Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Home Mycology Hacks and Tips, let's share!

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#121 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,209 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

Fahtster, was reading up on methods about putting substrate into burlap bags and various ways of casing it, and realized I was reading a thread of yours on another forum talking about a discussion on this one. I'm a bit buzzed so that loop was cool...

Anyway, you were discussing some called "late casing" and a method of sandwiching colonized grains between layers of substrate.

Is that what you do?
  • fahtster and Juthro like this

#122 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:07 AM

Hey SpS! Yeah... so, here's the late casing thread https://mycotopia.ne...of-late-casing/. None of the pics work, but you don't really need them too. It's very simple... just casing when you see the first pins start to form. It seemed to work well for me, but some people weren't advocates of the method, but some people swear by it.

Basically, for cubes, if you have your tub environment dialed in, you shouldn't need to case them to get a good flush. I always found casing to be beneficial to some degree. But it's a debate that will go on forever.. there are people that still late case, but more so for the reason that their ambient room humidity is extremely low and the late casing help keep the substrate from drying out. You can mist the casing without pooling water on the sub.

A lot of people are doing the exact opposite of late casing and casing at spawning.. you can find that thread (just what I've posted/reposted about it--it's not earth an moving endeavor by any means) pinned near the top of this forum.

Now the sandwiching of bulk and grain is just simple layering.. I prefer the layered substrate; just personal preference, but that's been around since people have been cultivating mushrooms.. people making oysters logs and wood loving species often layer. It's really funny you bring up those two things because I've written a thread about something I call laymixing and that is here https://mycotopia.ne...x-or-laymixing/.

The reason I say it's funny is because while talking about late casing and then early casing and no casing.. laymixing kind of incorporates both a, no casing and casing at spawning. What I mean when I say that is the casing is infused with top layer of bulk material.. as I view it anyway. It's all about timing; trying to squeeze the most out of the sub in the least amount of time. And we're all kind of trying to do that... experiment, to find what works best for you.

I've got like six different threads going on in that thought, so, sorry if that is confusing.

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 21 March 2017 - 02:12 AM.

• Juthro, SteampunkScientist and tailsmcsnails like this

#123 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,209 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, I've been reading them here and on shroomery (that's were I saw your mention of the thread here...And I'd much rather read it here.)

Thank you, I'm colonizing my first popcorn Tek and was thinking about how to do the subs. Your information is Excellent.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 21 March 2017 - 07:35 PM.

• fahtster likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!