Fisana

- - - - -

Outdoor Cubensis Project

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:20 PM

I've finally begun my outdoor projects for the season.

I'm trying a couple different ways for me this time around. I like the fact that outdoor growing can be accomplished in so many different ways.

IMG_0325.jpg These are my boxes, are being kept on the deck in hopes of stopping critters better. Possible to lose the bottoms out of course, so a board placed under them makes me feel better if I have to move them, etc. They were spawned with grain jars that were about 3 months old.
IMG_0327.jpg This is the old sled that was all cracked, and broken in a few places in the bottom. This was also spawned with 2 old jars of grain in one half, and 3 brfv cakes that had been sitting dunking in the fridge for 3 weeks or so in the other half.

These are pics of how I prepare my bulk outdoor substrate for mixing and spawning. I like to soak a bunch of straw, sometimes I add a little lime with it, and sometimes I add the manure with it to soak all at once. I never pasteurize anything for outside and never worry about being clean etc.

IMG_0372.jpg the soaked straw

IMG_0377.jpg And mixing it all up together

When I built the boxes I layed 2 inches of just the soaked straw on the bottoms to help hold the poo and spawn inside.

After its all made, I like to lay about 2 inches of dry straw, or old dry grass clippings on top. This allows me to water/or let the rain water without ruining the mycelium and substrate.

I made these 6 days ago and they are coming along nicely.
I'll update with pics as soon as something more exciting happens. They are colonizing the sides of the boxes which is kinda cool looking too.

One thing that is really important if you are going to do outdoor growing and use containers etc. that you drill holes in the bottoms for draining. If the water can't drain you'll just drown the substrates. One of the reasons I decided to try the boxes.
Also, shade, shade, shade. If you don't have shade, try to cover your patch with a dark breathable material of some kind. Poke a few holes if you need to get some light through to them. We don't want the substrates to get sunbaked.

*Please note: this isn't an outdoor tek or anything. I haven't even fruited anything from them yet. Its just my outdoor project. So, please, don't replicate unless you can stand failure. I could very well fail and not get any fruits.*

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0376.jpg
  • IMG_0375.jpg
  • IMG_0374.jpg

#2 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:35 PM

Very Cool!

#3 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:56 PM

Cool indeed! Best of luck with your outdoor project Freaky! :cacti: Of course sending good vibes yer way!!! You'll do great. I just know it!

#4 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

:) Thanks.....those vibes are definitely gonna help em out!

Various strains have been used, PE isolates in 2 different boxes and in half the sled.
PF Albinos in a box, PFC in a box, PF Redspore in the other half of the sled.
Some others I'm too stoned to remember too :lol: :rasta:

#5 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:20 PM

Lol, it's because you been bogarting that J! Hahaha :rasta:

#6 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

Lol, it's because you been bogarting that J! Hahaha :rasta:

:lol:

I know..........I'm sorry! Ear..............cough cough cough.........
:rasta:

#7 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

I love the outdoors. I really like the fact that there is no need to pasteurize. I do however beat my straw up pretty good so that waxy layer will be a bit easier to permeate by the mycelium.

Looking damn good, freaky. I bet you get some boomers and a bunch of em! Can't wait for more pics! :) :heartbeat

#8 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:49 PM

Thanks Dial8!!!! Your outdoor stuff is so GR8, it inspires me!!!!

I'm really lazy when it comes to the summer outdoor stuff, I just toss it all together with as minimal work as possible lol. I'm sure your method of beating the straw up makes it colonize much nicer than mine. Also, I've been thinking of adding the touch of dish soap to the outside straw soak for it to get hydrated a bit quicker etc. I never know what I'll do or try with it lol.
I like that some of the straw has grown some nice grass up out of the top of the PE boxes, I know that should help them some.

I'll update with some pix soon, hoping for some more rain :)

#9 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

Cool hope it works out.

#10 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

Ah, freaky, your so kind. All of the projects you do are top notch also. I don't really know if beating it up makes much of a difference especially if one is chopping it up really fine to begin with. I just do it cause I'm a little meticulous like that. But less work is always good! ;)

Thanks Dial8!!!! Your outdoor stuff is so GR8, it inspires me!!!!

I'm really lazy when it comes to the summer outdoor stuff, I just toss it all together with as minimal work as possible lol. I'm sure your method of beating the straw up makes it colonize much nicer than mine. Also, I've been thinking of adding the touch of dish soap to the outside straw soak for it to get hydrated a bit quicker etc. I never know what I'll do or try with it lol.
I like that some of the straw has grown some nice grass up out of the top of the PE boxes, I know that should help them some.

I'll update with some pix soon, hoping for some more rain :)

#11 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

What a great way to recycle cardboard:eusa_danc ...should work well...

#12 WeedyResin

WeedyResin

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

These look like they're gonna do great! Hey TaCO, bogarting that joint is right... I thought we'd need a fuckin' oz. with all the Goddamnit this and mother fucker that when we started... I love watching her cuss out Mason jars. Now I have that song stuck in my head... "Don't bogart that joint my friend, pass it over to me...""roll another one, just like the other one... this one's 'bout to the end, so c'mon and be a real friend." Golly, You got that right bra... The mycelium is colonizing the boxes already too! I'll tell Frak to take some pics of it. I can't wait to see the fruits! (fingers crossed)

#13 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

#14 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

:lol:

#15 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:23 PM

No, thank you all! I learn more from you guys here than any book could ever teach me!

The rain missed us by a few houses :(

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:43 AM

great thread as usual, freak.
:cool:

#17 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:59 AM

:love: Thanks Hippie, gonna do a morning water and check em out here ina few.......gotta finish the morning coffee :lol:

#18 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

I absolutely adore mornings like that! Wish I was there with ya! Sounds really nice. :)

:love: Thanks Hippie, gonna do a morning water and check em out here ina few.......gotta finish the morning coffee :lol:

#19 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

:)

I've got to get a few pics, but I think the sled is winning out. I think I might be seeing the start of some hyphal knotting/pins popping out for both the PE and PF Redspore.

I didn't water yet as they seem pretty heavy and moist enough. Too bad today isn't a high humidity day lol.

And Dial8, its a great morning today :) Wish all ya'll could be here, enjoying the beauty it with me!

#20 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

Darn inky caps.........they are popping up now, I've been picking them when I see em as pins.

I'll try to snap some pics today so you can see how colonized they are. I'm really hoping the PE boxes do well. They are the best looking so far.

I'm sending vibes to my outdoor projects to suprise me with pins soon :)

:dance: good vibe dance

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!