• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:55 PM

For all of the hot pepper lovers out there, I have a few questions.

My sister in law bought me some seeds for next year and just wanted to know if any of you have tried them:

Carolina Reaper
Brain Stain
Brazilian Starfish
The Neil Scorpion
Purple Pumpkin
7 Pod Brown

I know these are all CRAZY hot, but I don't just like crazy hot if there isn't good flavor associated with them. So any comments would be appreciated.
  • Juthro, Heirloom and skunk like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

I love growing peppers, but the really hot ones are not kind to me. So I grow more in the sweet to mild range, with Georgia Flame being about the hottest I grow.

One of my favorite peppers is felicity, which is a jalapeno that still has all the flavor, but not the heat. I like to smoke them and then grind them into chili powder, I use it on damn near everything.

Keep us appraised on your grow and let us know what you think of your new peppers, please.

Peace,
Juth

• whitethumb, AGAMA, Heirloom and 2 others like this

#3 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

Thanks, Juthro. I will. I'm a hot pepper sauce fanatic. I love trying and making new sauces and trying new, hot peppers. And I love growing them myself. I just love spicy stuff!
  • whitethumb, AGAMA, Juthro and 1 other like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

I hear you, and I like the hot and spicy stuff myself, but as I've gotten older my stomach does not tolerate it as well. But I still love the flavor.

I've never made my own sauces, but I use a lot of Franks. And like I already said, I love making my own chili powder blends, especially smoked.

It's too bad that Turkey Rancher is AWOL, he had some great pepper knowledge, and was a fellow chili head. But there are others lovers of the flame still here that I'm sure will chime in when they see your thread.

If you would like a sampler of some paprika, felicity, or ruby king (a mid sized sweet bell) seeds, my seed saving operation has some extra that I would be happy to share with a fellow Topian.
  • Heirloom likes this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

my hydro guys said that carolina pepper is so hot that it's pointless to eat.. too painful.

• Heirloom likes this

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,404 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:53 AM

I grow various jalapenos, chile piquin, mexicali, and many more.

I've learned that the "heat" of the pepper seems to be contained in the pulpy material to which the seeds are attached.

One can pare this material off of the "meat" of the pepper in a number of ways:

For larger peppers, an apple-corer works pretty well but can leave a "hot spot" in the tip of the fruit. Then "stuff" the pepper using a pastry sleeve and some softened cream cheese, wrap with a thick slice of peppered bacon, place on a cookie sheet and bake @ 400*F until the bacon is done to preference.

For a sure-fire way (lol) to get all of the material, the pepper can be quartered to render all of the pulp available for removal. But this isn't handy for stuffing.

You may still have a "hot" pepper for some crowds but the punishment factor of especially hot specimens can be reduced in order to enjoy some of the more subtle flavors rendered up by roasting and broiling.

If you cook the pepper first, the oils from the pulp are distributed throughout the dish - then, everything's hot.

Also,

Don't rub your eyes or scratch your nose !

• Juthro, Heirloom , CatsAndBats and 2 others like this

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

Wash hands before and after the restroom too. I learned that the hard way.

• Myc, peacefrog and Electricjellyfish like this

#8 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,503 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

Sounds like some lovely strains of peppers. I love hot one even though with my old age it doesn't agree with my insides.

Would be interested in seeing these grow when it's time to sow.

Skunk
  • peacefrog likes this

#9 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,577 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

I love peppers, everyone has its special use. I love them all from bell peppers to hot.
For me a few  cayenne pepper plants provides a years worth.

I had the best paprika a week ago from my sister, I still crave it.

I am looking at the seeds saver catalog for peppers.

I wondered about Turkey .

• peacefrog likes this

#10 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Cat, I made a ghost pepper sauce a few years back and didn't use gloves while cutting. Needless to say I was in some real pain after rubbing my eyes. Very stupid of me. With jalapeños or even habanero's I don't usually wear gloves. But anything hotter then that I make it a point to wear them.

Myc, thanks for the tip and recipe. I will have to try that soon. I normally just make pepper sauces with my hot peppers, dry my cayennes, and pickle my jalapeños. I do have a very good tolerance to heat but have never attempted eating any whole pepper hotter than a habanero. I can't wait to see them grow. My brother in law watnts to do a true pepper test by eating them whole. I doubt I'll do that but we will see, he can sometimes talk me into doing stupid stuff from time to time.

And thanks for the offer, Juthro. I might take you up on it one day.

Happy growing.

Edited by peacefrog, 30 December 2015 - 02:34 PM.

• Myc and Juthro like this

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

I like that recipe Myc, my father in-law makes 'em like that, though he uses turkey bacon (my in-laws don't eat pork). They are delicious.

He calls them atomic buffalo turds, lol (ABT's for short). And your very correct, most of the heat is contained in the membrane, and seeds.

He also grows some nice Anaheim peppers. He blisters the skin (on the gas grill) and removes it, then pressure cans then. Think canned green chilis for Mexican food, they are delicious. And its a great way to preserve your peppers if you get a bumper crop and get more then you can eat.

And the offer for my surplus seeds is open to all members of the site, if anyone would like some, just PM me.

Edited by Juthro, 30 December 2015 - 03:47 PM.

• Myc and skunk like this

#12 Fletch

Fletch

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

I grown always wax pepper, banana pepper, Thai chillies, jalapeño, different habs, ghost pepper, and a few scorpion, preferably Trinidad or so.

The scorpions are too hot to get flavor but can be used. The ghost is the best, simply put a whole one with any meal you eat. You can slice it small and work it in or have it on side of plate and slice as you go. You get the great flavor and also a bit of heat, little sweating and the tingling lips. That's the best way to do these hots. Almost all super hot sauces suck in flavor.

#13 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:05 AM

Here's some shots of my hot peppers growing. My wife and I didn't get to do the garden this year, as we have way too much going on with the new baby. But, I did straight up seed some pots on our deck, where we have all of our herbs. I just said screw it, I want to see if anything makes and I didn't have time to do what I normally do and seed indoors early to transplant.

This is what's left after the damn squirrels dug up a couple of seedlings:
image.jpeg

The big one is the 7 pod brown and is doing the best so far. The other decent one is the Neil's Scorpion. The next biggest one is the Brain Stain, and the little guy is another 7 pod brown that I transplanted just incase it produced instead of throwing away.

The other varities including my Carolina Reeper (which I was very excited to try) were all dug up by the squirrels. Oh well next year I guess.

Here is a pic of my first little peppers forming:
image.jpeg

And more coming at the top:
image.jpeg

I don't think I will have too much to harvest this year, as I seeded them later than I would have transplanted them, but we will see.
  • skunk likes this

#14 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,503 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:08 AM

If you get seeds from that Carolina Reaper I'd love to aquire some to have a bash at growing it. It's supposed to be the hottest pepper around if I'm not mistaken.

I've been really wanting to grow that type.

I find year 2 for peppers is the best harvest for them. I over winter my peppers indoors and come spring they are ready for their second fruiting season and wow so they ever produce.

Here is some Capsicum frutescens the tobasso pepper. Will have a decent harvest this year but the next years to follow will be outstanding.

64b8bcfa40dda3fafdae61af60de2dc2.jpg
6a38eae7ebe5fdb78b745057538cac28.jpg
ccbfa4d42e72d9ffa641cc3a3dd82ef6.jpg

Skunk
a616a4165b4a1a9e91403f85045f0cac.jpg

Down in the Dungeon!

Edited by skunkbudda403, 20 July 2016 - 08:11 AM.

• Juthro, peacefrog and DawgPhish76 like this

#15 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:32 PM

Absolutely I can send you some. I have a packet of about 15 or so and I planted 3. But if you want just a few, I can send you anytime just pm me an addy. If you want to wait until I grown um (next year) and send you a bunch, I can do that also.

Nice looking peppers!! You have a lot of there. Mine are going to be nowhere near that this year. I will be happy just to get a few peppers per plant to try and get some seeds.

According to the people who are responsibe for the Neil's Scorpion, say it is a toss up between them and the Reeper. I was hoping to see for myself this year, but well... That's how life goes. I can send you some of them if you like too.

Thanks for posting those beautiful pics of those peppers.
  • Juthro likes this

#16 ducatidave

ducatidave

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:35 PM

For those of you who want the flavor and aroma of the habanero without the heat I seriously suggest giving the "Habanada" a go!

The "Reaper" is simply unnecessary but I grow them every year because of the flavor and aroma. I have a couple three year old plants in 20 gal. Smart Pots that I bring in for the winter, they're very prolific!
I mainly use them in jellies, hot chocolate mixes, and fermented hot sauces.

The Fatalii is really hot but not near as hot as the Reaper, it has a bright citrusy flavor.
I use them in fruit salsas, dried and ground for everyday use.

...and for a real treat the Biquinho is delicious especially in a sweet marinade.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3490.JPG
  • IMG_3489.JPG

• coorsmikey, Juthro, OldBear and 1 other like this

#17 ducatidave

ducatidave

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:48 PM

Dang, forgot the Biquinho pic!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3504.PNG

• Juthro, OldBear and Cuboid like this

#18 Kraven

Kraven

CannaMycologist

• OG VIP
  • 857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:46 AM

This years was ghost, orange habenaro, Thai hots, all three bells some Tabasco and some 7 pot...just picked these this am..

post-154078-0-61869600-1542293160.jpg

Edited by Kraven, 15 November 2018 - 09:46 AM.

• Juthro and OldBear like this

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:04 PM

The only hot peppers I grow (right now) are cayenne, and jalapeno.   Though I also grow poblano's, and Anaheim's, I think they are also classified as hot peppers, though at the low end of the spectrum.

Other then that, the rest of my peppers are sweet peppers.  We generally grow ruby king, yum yum gold, harvesters gold, and felicity( a heatless jalapeno). 

Edited by Juthro, 16 November 2018 - 11:20 PM.

• OldBear and Kraven like this

#20 OldBear

OldBear

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 138 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:32 PM

We grew some orange habanero & giant jalapeno this year. They didn’t enjoy our cold rainy summer, but we got enough habanero to make a batch of Light My Fire pepper sauce using this recipe https://allourway.co...o-pepper-sauce/

It’s dynamite — superb flavor & just enough bite to keep it interesting. We have it on our eggs in the morning & with venison last night.
  • Juthro and Kraven like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!