#1 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

Did you know that if you use google, Google apps, or Google map that the big G keeps a location history of you? Did you know that Law Enforcement want these records? Did you know that as of this date (11/10/2015) that you can still delete this information?

Yes, currently Google does not preserve it if you delete it, but law enforcement is trying to get them to change that. Here's the article: https://theintercept...our-every-move/

I predict that within a year or less this policy will change. I STRONGLY suggest you delete your location history now if you use Android or Google apps on another phone! Here is how to do it: http://trendblog.net...n-history-data/

Do it while you still can!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 10 November 2015 - 08:04 AM.

• invisibilitysyndrome and Heirloom like this

#2 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:39 AM

looks_like_my_phone_support_replacements_have_arrived_540.png

Edited by Pastafarian, 10 November 2015 - 08:39 AM.

• TVCasualty, Alder Logs and happy4nic8r like this

#3 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,584 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

When identities are outlawed, only outlaws will have identities!

• invisibilitysyndrome likes this

#4 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

the_pussy_patrol_is_here_540.jpg

#5 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

Well, if they mine your location they can say you were here here and here at these dates, but if you delete your location history you have plausible deniability.

"Oh No Mr. Office-chair, I didn't even own a phone at that time..."

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:00 PM

Police car cameras and traffic light cameras read plates now and feed the beast.  If you travel with a license plate, they probably have you tracked.

gallery_131808_1351_11659.jpg

Not to worry,

we don't exist anymore.

• Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#7 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:57 PM

Well, any instance where we can make it harder for them, lets do so...
  • Alder Logs likes this

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:01 AM

Works for me.

#9 doublethink

doublethink

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:42 PM

Interesting, Thanks.

I found this link recently for making detached google searches to replace the standard:  https://search.disconnect.me/

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#10 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:33 PM

Ive always keept mine turned off for this reason. Never know when any history will catch ya. I carry enough baggage from my past to let some thing else bite my ass.

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,619 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Well, if they mine your location they can say you were here here and here at these dates, but if you delete your location history you have plausible deniability.

"Oh No Mr. Office-chair, I didn't even own a phone at that time..."

I still don't have one o' them thar newfangled "smart" phones (or a cell that's linked to my name at all). I guess that means even I don't know where I am, or was, or will be, or whatever. But that's probably for the best.

I've wondered about the possibility of getting all my friends on board with the idea of each of us getting a new cell phone (preferably an old-school dumb phone), then on an agreed-upon schedule we put them all in a bag. We then each randomly pick one out of the bag and use it for the days, weeks or months until the next random phone-swap (thereby clusterfucking the data).

In any case, things like this are why the dwelling where l actually live and go to sleep at night and such is not the same place listed on my Driver's License, vehicle registration, utility bills, etc.. Incidentally, address-swapping is where I got the idea for phone-swapping. Took me almost 10 years to arrange it since it requires finding just the right person (e.g. someone who is sympathetic to these privacy issues, is absolutely trustworthy, and is never in possession of more than a personal use/Misdemeanor amount of drugs or other awkward items, if any).

I only did it with the other party's fully-informed consent; I made it clear that while small, there is always a chance that the door might get kicked in some fine pre-dawn morning. Paying my own mortgage while they lived in my house as well as part of their rent while I was living in theirs helped make that risk more acceptable to them (and was well-worth it to me!).

But be careful; it's very easy to mess such an arrangement up and unmask yourself, and there are a great many seemingly-insignificant details that I left out of this post that must be attended to for it to work as desired.

#12 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

Loompanics used to have several books on disappearing and address swaping amongst other things like this. I guess they would be a bit dated now...
  • TVCasualty likes this

#13 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

Even an analog phone can divulge a pattern. I think living in a way that dosent create a pattern is most secure and as human beings that may be im possible unless scitzophrenia sp.. is present we are alk predictable. No devices is possibly the only way but since were all on here i spose thats not an option even a vpn can create a patern eventually to the right snooper.

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,619 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

Loompanics used to have several books on disappearing and address swaping amongst other things like this. I guess they would be a bit dated now...

I still have a bunch of old Loompanics catalogs (and supplements, which I also kept for the articles), they were awesome!

And yes, their "how to disappear" books were largely-obsolete even before they went out of business. But anyway, by the time they closed down I'd bought hundreds of dollars worth of their books, most of which are stashed away for safekeeping somewhere secure just in case I ever need the specific how-to info they contain.

#15 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

LOOMPANICS! Now there's a blast from the past. I still have all my 'recreational' books.

#16 Ovoideocystidiata

Ovoideocystidiata

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

to a certain degree it does not matter how careful an individual is.  if they really want you, they will get you as they own all the communication systems.  unfortunately, that is what this society has become.  i am not sure it is a good thing or a bag thing.  i do think terrorist are on the top of there list.  paranoia can get the best of you though.  thankfully i have no reason to be paranoid  :mellow:

edit : politics are more complex than most people think.

Edited by Ovoideocystidiata, 15 November 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#17 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

Loompanics is gone, Lindsey books is gone.

Thee is a new place you can still get great books on tools and inventing: http://www.gingerybooks.com which is the Gingery site. As for the great "extra legal" books loompanics had, they are scattered to the four winds. But you can find them if you're diligent.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 15 November 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,619 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:29 PM

As for the great "extra legal" books loompanics had, they are scattered to the four winds. But you can find them if you're diligent.

I've moved on to writing them now. :wink:

(or at least I'm disseminating similar information whenever appropriate, and sometimes even when... not). 

to a certain degree it does not matter how careful an individual is.  if they really want you, they will get you as they own all the communication systems.

Privacy is still attainable, it's just that it's inconvenient as hell. It's so inconvenient that almost none of us will go to the trouble (myself included) unless the situation were truly dire.

The Iraqi insurgents went to the trouble, which makes sense since a line being traced back to their physical location tended to result in that location getting hit by an air strike and obliterated. But once they changed tactics, they became the intractable nightmare we all remember hearing about on the news for years.

According to an analysis I read, they reverted back to hand-written correspondence delivered by trusted messengers for all their communications. That was all it took. It made all the gee-whiz capabilities of No Such Agency useless virtually overnight. Apparently, no one who wants us to believe that they know everything saw that coming (but then again, even if they did they still wouldn't be able to do anything to counter it).

#19 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,029 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

Ok TV, pm me everything you got, cause I miss loompanics sooooo much. I used to order a ton of their stuff, gosh I love books!

#20 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

I'd be willing to let some loompanics books go too punk!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!