• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

I was going to report my results on my first grow log thread, but I wanted all info to be together in a more concise format. I was also going to do more work with them using this style, but life sometimes gets in the way, and I will not have time for much growing in the near future. Plus, I believe I have done enough to prove that this is a viable means of growing pans. I am sure there is room for improvement here, but I will not have the opportunity for a while.

By only using BRF/manure cakes and cake style growing, one can successfully grow pans very easily with minimal effort. This can allow other grower’s not yet comfortable with grain spawn or bulk to grow some pans. One will not expect huge yields this way, verses standard procedures, but if you are looking for an easier way to grow them, this is for you.
The recipe used is pretty standard for dried ingredients for a BRF cake:                                                         

2 parts verm (Coir or a combination of both will work fine)

1/2  part manure (Black Kow composted manure brand from Lowes or Home Depot works great and is what I used here)

1/2 part BRF

The standard water amount would be 1 part H2O, however, I just do not trust recipes when looking for field capacity. I add water slowly until I feel field capacity with my hands. If you make it too wet, just add small amounts of verm or coir until you have it just right.

1. Verm base.JPG

Add the mixture to the jars and as normal, clean the top layer of the jar and cover with a dry layer of verm. Sterilize at 15 psi for 45 minutes and after cooled, inoculate with a spore syringe, LC or slurry, using standard cake procedures.

2. Jars ready.JPG

Allow them to colonize at room temperature until all jars are finished. The higher temperatures recommended are not necessary. I have grown pans from start to finish at 68-75 degrees for a few years now and have never had an issue with room temp. They will grow a little slower, but not that much. After colonized, allow them to consolidate for 3-5 days. Consolidating the cake is optional, but recommended.

3. Fully colonized.jpg

Now prepare a small plastic container by drilling several holes for some FAE. And take a zip-lock baggie and punch several holes in there as well.

4.Container.JPG 5. ziplock bag.JPG 6. Ziplock bag w holes.JPG

Bring some 50/50 coir/verm or 50/50 peat/verm to field capacity and sterilize at 15 psi for 45 minutes or pasteurize at 140-160 for 60-90 minutes and let it cool (I did not use plain verm but I am sure it would work too). If you would like to add some lime for pH, that would be better but not mandatory.

7. Casing.JPG

Now pour a thin layer into the bottom of the drilled container. This will act as a moisture reservoir/casing for your cakes.

8. res..JPG

There are 2 avenues you can take here:
1). Scrape off the dried verm layer, birth into the container and double end case.
2). Scrape off the dried verm layer, birth, dunk for 12-24 hours, then roll in field capacity coir/verm or peat/verm (or plain verm) and put into the container.

Then place the zip-lock baggies loosely over the top and set and forget. But of course, you want a good light source 12 on 12 off. An indirect fan blowing gently in the grow room will help a lot (thanks Jammer for the advice). However, I did not use one for this grow. So you do not need one, but it is highly recommended. Note: I did grow these cakes in a room with central heat and air conditioning, so I had some air flow. If you do not have central air, a fan would be paramount here. If by some chance they begin to dry, gently mist the cakes and containers as many times as it takes per day to keep the FAE to RH balanced (I doubt this will happen). But completely stop all misting upon pins forming. Pans do not like a lot of water on their fruit and will abort if too much H2O exists without proper FAE and evaporation. So it is better to be safe rather than sorry.

9. Invitro.jpg

These pics are an example of the double end cased cake:

10. IMG_0516.JPG 11. Pins forming.jpg 12. flush 1.JPG 13. Flush 4.JPG 14. Fruit 7.JPG 15. Fruit 8.JPG

These pics are an example of the dunked and rolled cake:

Rolled 4.JPG Rolled 5.JPG 16. Rolled (14).JPG 17. Rolled (13).JPG 18. Rolled (10).JPG 19. Rolled (15).JPG 20. Rolled (16).JPG

Using either method clearly works and proves that pans can be grown invitro style. It is a very easy and simple procedure to get some nice results. And since all 3 cakes I worked with fruited under these conditions, that is all the proof I need that this procedure is sound. Happy pan growing to all!

• phlegmbae, MLBjammer, GlitchInSpace and 23 others like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,177 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

Nice Write up Peacefrog! Thanks for sharing and putting this together, good stuff!
  • MLBjammer, CatsAndBats and peacefrog like this

#3 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

they are beautiful, thanks for the write up.

• MLBjammer and peacefrog like this

#4 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

This really should go straight to the archives, IMO, as it is a very important write-up, which allows new growers to see that pans can be done quite simply and that one does not have to be an advanced-level cultivator to produce decent flushes.

And it's invitro, which is the coolest aspect of it all, from my perspective.

And those fruits are, of course, very beautiful, and it is, as ever, quite well-written.

:meditate:  :thumbs_up2:

Edited by MLBjammer, 22 November 2015 - 02:08 PM.

• GlitchInSpace, Mycomaniac2007, -=Zeus=- and 6 others like this

#5 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

Thanks guys for the wonderful comments!

I went into my experiment not knowing the true threshold for these guys, but I knew I would find it one way or another. I have always just grown them the standard way; spawn, bulk, casing lots of FAE etc. But I became almost obsessed with the idea of simplifying them using the great tek of invitro.  And I must give MLBjammer his credit here, he gave me a ton of advice on invitro grows, which helped me a lot. I am not an invitro grower, so his advice along the way surely helped me succeed here.

Thanks again and good vibes to all!  

• MLBjammer, Heirloom and Jeepster like this

#6 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:21 PM

Nah, man, it was all you on this one.  I was just a cheerleader.

Damn good work, brother.

• Heirloom , peacefrog and snapshot706 like this

#7 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

Thanks, man!

Coming form the invitro master, that means a lot, bro. 

• MLBjammer likes this

#8 GlitchInSpace

GlitchInSpace

whitethumb

• OG VIP
  • 1,117 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

Love the whole write up, glad to see you doing your thing.

Did you provide any additional fresh air exchange by manually fanning? Other than the air that got in there via the holes predrilled.

My 1st attempts with pans were real similar to this and i had good results.
  • MLBjammer, Heirloom and peacefrog like this

#9 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:09 PM

Thanks, bro

No fanning at all. I started out with the least amount of FAE possible and slowly altered the grow as I went. I literally set um and forgot them, with the exception of taking pics lol.  

• MLBjammer, GlitchInSpace, panaho and 1 other like this

#10 GlitchInSpace

GlitchInSpace

whitethumb

• OG VIP
  • 1,117 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:15 PM

Did the dunked cakes out produce the cakes that weren't dunked?
  • MLBjammer likes this

#11 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:22 PM

Yes it did. but not by much. The double ended casing cakes produced fewer but meatier fruit. 

• MLBjammer and GlitchInSpace like this

#12 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:14 AM

That's the beauty of invitro--it's easy once you have your FAE set.

Edited by MLBjammer, 23 November 2015 - 04:14 AM.

• GlitchInSpace, Heirloom and peacefrog like this

#13 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:56 PM

I agree, I think I am really liking invitro growing. I had tried it back in the day using hippie3's tek with cubes true invitro. But was just stuck in my way and kept growing using standard procedures and never tried it again. 

I think I may be converted to invitro growing!  

• MLBjammer likes this

#14 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

For you it makes sense, as the only one eating them is you.  And it is pretty discreet, another added bonus.

• peacefrog likes this

#15 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:05 PM

nice write up, dem pans look beautiful :thumbs_up:

• MLBjammer and peacefrog like this

#16 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:11 PM

For you it makes sense, as the only one eating them is you.  And it is pretty discreet, another added bonus.

Agreed. 

Thanks, wharfrat. 

• MLBjammer and Heirloom like this

#17 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:51 AM

So what do you think of coir now?

#18 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

I have a new respect for it now. I apparently followed a horrible tek back when I tried it and completely wrote it off prematurely. I like it and will continue to work with it sometime whenever I have time to pick it back up.

#19 GlitchInSpace

GlitchInSpace

whitethumb

• OG VIP
  • 1,117 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

I like coir, in my experience it's pretty resistant to contamination and pretty inexpensive.
  • Heirloom and peacefrog like this

#20 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:34 PM

peacefrog I hope this comes as good news I gave away some pan T  goliath, I mentioned you name and suggested
 they read this as a "how to"

I will use this for my hawiian & cambo pans. first timer.

• peacefrog likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!