1 reply to this topic

#1 Cybilopsin

Cybilopsin

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 196 posts

Donator

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

I needed a last-minute birthday present, so I'm using some materials on-hand and easily obtainable nearby to make a reed diffuser, along with a few small bottles of homemade diffuser blend to use in it.

The big unknown in my mind is this: can I use homemade tinctures of aromatic plants as a substitute for essential oils in some of the diffuser blends? The tinctures were made with >95% ethanol (Everclear) as the menstruum (solvent). I steeped dried herbs with high aromatic content (essential oils) in the Everclear for 4+ weeks. They are a deep, dark green in color from the dissolved chlorophyll.

As I see it, the tinctures are mostly alcohol and essential oils, a perfect base for the diffuser blend. Its the other contents that concern me, particularly the chlorophyll. Is there any basis for thinking that the chlorophyll or something else the tinctures might have picked up from the plant would clog the pores of the reeds?

The tinctures were strained to remove the used-up herbs, but never filtered to remove tiny particles. I've been using them for a while (some drops in a glass of water) and there's no evidence of any obvious sediment. However they are pretty cloudy and dark from the chlorophyll.

The plants used to make the tinctures were mugwort, linden, peppermint, lemon balm, lavender. All with plenty of alcohol-soluble aromatic volatile (essential) oils. And from the strong scent of the resulting tinctures, its obvious that those aromatics were successfully captured in the solution.

Am I overthinking this? 

As for the other materials I'm going to get the "official" rattan reeds instead of the cheaper bamboo skewers. I'll go to the thrift shop for a small, narrow-necked glass bottle.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Cybilopsin, 14 December 2015 - 10:35 AM.

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

Sounds like a very nice gift.
  • Cybilopsin likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!