• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:57 AM

Thought i would share this with you, started fermenting dill and sweet pickles, sauerkraut, and garlic.

Got into the dill pickles today, pretty good a little plain just dill and garlic, have to try and add more spices next time.

If you try and ferment garlic be prepared for the garlic smell my apartment smells strongly of garlic, im sure my neighbors are real happy lol.

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

• prof_it_e, Il19z8rn4li1 and Juthro like this

#2 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:03 AM

shit lost half my post.

bottom photo is a bottle of apple jacks i got into last night, apple jacks is a freezer concentrate, its been mellowing in the bottle for six months. It must be pushing 20% alcohol, had a 4oz glass last night and was feeling pretty good after that. pretty happy with how it turned out, drinkable at room temperature and dangerous on ice. have a gallon of it.

• Juthro likes this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,586 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

Very cool Pan1! Thanks for sharing, :)

I had the privilege this last summer, of hearing Sandor Katz (the author of "The Art of Fermentation") speak at a local tribal center near where I live. He is an amazingly cool guy, with a truck load of knowledge. I think you would really enjoy his books, if you haven't already read them.

Peace,
Juth

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:35 PM

I am interested in kimchi.

• Juthro likes this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,586 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:01 PM

I was mostly interested in learning about sourdough at the time.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#6 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

I looked at Sandor Katz site, some very interesting ferments on his blog i would of never thought of, will have to give his book a read.

kimchi looks so complicated lol

Im not sure if i can let this garlic go much longer its eye watering in here lol just from two little jars

Edited by Pan1, 09 January 2016 - 02:24 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

Any way I could talk you into putting together a step-by-step "tek" on how to make pickles? 

I know a little about what you're doing. I've seen it at A Friend's house and had a chance to try a few things.

Hoping you'll share.

• coorsmikey, Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#8 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:07 AM

yeah i might be able to do that. it will be a short tek tho. the dill pickles are just basically dill cucumbers and salt water. going to try and spice them up.

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,586 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

Any way I could talk you into putting together a step-by-step "tek" on how to make pickles? 

I know a little about what you're doing. I've seen it at A Friend's house and had a chance to try a few things.

Hoping you'll share.

Hey Myc, here is a good source of pickling info for you (or anyone else).

:)

Edit: add link, and put down pipe. lol
http://nchfp.uga.edu...n6b_pickle.html

Edited by Juthro, 18 January 2016 - 12:28 PM.

#10 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Chapter 18  (Stalking the Good life-Euell Gibbons)

The Dilly Crock

“Every Wild food gatherer needs a dill crock.  Every gardener needs a dill crock.  Everybody needs one.

And just what is a dill crock?  It is a way to enjoy some of the finest food you have ever tasted.  It is an “in” thing as much status value as a free- form swimming pool-but costs practically nothing.  It’s the way to practice one-upmanship on a budget.  It is a grand luxury that soon becomes a necessity.  A dill crock is so easily mad and maintained that there is no excuse for not having one.  One?  After getting started on this hobby,  I”ll bet you make two, or three, or maybe a half-dozen.

Naturally I got started on this tasty sport with wild food.  A nearby patch of wild Jerusalem artichoke pickles.  I didn’t even use a crock; I used a gallon sixed glass jar. 

It was late fall, and my dill bed had long since gone to seed-so long ago, in fact, that a new volunteer crop of dill had sprung up.  It wasn’t flowering, but it did have the right aroma and flavor, so I decided to use it anyway, adding a few dill seeds to make sure……

Packing a layer of dill at the bottom of the jar, I added several cloves of garlic, a few Tabasco peppers, then some peeled tubers of Jerusalem artichokes plus another layer of dill (You can use any vegetables wild or cultivated) There was room left, and I looked around for other things to add.  The winter onions had great bunches of top sets, so I peeled a few and made a layer of them.  Then I dug up some bottom bulbs, which are shaped like huge cloves of garlic, to make another layer. I then made a layer of cauliflower picked apart into small florets and added some sweet red pepper cut into strips, along with a handful of tow of green nasturtium seed pods.

This was all covered with brine made of one measure of salt to a half measure of vinegar and ten measures of water.  I I topped the whole thing with another layers of young dill, set a small saucer on top weighted with a rock, to keep everything below the brine, and took it down in the cool cellar for a two week stay.”

Easy dilled pickles that rival NYC pickles:  Stuff a jar with lengthwise sliced cucumbers regular or pickling ones add dill, fresh and seed, 4 cut up cloves of garlic and use the above recipe for the brine.   Easy and delishish. I let sit in the fridge for a week to cure.  Too salty? Pour off a little brine and add water , let sit and check again.  Easy

• Zwapa, happy4nic8r and Pan1 like this

#11 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

Here's an idea for a healthy fermentation mix: Buy a bag of cole slaw or oriental mix (already chopped up) add salt and water according to Sandor Katz book and put it in a crock weighted down with a plate and rock. You can add some peppers and make an easy kimchi too.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!