• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Ttiger

Ttiger

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:12 PM

Is it normal for WBS cased with coir/verm to not pin after 3+ weeks? I also noticed one of the trays has some overlay, but the others don't, and the myc hasnt spread anywhere from when I removed the foil. Any tips?

#2 tripinstein

tripinstein

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:02 AM

I've had similiar issues just using cased BRF cakes of pan cyan. I have just got used to waiting, cause mine never show pins before the first two weeks and the first ones I did took about a month before they did anything. It seems they just love dung too much! I have completely quit fruiting from cased cakes and am now using waylitjim's pan cyan tek, but for the rest of my BRF cakes I am spawning to poo. I know its not WBS, but I think its just because it lacks the poo. The extra step is way worth the effort imo. Plus just fruiting from grains produces way less dry weight than of using poo in my experience. I don't think there is anything you can do to speed up the pinning process. Maybe you should scrape away the casing and apply some poo/verm mix and let it colonize that. Hope this helps.

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• 42,144 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:31 AM

more details
like how thick/wet the casing is,
how you've been caring for it,
like light regimen and humidity, etc.
would help diagnose

#4 Ttiger

Ttiger

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I spawned the WBS to pasteruized straw/dung bags. After two weeks, I cased them in trays with coir/verm and covered with foil. They incubated for about 14 days before i started humidifying. The only oddities I noticed in this project were that the moisture content wasn't the same in all the bags, even though when I made them, I thought they were. Some of the bags were too wet and the myc didnt spread much. Those I have in a garbage bag somewhere. The colonized straw/dung bags were pretty solid before I cased them. Anyone know if something has gone wrong?

#5 golly

golly

modapotato

• Free Member
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:21 PM

3 weeks from spawning is a bit extreme...If they have temp near 80 +fresh air and a casing thats not too deep - they auta b pinning... I managed to stimulate my pans to pin by recasing with a 10% mix of pasteurized poo with the verm/peat {remove original layer} They pinned in 7 days ..so it may be that the microbes in the poo stimulate primordia formation ..What strain r u trying...?

#6 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 829 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:15 PM

My experience with Pans is that they will overlay and pinning takes forever. Once the first flush is over, gently roto-trill the casing layer (courtesy of WayLitJim) and rehydrate. You will have a new flush within a couple days. My last Pan Cyan tray, I had 11 flushes from it.

#7 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:58 PM

hmm..thnx for the info guys...this will
be a big help in my upcoming grow of
pan lg florida...:)

#8 mycobri

mycobri

MycoMushroom

• 3,293 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:45 PM

These Pan Cyans (Australian), have fully colonized the brf/c-poo jars and have started to eat through the cactus soil/verm casing. The Waylit tek was followed. now the mycelium is piling up under the plastic and i do not see any signs of pins. What should i do to induce pinning? Also any other suggestions would be appreciated.
:thumbup:

Attached Files

#9 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Editorial Moderator
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:03 AM

Remove the plastic wrap. Were you using that for casing recovery? To induce pinning, increase the fresh air while keeping the tub consistently warm and humid. Should be 5-7 days.

#10 mycobri

mycobri

MycoMushroom

• 3,293 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:09 AM

Wow that was quick, thanks Waylit! the plastic is gone.
I will post here if there are any good results :thumbup:

Tinfoil covers with a few holes were used for casing recovery (about 4 days)then the covers were switched to plastic wrap (for about 3 days)

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• 42,144 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

light is need for pans, yes ?

#12 mycobri

mycobri

MycoMushroom

• 3,293 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

i heard before that the Pan. Cyan mycelium is wispy, but i never knew it looked like marshmallows.

the mycelium is growing rapidly since i removed the plastic wrap. it is even growing out of the jar onto the glass! but still no pins.

to increase light...i did foil wrap the jars and replaced the lid of the terrarium with transparent material. no visible knots yet just heaping mounds of fluffy mycelium.

i never have seen anything like this :cool:
the second pic is to show the depth of the mounds.
does this look right?

Attached Files

#13 spacecake

spacecake

Universal Photo Forum Mod

• Free Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:59 PM

Looks fine,...give plenty of fresh air !

#14 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Editorial Moderator
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:15 PM

They might still pin for ya Mycobri.
I've had decent pinsets from overlaid casings.
Hang in there, keep the temps steady and the air fresh.
Notice the overlay in the pic. below.

ps...and make sure they're getting light.

Attached Files

#15 mycobri

mycobri

MycoMushroom

• 3,293 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

thanx for the tips! :)

#16 spacecake

spacecake

• Free Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:19 PM

Updates ?

Anything happening ?

#17 mycobri

mycobri

MycoMushroom

• 3,293 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

little knobs that seem to be pre-pins keep forming, but then eventually grow into larger masses of fluffy mycelium. it just keeps growing out of the jars on to the glass. i have added light and fanning about 6x per day. temps are at 85. i wonder if i should remove the casing layer on a jar or two.
also i see a slight blue bruised area on one jar. i will attach a picture, i just have to empty my camera first.

#18 spacecake

spacecake

• Free Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

For a good pinset I allways spray water directly on the casing layer BEFORE (inportant) pins apear !

Most people say it's not good ,but I had good results with the Pans and this methode...

#19 mycobri

mycobri

MycoMushroom

• 3,293 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:30 AM

i took your advise spacecake and misted the casings with distilled water. the mycelium is just getting bigger.

i am adding flourescent light from above and the jars are wrapped in foil.

to spread out my chances a little, i made a a few plastic tubs of oven-past. c-poo and bleach past. straw mixed in with one cake each, crumbled to marble sized pieces.

another jar i removed the casing layer, and i removed yet another cake and it is dunking right now.

there are still 5 jars in the original chamber. hopefully i can get some fruits from any of these experiments. i don't know what to do with the dunking cake yet.

#20 spacecake

spacecake

• Free Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

Getting nervous ?.. lol

It's good to experiment a little,and good thinking to keep some 'original' jars behind.

Don't give up !

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!