#22 TheObserver

TheObserver

Make em' say Umph!

• OG VIP
  • 1,136 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:38 AM

I'm just about to make some cannabis infused butter and this is what I needed to read. Using sugar leaf trim and popcorn buds. I will decarboxolate in the oven on minimum heat for 30 minutes sealed in tin foil on a cookie sheet. Take it out and let it cool before opening. Then throw it all in a crockpot slightly ground/chopped up to expose more surface. I warm up the water and butter till butter melts, add a Tblsp of Lecithin then add all dry bud and trim stir together and let it cook on low for 60 minutes. Strain/press through cheese cloth into a narrow square container. Put in the fridge overnight.

I've also learned through trial and error that an oz of good quality popcorn buds and sugar leaf trim to be a good amount for a cup (2 sticks) of butter. I'm still learning each time I make canna budder and I pick up a new idea or tip that helps like I've found in this thread.
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#23 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

Good luck Observer

Sounds like a solid process to follow.

#24 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

So I've picked up some soy lecithin - boy howdy that was a bitch to find !!

Now, I feel that I have a rational question.

From diligent searches, I see that the soy lecithin is mentioned in relation to making butter or coconut oil.........

Can soy lecithin be added to canola cooking oil/ olive oil/ other oils in the same way?

I saw a ratio of 1/2 - 1 Tbsp per cup of finished product.

Hoping someone can help.

Edit: I'm doing some more reading and find where most folks only make oil 1/2 cup at a time?? Or two sticks of butter? - Who does this?

The projected batch of cooking oil will be 48 fluid ounces as per usual. In that way, one need not make special oil every time they want to bake. The oil normally "does the trick" - I'm just looking into trying to double the mileage by adding lecithin.

Edited by Myc, 31 December 2015 - 02:19 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#25 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:11 PM

So I'm back to answer my own question.

It appears as though I could add the lecithin to the oil.....whenever I like. Duh?

But sometimes, when trying to over-complicate things, I overlook the obvious.

Recipe modification time.

From-scratch Brownies:

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

2/3 cup cooking oil <<< add 1 or two teaspoons of soy lecithin to the dry ingredients

1/2 cup cocoa

1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350*F

Stir by hand: sugar and eggs until even. Add oil and cocoa. Add vanilla, salt and soy lecithin.

Slowly add flour and baking powder and any nuts you like up to 1/4 cup. 

Do not use a mechanical mixer. For some reason, it messes up the recipe.

Pour mixture into a greased 8x8x2" cake pan

Bake @ 350*F for 35 min. 

Test by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done.

Allow the cake to cool in the pan. 

Icing:

1 cup sugar

1-1/2 tablespoon cocoa

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup evaporated milk

In a medium saucepan, combine all of the above ingredients

Heat on medium heat and bring to a boil

Cook one minute

Beat until smooth

Pour over brownies and smooth evenly.

Allow to cool.

Makes 9 Brownies. Each one being pretty strong. Break into 1/4's before consuming a whole one.

Edited by Myc, 31 December 2015 - 03:13 PM.

#26 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

So in oils I add 1 teaspoon for 1-2 cups of oil at the begenning.
I don't know if it helps or not but I read it helps with the extraction
Butter not at the begenning especially in water bath methods diluted the lethicin

Oil and butter I add 1 Tablespoon to --2 cups of oil at the end of the extraction after the plant material is strained out. Mix well and let cool.

I don't use any margarine or anything g that already has emulsifiers in it. They will make everything seize up to the plant material during the extraction.

Edited by PsyBearknot, 31 December 2015 - 04:20 PM.

#27 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

So I'm back to answer my own question.

It appears as though I could add the lecithin to the oil.....whenever I like. Duh?
But sometimes, when trying to over-complicate things, I overlook the obvious.

Recipe modification time.
From-scratch Brownies:

2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup cooking oil <<< add 1 or two teaspoons of soy lecithin to the dry ingredients

Is your lethicin liquid or powdered?

1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350*F
Stir by hand: sugar and eggs until even. Add oil and cocoa. Add vanilla, salt and soy lecithin.
Slowly add flour and baking powder and any nuts you like up to 1/4 cup.
Do not use a mechanical mixer. For some reason, it messes up the recipe.

Pour mixture into a greased 8x8x2" cake pan
Bake @ 350*F for 35 min.
Test by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done.
Allow the cake to cool in the pan.

Icing:
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoon cocoa
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup evaporated milk

In a medium saucepan, combine all of the above ingredients
Heat on medium heat and bring to a boil
Cook one minute
Beat until smooth
Pour over brownies and smooth evenly.
Allow to cool.
Makes 9 Brownies. Each one being pretty strong. Break into 1/4's before consuming a whole one.

In the above recipe use lethicin in your cooking oil extract as described above.
If your lethicin is powdered you can add it to your dry ingredients as well.
If liquid add to liquid.

Also if using high quality extract using very little plant material for less flavor you can use budder for your butter in the frosting

Edited by PsyBearknot, 31 December 2015 - 04:26 PM.

#28 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

Thanks PsyBearknot,

The product I was able to obtain was powdered - or tiny granules like graupel. 

The intent is to add it to the dry ingredients. 

Ingredient colors in green are variable in their chemical makeup. ;) Budder = Butter

A batch of oil just came off of the stove. The house smells perfectly wonderful. I have completely Hi-Jacked this thread and should have started another. Will figure out how to straighten this out. - Apologies catattack - come by. we'll have a brownie and talk it over. 

• PsyBearknot likes this

#29 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

hijack away! It's exactly the kind of info I want easy to find like!

• PsyBearknot likes this

#30 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

http://skunkpharmres...rin-extraction/

Hot glycerin extraction:

We prepare plant material and extract cannabis by the hot glycerin extraction process in much the same way as we do by the cold process, though we stir it instead of shaking, tumbling, or vibrating it.

We also use a thermal cycling process and stir regularly, rather than an extended cook as many processes call for. The expansion and contraction of the thermal cycling help break up the resins so that they dissolve more readily.

As with cold tincture, we load a canning jar 2/3’ds full of plant material, lightly compacted and then cover with glycerin while stirring with a wooden spoon, until every surface is well coated and mixture is homogenous, and then add another inch of glycerin on top.

We then set that jar in an electric fondue pot full of hot Canola oil at 200F, and stir it regularly with a wooden spoon until the mixture reaches 180F, and then we adjust the pot temperature controls to maintain 180F.

We stir the mixture regularly with a wooden spoon, for another thirty minutes, and then take it out of the hot oil and allow it to cool to ambient temperature.

For what it’s worth, we use a wooden spoon, because a light tink with a metal spoon against a hot glass jar while stirring, can break it and dump the whole mixture into the hot oil.

After the mixture has cooled to room temperature, we again place into 200F oil and bring it back up to 180F while stirring regularly. When it reaches 180F, after a through stir, we take it out of the hot oil and let it cool to ambient temperature again.

We repeat the last step about five more times and after the last cook and stir; we filter out the plant material while the mixture is still hot.

http://skunkpharmres...rin-extraction/

would there be any benefit to having the heat up/ cool down to be slow? Could it be done within those temps say in a h2o bath, in a cooker doing complete cool downs by just turning it off, say over the period of 3 days?

Edited by catattack, 10 January 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#31 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

Heat up / cool down
Don't have an answer but for discussion

I think if the extraction is heat + time = extraction then the longer (to a point) the plant material is in the oil the better.
All I know is that there is an amount of time betwee when the weed goes into the extraction and when all of it is extracted.
Tho longer extractions tend to pull more of the green flavor.

If we new a time range then a quick cool down would be fine when all the desired is extracted.

A slow heat up is good for me personally, A silly pothead who likes to get stoned before/during the extraction and am ALWAYS licking the spoon after I repeatedly stir, the bowl...etc during the extraction process. Well and the baking process. Less of a chance of me Burning up the batch as the oil fries everything away.

again no answer from experience but makes me wonder why they are using oil
unless for stability of the jar...

Water boils at 212 f
water boils with large and different sized bubbles. It starts to bubble around 180 F

where oil has a higher boiling / smoke point...around 500 F So won't tip jar over easily. The bubbles you get when cooking weed in oil is the moisture boiling off into the oil.
  • wharfrat and CatsAndBats like this

#32 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Thanks buddy, we shall see.. do I need soy lecithin?

Edited by catattack, 10 January 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#33 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

Thanks buddy, we shall see.. do I need soy lecithin?

No. If going for a topical.

Lethicin Is for the gut. For edibles.

#34 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

Oh this glycerin is for edibles. Gummy. For people w/o the ability to eat a big ol brownie with butter, or other traditional edibles. The soy lecithen would help if added to any edible right? For example cubensis chocolates?  

It just helps the body break down and absorb more correct?

Edited by catattack, 10 January 2016 - 07:32 PM.

#35 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

Oh yea then i'd use it.

Yes it makes it more absorbable or more efficient. To the 1.5 - 2 X more efficient.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#36 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

Cool! Is it the same amount for cube candies and say thc candies?

#37 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

Thanks PsyBearknot,

The product I was able to obtain was powdered - or tiny granules like graupel. 

The intent is to add it to the dry ingredients. 

Ingredient colors in green are variable in their chemical makeup. ;) Budder = Butter

A batch of oil just came off of the stove. The house smells perfectly wonderful. I have completely Hi-Jacked this thread and should have started another. Will figure out how to straighten this out. - Apologies catattack - come by. we'll have a brownie and talk it over. 

I WANT my threads hijacked, that way I can reference them!

Where's my brownie?!

Edited by catattack, 11 January 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#38 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:23 PM

Well I guess it worked because all of a sudden I'm baked out of my gourd. All I want to do is make candies out of it now, but I think i'm too stoned. 

that and I have to strain it. Duh!

Edited by catattack, 11 January 2016 - 07:41 PM.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#39 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:21 AM

Your brownie is still here catattack !  Come and get it !

After employing the soy lecithin in the recipe - I have to have the day off if I plan to eat the whole thing.

I was able to discuss this with a retired organic chemist - the addition of soy lecithin and its function.

A really nice lesson in chemistry followed. I was under the impression that the THC molecule was too large to be absorbed by the gut. I stand corrected - since the THC molecule "is composed of just a few itty-bitty carbon atoms".

What was explained to me is that molecules bind with a type of "electrostatic" force. Some of them bind easier - some of them can have those properties enhanced with chemistry. An emulsifier (like soy lecithin) makes the THC molecule more "sticky". 

Long story short........

It was suggested to try and add the soy lecithin to the oil (first suggested by PsyBearknot) - rather than the dry ingredients of the recipe.

One thing I did not know is that some folks have problems ingesting soy.

A little more research is in order.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#40 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

detective dorkasaurus

• OG VIP
  • 7,741 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

Adding it made a tsp kick my ASS

• Myc and PsyBearknot like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!