#1 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,392 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

first time ever having deal with a mole digging up my yard, i assume it's a mole and not a gopher.  What is a humane way to get them to dig up my neighbors  yard and not mine? i got dogs but they aren't out side enough.

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

gopher-pic-red.jpg

Moles are a pain to get rid of IME. I have known some that have had luck using Milky Spore to get rid of the grubs that the moles eat, but I have had better results using traps. But be careful with the small dogs you have, those traps are capable of causing sever damage or death to a curious animal.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=milky spore

Here is a link to milky spore, but I have not used this brand. This is just for reference, in case you were unfamiliar with it.

If it is gopher's, again the only way I know to get rid of them is trapping. But they are IME much easier to trap then mole's. But care must be used with pets there as well.

As a kid my mother put a bounty on their heads, and trapping them was how I made my pocket money. Both can be quite destructive, and were to the small nursery that my folks owned and operated at the time.

I do ask that you try to stay away from the poison's they sell. They are quite toxic, and often do much more damage to non target animals, either by direct ingestion, or by secondary ingestion from predators.

Edited by Juthro, 26 December 2015 - 05:57 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,330 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

You can get those gopher sticks that resonate at some frequency that is supposed to drive them away. They work ok to drive them into the neighbors yard, as long as your neighbors don't do the same thing and drive them back.
  • Juthro and wharfrat like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,392 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:35 PM

lol, thans guys.. they were originally only in the neighbors yard, but just in the last week infiltrated my yard and i don't have enough of a yard to share with them. i will look into all 3 suggestions tyvm!

• Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,733 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:25 PM

I have at least 7 repelling teckniques for moles, including all that were listed above. The conclusion I came to was none of them except traps work. I had to pass on the traps as I have one dog of three that will not leave a trap alone.

What did work was in summer, catching several gopher snakes and releasing them in the moles exit holes. I never saw either the mole or the snakes again.

Edited by Skywatcher, 27 December 2015 - 12:52 AM.

• Arathu and Juthro like this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:29 AM

I remember my granddad had trap that held a light load 12ga shell that would fire into the hole when it was tripped. It didn't have to hit the mole directly, as the concussion of the blast, focused down the tunnel, would kill the mole even if the projectiles didn't hit it.

I remember thinking it was cool as a kid, but it was basically a booby trap, and mom would never let me use it around the nursery (with occasional customers wondering around).

I'm sure in todays political climate it would get you tossed into Guantanamo or worse. It was an incredibly dangerous tool, and I would never advise anyone to make, or use one. I just bring it up for nostalgia sake.
  • Spooner and wharfrat like this

#7 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

two things I have used that got temp results were

1. garden hose down hole, hose their dirt back down, it makes the grass better than having  pile of dirt for the lawn mower too. let it run, it will ruin their tunnels and sometimes drown them.

2. exhaust from any small motor. 2 cycle is best with the oil mix, but them being air cooled usually limits time you can gas them. It doesn't take much CO to fill their tunnels and end them. I let my tractor idle over their hole with a piece of pipe from the exhaust to the hole. Seal it with the dirt they dug up.

• wharfrat likes this

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

[Direct Link]

I saw these for sale back when I still lived in Oregon, and they are reported to be quite successful, but they are cost prohibitive for home owner use.

I disagree with the guy in the vid BTW, it is not the heat of the blast that kills the gopher, it is the overpressure wave channeled down their tunnel that does the job.
  • Il19z8rn4li1 and wharfrat like this

#9 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,733 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

LOL

Do you think gasoline in the hole and a tossed lit cig might suffice ? 

Obviously a running hose might be needed after........................

and some new grass seed.

• Juthro and wharfrat like this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

Any combustible gas would work, but you have to add the additional oxygen as there is a limited amount of it in the tunnel to support the explosive combustion. With gas and a match you just get a little "whomp" and then a flame burning at the whole, kind of like the tomb of the unknown gofer, until the fuel runs out.

If a guy had an oxy/acetylene torch kit, that could do the job nicely.

When I was younger at a friends house (while his parents were at work) we were filling large (as in 33 gal size) plastic garbage bags with oxy/acetylene, tying them off, and making a long fuse of toilet paper. The mix is barely buoyant in the open air so the bags would kind of just kind of hang there, but not really float. When the bag went off, it sounded like artillery fire, and would shake the house. It was all fun and games until the wind came up after we had lit the TP and blew one bag back towards the garage. It blew some of the windows out of garage door.

Aw, the life of a latchkey kid, lol.

His parents didn't let me come over to play after that.....

:)
  • Sidestreet and wharfrat like this

#11 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,392 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

If a guy had an oxy/acetylene torch kit, that could do the job nicely.

When I was younger at a friends house (while his parents were at work) we were filling large (as in 33 gal size) plastic garbage bags with oxy/acetylene, tying them off, and making a long fuse :)

LMAO!! i have oxy/acetylene.. we like to make rubber glove bombs with a brake clean fuse..

• Juthro likes this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:50 PM

My understanding is gofer's and mole's both are very sensitive to pressure changes, because they live most of their life in their tunnels. That makes an overpressure wave down their tunnel a very effective way of getting rid of them.

This could be your answer my friend, but (as you know) you should need MUCH less then 33 gal's of pre-mixed gas.

Even if it doesn't work, it would be fun.

:)
  • Il19z8rn4li1 and wharfrat like this

#13 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

my kinda thread right here :P

I dont really have LAWN issues with moles, but in the garden they are most def around.

So my response is obviously sided to flower beds and gardens.

I find just killing the ones I see or happen to stir up while in the garden works enough to keep numbers low.

I dont hunt them out to try and eliminate them because I like having gardener snakes of all sizes in my garden.

baby snakes eat the wolf spiders, while the adult snakes follow the mole tunnels and actively hunt them down.

Your gunna have to have snake habit of course within the beds or garden.

outdoor cats work really well too, I have 3 outdoor cats for half acre garden

The gas and blast video was epic... lol...

Gothers... outdoor dog..

OR trap and kill them.   Maybe eat them, if not for sure compost their body so you can put them back into the soil.

Its illegal to relocate trap animals in my area... and frankly thats a "law" id obey because I wouldnt want some

joker dropping off cages of racoons near my location that might be on the other side of the county for him. 

I never had gopher issues, but I believe thats because i dont have the food for them and there is just to much activity in my

garden/yard.

I have seen a lot of people using those mole rid high pitch sound thingys.

They are battery or solar powered, push into the ground and emit a high pitch tone or something.

The animals dont like it, so they vacate.  Try those, i think they are cheap.

http://www.amazon.co... mole repellant

51NN3EJ0lcL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 28 December 2015 - 03:40 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#14 MountainGuardian

MountainGuardian

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:37 AM

[Direct Link]

I saw these for sale back when I still lived in Oregon, and they are reported to be quite successful, but they are cost prohibitive for home owner use.

I disagree with the guy in the vid BTW, it is not the heat of the blast that kills the gopher, it is the overpressure wave channeled down their tunnel that does the job.

These work well, I happen to know the guy that patented those.   What area of Oregon are you from, I grew up all over central and eastern Oregon and went to HS in the Portland area.

#15 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,467 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

I grew up (kind of) in the hills with the ferns, and moss of the North Coast range:)

#16 Teonanacatl38

Teonanacatl38

Extradimentional Psilocypher

• Expired Member
  • 1,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

When I was growing up in the south, The old ladies used to wrap their flower bulbs  in chewing gum, so that poaching rodents would get clogged up and die.

I'm not sure how well  that works, but it always gave me a chuckle :biggrin: 

Double up.jpg

Edited by Teonanacatl38, 09 November 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#17 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,392 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:03 PM

we eventually used the sonic noise maker stup things, they didnt work at all... and we still have the lil bastard messing up the yard.. kinda gave up on him

#18 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:11 PM

If you can't beat them join them. Make him a pet.
  • wharfrat likes this

#19 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

I have the little infiltrators too (bastiges!).

I've been lazy about trapping them and they are starting to multiply.

The cat/dogs get the occasional one but the dogs can't free range (city pets adopted @ 1.5yo) and the cat likes mice for "appreciative presents" left outside the door.

I'm going full metal jacket road warrior on their asses this year w/ a 3 pronged assault of ye olde traps (triggered spring/spike type), flooding, and concussive warfare (I didn't know about the pressure sensitivity) this year and max out the little heathens.

Would it not be for the damage they do I'd be importing them as they aerate soil quite nicely and it's too bad they can't be "penned" in the garden area during early spring.

• wharfrat likes this

#20 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:48 PM

I have a suggestion that I didn't notice mentioned...stop caring about your grass so much. It's grass for chrissakes ;)

Really though, I hope nobody is offended but I got a chuckle at how much effort you folks are going to in order to combat moles. Around here moles just make piles of dirt in the grass. I've never heard of moles that eat plants. Now voles are a different matter altogether.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!