PROOF - Preach my feline friend!
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#42 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

Your brownie is still here catattack ! Come and get it !
After employing the soy lecithin in the recipe - I have to have the day off if I plan to eat the whole thing.

I was able to discuss this with a retired organic chemist - the addition of soy lecithin and its function.
A really nice lesson in chemistry followed. I was under the impression that the THC molecule was too large to be absorbed by the gut. I stand corrected - since the THC molecule "is composed of just a few itty-bitty carbon atoms".
What was explained to me is that molecules bind with a type of "electrostatic" force. Some of them bind easier - some of them can have those properties enhanced with chemistry. An emulsifier (like soy lecithin) makes the THC molecule more "sticky".

Long story short........

It was suggested to try and add the soy lecithin to the oil (first suggested by PsyBearknot) - rather than the dry ingredients of the recipe.

One thing I did not know is that some folks have problems ingesting soy.
A little more research is in order.

YES! THanks Myc. I love knowing the RIGHT reason. I had read many times that it was cause the THC molecule was too large!

And for those that are soy sensitive there is sunflower lethicin.

Edited by PsyBearknot, 13 January 2016 - 01:14 PM.

• Myc and CatsAndBats like this

#43 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

Mycotopia's only leucistic cat and bat hybrid©

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

Last time was a disaster though:

preacher.jpg

KIDS ADD SOY LECithin to YOUR eDIBLES! 

#44 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:04 AM

Haha love the new signature cat!

#45 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

I'm probably the last person that should be commenting here, and commend all of the great info here, but from my perspective it's becoming a bit antiquated. 

The solvent-free shatter thread does this. How?

It's easy. It's fast. It's activated.

I used to take a bunch of herb and throw it in some butter and water and do an extraction, then strain and bake. I used to take some herb and grind it up to dump into some oil to do an extraction, after heating for about 20min I'd let cool and make brownies or use the oil in cooking. I had a "coldfinger" alcohol style extractor which decarb'd as it processed, but would strip too much out and need refining at the end with an activated carbon swirl and final particulate filtration.

All of these methods work. Well. BUT. They take forever, the can be messy, and they need a lot of extra shit to make. With a 30$ vise and a 30$ hair straightener you can produce the purest form of activated solventless extraction currently available - fast, easy, cheap - and then simply measure and cook. You want 100mg doses? Take a gram and make 10 servings. Done.

I will concede the point that if you don't have access to dank nuggets and you're primarily extracting kief, shake, trim, bubble hash, etc then you may well be served continuing in the old way, or using a mesh bag to contain while pressing, but the quality still isn't the same as fresh dank. If you grow or have access to such then you're set - press the smaller stuff, smoke the bigger stuff, and do a longer more chemically extraction (oil/ethanol/iso) on the trim and shakey bits.

I'm spoiled. Sure. But I also have an eye for taking several hours to produce something that's not as good as the simpler shorter method.

Soy Lecithin? Absolutely. Spending all day in the kitchen babying an extraction only to spend several more hours cooking up all the things? Pass. I'd rather spend 30 min extracting a gram of activated goo, then bake and zero worries about anything else. The old coldfinger would take 4-6 hours to process a basket running at 175*F and then another hour or two to let it cool, carbon treat, and filter. Ugh. AND I still had to cook afterwards.

If you haven't already, gather some goods and try the solventless tek. Thank me later.

#46 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

To the OP - that last part was for you. 171-175*F for 4 hours should do the trick. Ideally lower temps better, but take longer. Nothing above 350*/375* pls as that's when the stuff we want starts evaporating. This includes whatever you're cooking. Most cookies are 350* so all good.

Also taking into consideration what you're starting with and what you're making. A lower temp may be required for some compounds posted higher up in this thread.

#47 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

I've done it on small scale with a curling iron and parchment paper.

I have access to "dabs" - temp-controlled electronic rig, titanium nail, bubbler - etc. In my personal case, it's easier to get professionally extracted products than it is to make one's own. Being a long-time smoker, I enjoy all of the various characters of the herb which get stripped away by an extraction. 

Baking is a hobby - just like myco-culture. Being able to "zazz-up" a baking recipe by reaching into the cupboard and grabbing the cooking oil is a real hoot.

Regarding the cold-finger extractor - raises eyebrows - I didn't see that one coming.

A Friend and I were just discussing this very process so I know precisely what you're talking about. Does your rig use N2?

• Zen_ and Juthro like this

#48 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

I'm probably the last person that should be commenting here, and commend all of the great info here, but from my perspective it's becoming a bit antiquated. 

The solvent-free shatter thread does this. How?

It's easy. It's fast. It's activated.

I used to take a bunch of herb and throw it in some butter and water and do an extraction, then strain and bake. I used to take some herb and grind it up to dump into some oil to do an extraction, after heating for about 20min I'd let cool and make brownies or use the oil in cooking. I had a "coldfinger" alcohol style extractor which decarb'd as it processed, but would strip too much out and need refining at the end with an activated carbon swirl and final particulate filtration.

All of these methods work. Well. BUT. They take forever, the can be messy, and they need a lot of extra shit to make. With a 30$ vise and a 30$ hair straightener you can produce the purest form of activated solventless extraction currently available - fast, easy, cheap - and then simply measure and cook. You want 100mg doses? Take a gram and make 10 servings. Done.

I will concede the point that if you don't have access to dank nuggets and you're primarily extracting kief, shake, trim, bubble hash, etc then you may well be served continuing in the old way, or using a mesh bag to contain while pressing, but the quality still isn't the same as fresh dank. If you grow or have access to such then you're set - press the smaller stuff, smoke the bigger stuff, and do a longer more chemically extraction (oil/ethanol/iso) on the trim and shakey bits.

I'm spoiled. Sure. But I also have an eye for taking several hours to produce something that's not as good as the simpler shorter method.

Soy Lecithin? Absolutely. Spending all day in the kitchen babying an extraction only to spend several more hours cooking up all the things? Pass. I'd rather spend 30 min extracting a gram of activated goo, then bake and zero worries about anything else. The old coldfinger would take 4-6 hours to process a basket running at 175*F and then another hour or two to let it cool, carbon treat, and filter. Ugh. AND I still had to cook afterwards.

If you haven't already, gather some goods and try the solventless tek. Thank me later.

Antiquated - maybe but the original post was not asking how to make solvent free shatter it was how to use glycerine to do an extraction. So I guess it was more about keeping the thread on topic then telling cat - no do this other way.

30-45 min decarb and a 45-60 min extracting for a 30 min brownie recipe does not necessarily = babysitting all day but I get your point that there are easier ways and many extract for 12-15 hours or more.

I think most still don't know the benifits of edibles and a tried and true (tho may be a little antiquated) recipe over attempting something new takes a learning and confidence curve. There's not a lot of info out there when searching about non oil or solvent extractions used for edibles.

I've never been one to make small batches when I do make my edible extraction and up till recently used brick weed to do it.
  • Juthro likes this

#49 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

Since Cat does not mind extra info on this
And after re reading Zen's thread I thought it would be a good link to include.

https://mycotopia.ne...t-free-shatter/

This does get an easy fairly quick way of getting the goods as needed. Should be more able to reliably dose some one since you know what amount your putting in vs just hoping everything got into the oil or extraction you just made.
  • Zen_ likes this

#50 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

Antiquated - maybe but the original post was not asking how to make solvent free shatter it was how to use glycerine to do an extraction. So I guess it was more about keeping the thread on topic then telling cat - no do this other way. 

It's just me being me. Sometimes it gets out without the appropriate control mechanisms. I didn't mean to sound dickish, hey, do it this way; although I can see that now. I'm also spoiled by locally available flora and an access to all this new stuff making me less apt to want to spend time on the latter. Realizing not everyone is coming where I'm coming from. 

Still, it does warrant a good mention. It can be baked with. Cooked with. Eaten. Reformed and "winterized" with ethanol and made into a tincture. 

It's the future. Don't worry about my nascent ramblings, and carry on!

A Friend and I were just discussing this very process so I know precisely what you're talking about. Does your rig use N2?

Nope. Ethanol.

175*F evaporates it. Through the top cap ice cold water is circulated causing the ethanol vapor to condense and drip from the "cold fingers" (glass nipples) and into the material being extracted. This process repeats, each evaporation/condensation cycle extracting and decarboxylating at the same time. 4 hours later and your material is toast, literally, you replace the extraction basket with the recollection basket (no holes) and recollect as much ethanol as possible. When done you still have a purification activated carbon wash to do, and a final filtration before ending up with a golden ethanol infused extraction. It's a closed system with recollection. Higher end units operate on a vacuum to lower the requisite operating temperature.

It's clean. Tidy. Very scientific. Totally unnecessary. Makes good RSO.

#51 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

It's just me being me. Sometimes it gets out without the appropriate control mechanisms. I didn't mean to sound dickish, hey, do it this way; although I can see that now. I'm also spoiled by locally available flora and an access to all this new stuff making me less apt to want to spend time on the latter. Realizing not everyone is coming where I'm coming from. 

Still, it does warrant a good mention. It can be baked with. Cooked with. Eaten. Reformed and "winterized" with ethanol and made into a tincture. 

It's the future. Don't worry about my nascent ramblings, and carry on!

Sorry Zen. Did not mean to make my response out to sound like your being a dick...I did not take it that way.. Emotionless words on a screen ya know.
  • Zen_ likes this

#52 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

RSO?
Not on my acronym list

#53 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

NO REGERTS!

Just for clarification (pun intended), I desired a tincture, but alcohol free. Something that one could put into (hypothetically/potentially) a capsule, a hard candy, under the tongue, and alcohol free. Glycerin was the only option that took all of these into consideration at the time.

Plus to be fair, not everyone lives on the left coast, where it's a lil easier to acquire supplies than where I hail, fucking Mars.

<3 y'all!

no-regerts-tatoo.jpg

Edited by catattack, 14 January 2016 - 04:33 PM.

#54 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

RSO = Rick Simpsons Oil

@catattack: No worries! ...and who said anything about the left coast? ;)

• CatsAndBats likes this

#55 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 632 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

Some awesome infos right here guys, thanks so much will enjoy reading through it!

Catattack ain't nuttin' to fuck with ! (:

• CatsAndBats likes this

#56 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

Some awesome infos right here guys, thanks so much will enjoy reading through it!

Catattack ain't nuttin' to fuck with ! (:

MARS NEEDS WEED!

Seriously, I just like to collect data from my friends and keep it somewhere I can find it.

;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!