31 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

I can't grow edibles in my yard (the lawn) as my terrier mix impedes it.

What do you expect with a breed named after dirt?

she does make tons of 'dirt'

pit bull terrier/dalmation to be fair

Edited by catattack, 08 November 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:51 AM

Terra infirma.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:55 AM

Terra infirma.

gross

#24 Cybilopsin

Cybilopsin

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 198 posts

Donator

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

I would be totally down to import leaves to use as mulch but the person who actually owns "my" garden is absolutely against using anyone else's "trash". So I'm stuck with what falls on the lawn naturally (or what I can discretely import while they're at work...)

Last year what we did is rake all the leaves into a huge pile in the center of the lawn (which is going to become the garden), covered with a giant blue tarp, and left it all winter. In the spring I had a huge pile of really wet, flattened leaves that stick together. Just as pharmer and myc describe, these are great mulch, just place them down in big chunks and saturate any dry parts with water so they stay put.

They break down faster than I was expecting. My worry is that whole leaves wouldn't break down fast enough and that the mulch would just pile up over the years. This is not a problem. Anyway you need a LOT of mulch before you have too much.

And I'm dealing with perennial herbs and shrubs here. Mostly woodland plants that like acidic soil, or at least tolerate it. The oak leaves (and the acid rain, which also acidifies soil) are not an issue.

Edited by Cybilopsin, 12 November 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#25 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

I'm looking for a good use for fir needles.

They are a nuisance to me, and they are dangerous on the driveway.

I wouldn't be against collecting and composting them but they seem to last longer than dirt.

#26 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

I'm looking for a good use for fir needles.

They are a nuisance to me, and they are dangerous on the driveway.

I wouldn't be against collecting and composting them but they seem to last longer than dirt.

Happy, google search fermenting them! Right down your alley, right?!

• happy4nic8r likes this

#27 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:55 PM

The fir needles from the tree out front of the cabin get into everything, and clog the car heater intakes.  But the needles produce a couple of meals of shaggy parasols a couple times a year. It is quite a fir tree.  It takes a lot of Christmas lights to do it.

The ridge of the cabin is about 22 feet above the ground (for scale).

gallery_131808_1351_56975.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 12 November 2015 - 09:24 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#28 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,850 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

Pine needles do take much longer to decompose under the trees, But they make a excellent mulch and stay in place better. I have sporadic high winds every year from October until April/ May, so a steady supply of the neighbors leaf waste finds a good home when it gets to my house. I have a mix of deciduous trees and Large pines. I never toss leaves or needles, I just rake or blow them into the beds and add a bit of composted steer. Ive been known to add a light handful or so of any wood chips to the mix.

The needles resist blowing away, and when mixed with leaves produce great weed deterrent and moisture conservation. I also have more variety's of wild mushrooms that grow in the beds than I ever saw before I started this practice. Getting new plants started is just a matter of clearing a little area untill they grow above the mulch layer. My iris and bulbs just force their way up through every year.

When I had more lawn (pre drought days) everything went into the composter. I still constantly run the composter but have much less wet grass to work with.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#29 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:07 AM

Alder you live in paradise.

pine needles probably last so long due to the oils in them fight off microbes.

I find the leaf vac is a great way to shred straw . I was lucky got my vac given to me from my sister ,she picked up at a garage sale. still works great,i suggest ear plugs as they are noisy.

#30 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

Paradise takes a lot of watering.  Quack!

• CatsAndBats likes this

#31 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

We just cut down two like that to improve our view of the ocean. They didn't look that tall, but they were about 50 feet below the house, and 180 feet tall. Now there is a small part of the driveway that doesn't have a blanket of needles that the moss sticks to and makes the UPS and Fedex guys tighten up when they descend.

I'll have to check out the fermenting. The worst part is my pond can go about a week before I have to take out the pump and pull out the fir needles to keep it circulating.

they sink right to the bottom, don't float where I could skim them off with the net.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#32 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:57 PM

as problems go, that isn't so bad!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!