#1 catattack

catattack

JAZZ HANDS!

• OG VIP
  • 5,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

Hi there grassroots!

I keep scouring here and the interwebs to find an answer, to no avail.

If one were trying to decarb some mary and one had it in a water bath at around 171f, how long would one leave it? Is there  too long a time period?

this is just to get the max thc prepared for low AND high dose medicinal edibles, candy for people too ill to eat/smoke, due to cancer treatment or similar malady (people too ill to consume a baked good).

Edited by catattack, 17 November 2015 - 08:31 AM.

• shiitakegrower and Juthro like this

#2 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 4,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

I'm curious about this too as I've never deliberately "decarboxylated" herb.

Making canna-oil for cooking, one has always just placed freshly harvested materials into the oil. The oil is heated just shy of 240*F and held there for 45 minutes. The resulting materials are strained and pressed before tossing onto the compost heap. The resulting oil certainly seems to do the trick with no extra steps. It would be interesting to hear from some experts on the subject.

edit:

Here's a handy article with a chart.

http://www.thestoner...xylate_weed.php

Edited by Myc, 17 November 2015 - 10:21 AM.

• PsyBearknot, Juthro and catattack like this

#3 catattack

catattack

JAZZ HANDS!

• OG VIP
  • 5,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

I'm curious about this too as I've never deliberately "decarboxylated" herb.

Making canna-oil for cooking, one has always just placed freshly harvested materials into the oil. The oil is heated just shy of 240*F and held there for 45 minutes. The resulting materials are strained and pressed before tossing onto the compost heap. The resulting oil certainly seems to do the trick with no extra steps. It would be interesting to hear from some experts on the subject.

edit:

Here's a handy article with a chart.

http://www.thestoner...xylate_weed.php

thank you! Low temps interest me because a lot of the Cannabidiols (CBDs) are said to be rendered useless at higher temps. Let's see what the rest of community thinks.

Edited by catattack, 17 November 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,113 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

I don't know the answer, but I would like to.

Pulling up a chair.

#5 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

I never decarb with oil because the cooking temp for oil extractions will decarb the weed.

If I am making butter the boil / crock pot method I will decarb if it's fresh quality weed at 225 or 60 min in an oven bag.
225 over boiling point so the hydrogen atom will break apart.
Oven bag tied shut keeps the smell manageable to one burst at the end when you open the bag as opposed to it smelling the full hour cook.
Brick weed or already dry to a crisp weed has pretty much naturally decarbed through the drying process so I don't decarb it.

Some say they still don't decarb with the waterbath/crock butter method because what ever you cook it with will decarb it. However I have had inconsistent results where 1 brownie from the batch did nothing much and the other knocked me on my ass!

A tip as well...add soy lecithin at the end of your extraction at 1/2-1 tablespoon per cup of finished oil/butter. Especially for medical patients due to the lethicin ability to help the gut absorb the large thc molecule and it helps suspend the thc more evenly in the oil/butter due to the emulsification properties of lethicin.

I also calculated out (in a rough way) how much for a dose by taking what I smoked to get high vs how many tablespoons were in a dose.
So say it takes a gram to get high for me smoking. I used this amount to how much oil I was using in a recipe and what I wanted a dose to be.
1g per dose in 1/2 cup of oil means 8 doses. Make pan of brownie cut into 8 and then tested 1/2 of a brownie. (Right I ate 1.5 lol)

Need more next time eat the full brownie.

This helped me be able to get consistent results and be able to dose newbies like other bear so they did not freak out or simply pass out and go to sleep.
  • AGAMA, TheObserver, shiitakegrower and 3 others like this

#6 catattack

catattack

JAZZ HANDS!

• OG VIP
  • 5,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

out of likes! thank you.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

out of likes! thank you.

Some days a thank you is better then a like.

Thank you Cat.
  • coorsmikey and SparkyAnn like this

#8 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,415 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:37 PM

It really make s a difference what you are going to do with it. 

The idea of decarboxylating is to convert the thc-a to thc.

You can do this by smoking, slow cooking in oil, or putting the leaf in the oven.

If you are doing a cold extraction, you should decarb first to convert, then extract and you will have a cold extraction with everything you want in it.

Freezing alcohol and your decarbed weed is the best. Shake iso, or ethanol in your weed when frozen, and it will shake off the trichomes and you will be able to dry off the alcohol with a fan, low heat or let it sit for days. Fairly easy to filter, vacuum is quicker.

If you are putting it in hot oil, or butter to extract, you don't need to decarb. Any heating for almost any length of time will work, it just degrades the other cbd's to cbn quicker whick is why saving your smoke wont work.

Lots of different recipes on the internet, and it really depends on what you are using it for. I have done a lot of research on topicals, so I can answer those questions. I make medibles all the time, but I just wing that and probably waste a bunch.

they are a fuck of a lot more powerful than the dispensary stuff on the upside. I repeatedly eat too much.

• Coopdog, AGAMA, TheObserver and 1 other like this

#9 catattack

catattack

JAZZ HANDS!

• OG VIP
  • 5,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:53 AM

Thank you @happy4nic8r I truly appreciate it.

I'm bumping this with this question:

If one were decarbing at ~170 water bath to glycerin for hard candies, how long should one let it go? 

#10 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

90 min for a water bath at 212 seems to be common

So I'd say 120 min for your 170 temp

at the hard crack stage of hard candy your going to be at a temp of 310 so you may loose a little but the list below shows the boiling point.

THC (Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol)
Boiling point: 157° C / 314.6° Fahrenheit
Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Anti Inflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

CBD (cannabidiol)
Boiling point: 160-180°C / 320-356° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Anti Inflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

CBN (Cannabinol)
Boiling point: 185°C / 365° Fahrenheit
Properties: Oxidation, breakdown, product, Sedative, Antibiotic

CBC (cannabichromene)
Boiling point: 220° / 428° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anti Inflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

Δ-8-THC (Δ-8-tetrahydrocannabinol)
Boiling point: 175-178°C / 347-352.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Resembles Δ-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

THCV (Tetrahydrocannabivarin)
Boiling point: < 220°C / <428° Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant

Terpenoid Essential Oil Components of Cannabis

β-Myrcene
Boiling point: 166-168°C / 330.8-334.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic. Anti Inflammatory, Antibiotic, Antimutagenic

β-Caryophyllene
Boiling point: 119°C / 246.2° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anti Inflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial

d-Limonene
Boiling point: 177°C / 350.6° Fahrenheit
Properties: Cannabinoid agonist?, Immune potentiator, Antidepressant, Antimutagenic

Linalool
Boiling point: 198°C / 388.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antidepressant, Anxiolytic, Immune potentiator

Pulegone
Boiling point: 224°C / 435.2° Fahrenheit
Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic

1,8-Cineole (Eucalyptol)
Boiling point: 176°C / 348.8° Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor, Increases cerebral, blood flow, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Anti Inflammatory, Antinociceptive

α-Pinene
Boiling point: 156°C / 312.8° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anti Inflammatory, Bronchodilator, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antineoplastic, AChE inhibitor

α-Terpineol
Boiling point: 217-218°C / 422.6-424.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial

Terpineol-4-ol
Boiling point: 209°C / 408.2° Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic

p-Cymene
Boiling point: 177°C / 350.6° Fahrenheit
Properties: Antibiotic, Anticandidal, AChE inhibitor

Borneol
Boiling point: 210°C / 410° Fahrenheit
Properties: Antibiotic

Δ-3-Carene
Boiling point: 168*C / 334.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anti Inflammatory

Flavonoid and Phytosterol Components of Cannabis

Apigenin
Boiling point: 178°C / 352.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Anti Inflammatory, Estrogenic

Quercetin
Boiling point: 250°C / 482° Fahrenheit
Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic

Cannflavin A
Boiling point: 182°C / 359.6° Fahrenheit
Properties: COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor

β-Sitosterol
Boiling point: 134°C / 273.2° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anti Inflammatory, 5-α-reductase, inhibitor

Edited by PsyBearknot, 18 November 2015 - 12:12 PM.

• Myc, AGAMA, shiitakegrower and 1 other like this

#11 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:27 AM

http://skunkpharmres...rin-extraction/

Hot glycerin extraction:

We prepare plant material and extract cannabis by the hot glycerin extraction process in much the same way as we do by the cold process, though we stir it instead of shaking, tumbling, or vibrating it.

We also use a thermal cycling process and stir regularly, rather than an extended cook as many processes call for. The expansion and contraction of the thermal cycling help break up the resins so that they dissolve more readily.

As with cold tincture, we load a canning jar 2/3’ds full of plant material, lightly compacted and then cover with glycerin while stirring with a wooden spoon, until every surface is well coated and mixture is homogenous, and then add another inch of glycerin on top.

We then set that jar in an electric fondue pot full of hot Canola oil at 200F, and stir it regularly with a wooden spoon until the mixture reaches 180F, and then we adjust the pot temperature controls to maintain 180F.

We stir the mixture regularly with a wooden spoon, for another thirty minutes, and then take it out of the hot oil and allow it to cool to ambient temperature.

For what it’s worth, we use a wooden spoon, because a light tink with a metal spoon against a hot glass jar while stirring, can break it and dump the whole mixture into the hot oil.

After the mixture has cooled to room temperature, we again place into 200F oil and bring it back up to 180F while stirring regularly. When it reaches 180F, after a through stir, we take it out of the hot oil and let it cool to ambient temperature again.

We repeat the last step about five more times and after the last cook and stir; we filter out the plant material while the mixture is still hot.

http://skunkpharmres...rin-extraction/
  • shiitakegrower and catattack like this

#12 catattack

catattack

JAZZ HANDS!

• OG VIP
  • 5,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

NOICE! Thank you friend! You have a much better 'google' than I do (or maybe it's the user ha!)!

#13 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

Ya I seem to have decent luck with google searches where some others don't. It's my secret ninja skills!
  • catattack likes this

#14 catattack

catattack

JAZZ HANDS!

• OG VIP
  • 5,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

Ya I seem to have decent luck with google searches where some others don't. It's my secret ninja skills!

Yeah but your emoji skills just took a hit when you didn't:

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

• PsyBearknot likes this

#15 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:43 PM

Ya my emoji skills need to quit taking hits off my shit. I'm running low!

#16 catattack

catattack

JAZZ HANDS!

• OG VIP
  • 5,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:56 PM

out of likes again,

one more post and 2,666!

#17 shiitakegrower

shiitakegrower

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 454 posts

Donator

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:16 PM

Wow PsyBear... Killer info.  Thank you for sharing.  

Hope its ok to post a quick question here. I don't mean to high-jack the thread. 

Im getting ready to make some coconut oil in-fussed with medical cannabis or  sugar trim that will be used as a topical cream for nerve pain for a patient.

Should the cannabis be decarbed? Would it make a difference in topical applications? 

Would Soy Licithin be at all beneficial would it work against me?

Thank you. 

Edited by shiitakegrower, 01 December 2015 - 07:26 PM.

• PsyBearknot and catattack like this

#18 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,652 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

Not a hi-Jack if it is in the same subject matter...And this is. Also sure Cat won't mind.

So I'd say no to the lethicin. I have not heard of it absorbing into skin. It just helps the gut to accept the bio-availability of the medicine and food you eat.

I have not made a topical before but I would think you would not want to decarb or fully decarb the weed.

Decarb'ing turns thc(a) into its psychoactive brother thc for edible applications. You don't decarb the weed you smoke because the heat decarbs it as your smoking (very inefficiently). As we all know thc is what (among other things) gives us the stoned effect.

But with the topical you are wanting more of the thc(a) benifits...pain relief, sleep inducing, cancer cell inhibiting and the like.

Reading around you will find info on partially Decarb'ing your weed for topical applications. This can give you more play to decide what CBD's or desired effects your looking for with the thc.

Coconut oil is a quality oil for extractions. Good absorption but stays pretty oily on the skin for a while (good lube) but tends to smell like coconut for a while.

Grapeseed, almond, and avacado oil are also quality oils for extraction and are used widely in the cosmetic industry because of their high absorbility on the skin and little scent. (3 of the oils I use in the beard oil I make). They also seem to pull some of the medicine where coconut oil pulls some others.

I'd think about using a mix of the three but you won't go wrong with coconut oil.

Edited by PsyBearknot, 01 December 2015 - 09:39 PM.

• shiitakegrower and catattack like this

#19 shiitakegrower

shiitakegrower

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 454 posts

Donator

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

Liked your post and also wanted to say Thank You!  :biggrin:

• catattack likes this

#20 catattack

catattack