45 replies to this topic

#21 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,531 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:16 AM

It's a blast. These are my fresh water sessions. We go on spearing vacations often. Gue whole family is Into it.

#22 Ovoideocystidiata

Ovoideocystidiata

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:19 AM

thats great.  swimming and catching fish.  it does not get much better than that IMO.

#23 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,531 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:28 AM

Great exercise and always an adventure just sucks our season when I'm from is Rather Short. And most of the season I have to wear a bulky 8mm full suit to keep warm.

It's a blast though hopefully headed to New Zealand for our next spearing trip.

This last year we went to Costa Rica, Morocco and did a lot of spearing. I'll share some photos but I'll have to resize them

uploadfromtaptalk1447320509755.jpg

Skunkbudda403

#24 Ovoideocystidiata

Ovoideocystidiata

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:38 AM

i am from the great lakes region and we have a good 4 to 5 months of good swimming temps.  it is the best exercise that i am aware of.  swimming out in the lakes, boy oh boy that is what i live for. i'd rather swim than fish but it usually goes hand in hand.

#25 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,531 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

i am from the great lakes region and we have a good 4 to 5 months of good swimming temps. it is the best exercise that i am aware of. swimming out in the lakes, boy oh boy that is what i live for. i'd rather swim than fish but it usually goes hand in hand.

Do you spear fish? What the legality in the great Lakes region?

Skunkbudda403

#26 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,798 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

King salmon are also called coho around here. I've seen them nearly 40 pounds

Steelhead are awesomely pretty fish but Lake Trout are the ones to eat in Michigan

and pike.......only if you have the patience to pick little bones out of your meal, there's no getting them all out before you cook them.

a little fishing humor: Great Lakes trout/salmon are said to have a lot of mercury in them. No problem, my dad said, hang them by their tails in the freezer and cut their heads off

• Juthro likes this

#27 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,145 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

You know what they say, everything is bigger in Alaska. This is a pic(not mine) of the world record King(Coho).

97 lbs 4 oz
untitled.png

But they aren't nearly as good to eat as a nice fresh red(Sockeye). That's the fish that fills my freezer, and canning jars. I would say they average around 12 to 14 lbs, and in a good season my wife and I will take 25 or 30 of them.

We are lucky enough to have friends that have a fishing cabin near the mouth of the river, so the reds coming up stream are so fresh out of salt water they often still have sea lice. Some times the harbor seals will even come that far up river to do their own fishing. Though we don't like to see that, as they spoil the fishing for us.

A 12 pounder.
fish.jpg
  • Heirloom likes this

#28 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

Juthro, its your duty to fish them then!

#29 Ovoideocystidiata

Ovoideocystidiata

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

i am from the great lakes region and we have a good 4 to 5 months of good swimming temps. it is the best exercise that i am aware of. swimming out in the lakes, boy oh boy that is what i live for. i'd rather swim than fish but it usually goes hand in hand.

Do you spear fish? What the legality in the great Lakes region?

Skunkbudda403

i have yet to spear fish,  i do not spend much time on the great lakes, just inland lakes.  according to the michigan dnr it looks like spear fishing is legal except for a few exceptions listed on pages 20 and 21 of the Michigan fishing guide.

• skunk likes this

#30 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,798 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

when I was a kid we'd spear bullfrogs. If you've never had the good fortune to taste bull frog legs and that little oyster of meat in their cheeks you haven't lived. A gentle cook in butter and you have a mouthful of heaven.

and I can testify that the trick of hiding a treble hook with a small patch of red cloth and dangling it in front of a frog works. It's like a bull and the red cape, they just cant help but jump at it.

speared a bunch of dogfish when I was a kid. it was cheap entertainment after sundown. all you need is a small rowboat, 9 volt flashlight, trident, and good eyes and you could hunt them in the shallows.

• Heirloom and skunk like this

#31 Ovoideocystidiata

Ovoideocystidiata

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

when I was a kid we'd spear bullfrogs. If you've never had the good fortune to taste bull frog legs and that little oyster of meat in their cheeks you haven't lived. A gentle cook in butter and you have a mouthful of heaven.

and I can testify that the trick of hiding a treble hook with a small patch of red cloth and dangling it in front of a frog works. It's like a bull and the red cape, they just cant help but jump at it.

speared a bunch of dogfish when I was a kid. it was cheap entertainment after sundown. all you need is a small rowboat, 9 volt flashlight, trident, and good eyes and you could hunt them in the shallows.

frog legs are my favorite.  caught one one time using a jig before going out fishing, let it go though.  a local restaurant had all you can eat frog legs on thursday nights until they went out of business.  i just found a buffet that has frog legs in the evenings and on sunday.  i am looking forward to going there one of these days.

• Heirloom likes this

#32 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

Juthro was that pic a halibut?

Never Had the pleasure of frog legs ,pharmer , ovoid,
I might suggest crayfish as a local alternative to shrimp.

pharmer you grew up near the ocean, hunting dogfish at night?
the tide would change and  fish ran up the rivers from the ocean.
night was a good time to catch , I went out into those rivers as a kid  in California and got scared
from what I saw, the current, the depth of water,  only faint memories now.

#33 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,145 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

Yes sir it is, not my fish though. The big one was a little over 200 lbs. It came off of a charter boat out of Homer. And while its a big one, its no record maker. I've never caught one that big, I know a place not to far from here where with a large surf pole, you can fish off the shore for them. But you get what they call chicken halibut, much smaller (20 to 30 lbs is big), same fish, just much younger.

Personally I think the smaller size are better eating. I'm in it for the food, not the trophy.

The largest caught last year for Homers halibut derby was 335 lbs, when they get that big they usually shoot them with a 410 shotgun before they try and get them in the boat, so as not to get anyone hurt.

I haven't had frog legs either, but would be willing to try.
  • Heirloom likes this

#34 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,798 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:49 PM

Heirloom,

in the Great Lakes Icebox we have a freshwater lake fish nicknamed dogfish. Proper name is "Bowfin" but I've never heard anybody call them by that name.

I gather there are sharks called dogfish.

Attached Thumbnails

• bowfin-male-250_476646_7.jpg

#35 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,134 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

We actually got frozen frog legs on the submarine occasionally.

I hope that wasn't Peacefrog.

post-131808-0-55484000-1447357978.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• not funny.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 12 November 2015 - 03:01 PM.

#36 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,134 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

I gather there are sharks called dogfish.

A.k.a., sand sharks.

Dog fish possibly denotes who or what gets to eat those fish.

Edited by Alder Logs, 12 November 2015 - 02:56 PM.

#37 Ovoideocystidiata

Ovoideocystidiata

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:22 PM

you have not lived until you have eaten frog legs, assuming they are properly prepared.  yummmy.  do not forget to dip them in melted butter.

as for dogfish a.k.a. bowfin (Amia calva), they are in most lakes around here.  they get fairly large(10 lbs or so) they have very sharp teeth.  they are worthless in my opinion.  we use to give them to by buddy's probation officer because we would not eat them.

Edited by Ovoideocystidiata, 12 November 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#38 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,798 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

We have many fishing issues in the Great Lakes Icebox

Attached Thumbnails

• salmon shark.jpg

#39 Ovoideocystidiata

Ovoideocystidiata