7 replies to this topic

#1 Cybilopsin

Cybilopsin

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 190 posts

Donator

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:10 PM

So a friend of mine just pulled out a little can of some dried cubies that were grown about 4 months ago.

They had been left in an unsealed (actually wide open) container that had previously stored some milled-grain product and still had grain residue. This container was left basically in a dark, sheltered indoor space for a few months. Stupid, I know.

He pulled them out today and found about 6 silverfish running around in there with the shrooms. he salvaged the shrooms and disposed of the bugs, moved them to a new container.

What you think about consuming the shrooms now? He's hoping the bugs were eating the milled-grain residue (which by the way was whole grain, mostly rye I think) and not the shrooms.

After all, psilocybin functions to deter insects, no? It acts as an insect nerve poison I hear.

Would leaving some dried fruita out in the ppen air for 4 months be enough to oxidize most of the psilocybin?

Just to be clear, we're not insectophobic. The fact that bugs were crawling over the shrooms would not in itself be enough to make them inedible in our eyes. If the insects were making a home inside the tissue that would be a diffenent story (there is nothing about their appearence to suggest this is so).

I'm eager to jear what everyone thinks!
  • Amanita Versicula likes this

#2 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,439 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:13 PM

From what I hear, silverfish eat paper, cardboard and mostly the glues not the cellulose itself.

Those muthafuggahs bite i hate them, but as far as eating up the good stuff, I don't think so.

Sitting out in the open air, only four months? I guess there's only one way to tell.

• Amanita Versicula and SparkyAnn like this

#3 Cybilopsin

Cybilopsin

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 190 posts

Donator

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:19 PM

We just did a visual comparison wih some that wete grown around the same time. Same strain. Only difference it they wete in an enclosed cloth bag (not airtight) in a cupboard where the insects could not get them.

The ones that had bugs in them look noticeably more brown, in their stems. Less white.

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,474 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:24 PM

If it were me, I would eat'em, and not think twice about it. Actually I would probably turn'em to tea, but that's just cuz I like tea.

I've eaten fresh shrooms (liberty caps) right out of the field until I forget to eat any more. I know the one's I dried have always had little worms crawl out of the gills as they dry, so I can only assume that means I have eaten lots of little worms through the years.

If it makes you uncomfortable, I would say let someone else eat'em, lol.
  • Amanita Versicula likes this

#5 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,982 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:24 PM

I've found them before in wild Cubes.

Bugs will add some protein to the shrooms.

eat bugs.jpg

• cap'n cube, Alder Logs, Amanita Versicula and 1 other like this

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,039 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:46 PM

I eat most any bug that has eaten the mushrooms or plants that I want to eat.  That's edibles and actives.  I look at it this way, when the little flying bug or butterfly laid her eggs on that mushroom or cabbage, their first meal, and every meal subsequent, was of that mushroom or that cabbage.  I figure that more than us, they are what they eat

Every green worm on the cabbage tastes just like cabbage to me.  The ones on the broccoli taste like broccoli.  I have conducted rigorous tests of this.  The worms in the mushrooms were always so small that I never separated them out and saved up enough of them for a proper test.  They just were collateral damage. 

As for us being what we eat.  I don't think so.  I was informed that we are not what we eat.  The man told me that "we are what we don't shit." 

These days, I no longer identify with my body.  I know I am not that.  But my body may vary well be what it doesn't shit.

• Amanita Versicula and Cybilopsin like this

#7 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 97 posts

Donator

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

Agree w/all the "advice"

and you eat Fish right?

AND IT tastes "like chicken"  

NOTHING could STOP me from eating them ~not a bug or dust. Just shake em (the dust) off! AND enjoy+

THE WILD OYSTERS i have are loaded w/bugs & takes a while to clean them up

but i will eat any mushroom 

ANY DAY i can~

~EVERYDAY would be best~

#8 Candyman

Candyman

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

Tea, just to be safe. That's just if I was really hungry;}

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!