clean" air.

• tailsmcsnails likes this

#114 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

Today was a day for a new run of rye berries (besides the 5 qt. I already have gestating)  for a total of 7 qt. and 3 pt., as well as assorted syringes and sharps and found out I didn't have enough "breather" lids.

I got out the trusty Makita and drilled holes topping the larger breather holes w/ postal tyvek sealed w/ clear silicone this time (THANK YOU!!!! RTV sux!) and when I got to making the SHIPs and topping them w/ paper I used ungummed rolling papers (I had plenty that rip in just the right area) to flatten out the SHIPs.

When the run was done (silicone was not tacky but I could move it when they went in) I went to peel off the paper and give them a light scrub w/ my fingernail to get off the fuzz but with rolling papers they peeled right off and are ready to be used again for more SHIPs (should I need to in the future) leaving no fuzz to have to scrape off.

BTW....if you are still using a crappy PC w/ rubber gasket (my MIrro has one and is making the best case for an AA) and steam starts pouring out of the sealing junction........FUDGE!

If you can avoid the steam, use your hands on the handles (the mirro has plastic ones which makes this MUCH easier) and give the seal a little "encouragement" for a few minutes until internal pressure deforms the rubber enough to seal.

It worked for me the last 2 times but I think this is the time to either buy a new gasket or sock the cash away for a AA 921,

Edited by shoomer, 17 March 2017 - 10:16 PM.

• fahtster and tailsmcsnails like this

#115 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:55 AM

Cool thread.. I have a few things to add.

1. When making of cakes and adding the verm barrier, heap the verm well over the rim of the jar so that you have to push down on the lid a lil so you can screw it on. The cakes shrink slightly and this will keep your barrier nice and full so it doesn't shift when you move the jars around; more protection.

2. When you flame a needle, start from the back and move towards the tip so that if there is contamination in the tip, it doesn't get shot back into the syringe with steam (not a huge deal since heat is involved, but why even risk it?)

3. You can get your fruits cracker dry in a paper bag/tyvek envelope in the crisper in your fridge if you're having troubles getting them that way mid summer when ambient humidity is really high. Esp. If you use only a fan to dry them.

4. You can clean dried fruits super fast and easily in a gallon sized ziplock bag. Fill the bag 1/2 - 3/4 full with dry fruits and zip the bag so only a lil bit of one end isn't zipped and blow some air in the bag... quickly zip the bag closed the rest of the way and push and pull at the bag for like three straight minutes. The fruits rub against each other and clean themselves like a rock tumbler. Hold the bag by either top corner and lightly shake the bag so all the debris falls to the opposite bottom corner. Grab onto the debris from outside the bag so it stays and the empty, clean fruits fall out. :)

5. When pc'ing syringes with water in them, put the needle tips into a quart jar with a few inches of water in it. That way if the water gets pushed out from pressure, the water will sucked back up into the syringes during the cool down because the needles were submerged; never get an empty syringe again during pc'ing. Works every time.

I'm sure there's more but, I can't think of any more right now.

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 18 March 2017 - 05:34 AM.

• Juthro, Seeker2be, shoomer and 3 others like this

#116 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

Just eat the dirt. :)
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#117 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:42 AM

So you're saying, cut out the middleman?

Faht
  • Arathu likes this

#118 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

I Just brought home a 55 gallon food grade steel drum...................and so my big steam sterilizer will become reality this year....................

License..............we don't need no stinking license...............but DON'T skimp on the engineering.............  :cool: 

Cool stuff, or hot, depending upon ones perspectives............

A

• Juthro, Needles and tailsmcsnails like this

#119 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

Actually, for small grows you could use a 25 quart PC and keep the pressure at 2 lbs. It could hold enough for a couple of medium mono-tubs.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 20 March 2017 - 10:36 PM.

#120 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

Fahtster, was reading up on methods about putting substrate into burlap bags and various ways of casing it, and realized I was reading a thread of yours on another forum talking about a discussion on this one. I'm a bit buzzed so that loop was cool...

Anyway, you were discussing some called "late casing" and a method of sandwiching colonized grains between layers of substrate.

Is that what you do?
  • fahtster and Juthro like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!