68 replies to this topic

#41 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

Hmm, not my experience with Falbino.  I recall it putting out some monsters and not being slow.  I believe I have some prints left of it.  I got my prints from TCO, though, so that might be the difference.  The F+ side of the strain did seem to dominate things with what I was doing.  It was really good on cakes, as I recall.

I might start a new isolation thread and dump my 'purse' out for erryone to see (as I'm apt to do!), see if we can get it done..

womp.

• MLBjammer, peacefrog and meyer like this

#42 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:31 AM

hmmmm. Might have to make a special agar for it. Thicker/harder, so that it runs faster on the agar... IDK.

#43 Sade

Sade

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 420 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

So jealous of your fruits cat. Everything looks great. I can't wait to knock up some more jars. Just need the spores first.thinking of buying more golden teachers, penis envy, and amazonian. I hear those are all noob friendly.

#44 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

pe's are not 'new to the hobby' friendly IMO. They take too long to fruit, and sometimes colonize IME. Never grown the other two, however they sound grrreat! Don't sleep on cambodians from a trusted source, they are usually about a week faster IME. The fruits are small but the fast speeds build up confidence in my opinion.

good luck, 

remember to think about going VIP! 

Edited by catattack, 29 February 2016 - 01:12 PM.

• prof_it_e, Cue, Microbe and 1 other like this

#45 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

Pretty much any cubensis strain is noob friendly.  PEs can take longer, but they aren't hard to grow.

• Microbe and CatsAndBats like this

#46 meyer

meyer

Its better to burn out, than fade away...

• OG VIP
  • 1,037 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:51 PM

I will tell you from a beginners view point, Ecudorians and Golden Teachers are both very fast growers and big fruiters. You will be happy much quicker with a fast growing strain IMO.

BTW, I always have a PE strain growing because I love the taste and potency of them, but they are generally slower, but if you don't put all of your effs in one basket, and have others going as well, then you can be patient and the longer growth period should not matter, except that you want to munch on the PEs. asap!

Edited by meyer, 29 February 2016 - 11:54 PM.

#47 meyer

meyer

• OG VIP
  • 1,037 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:56 PM

Cat, please start a new Agar thread, I have 10 petri dishes ready to go, just trying to decide what to shoot them up with, was thinking PE and seeing if I can isolate it for faster growing, has anyone else done this?

#48 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,478 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:39 AM

Cat, please start a new Agar thread, I have 10 petri dishes ready to go, just trying to decide what to shoot them up with, was thinking PE and seeing if I can isolate it for faster growing, has anyone else done this?

What's wrong with Cats current agar thread? Also Yes people isolate for faster growing strains. Why wouldn't someone not want an efficient grow?
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#49 meyer

meyer

• OG VIP
  • 1,037 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:52 AM

I thought he said he might start a new thread so I was encouraging him. I just wanted to mimic Cat's grow thread, but I guess I will just start working with agar and try to get a faster colonizing PE, maybe I will post my own thread for feedback purposes as I am new to this game. Do you use agar to clone as well? If so, you just put it in a Petri dish? I have much learning to do.

#50 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,478 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:45 AM

Cloning a slow fruiting low yielding strain will get you just that! Please do start a grow log of your own, that's what we do here. Many members have suggested that you learn agar and sterile technique from the posts I read. I agree especially if you are gonna venture in to the more difficult to grow species as such when you joined our community. I have noticed your quotes on what Paul Staments has studied and that suggests that you have done some research. My question would be is, why have you waited so long to make a decision to start thinking of doing work with agar? You seem like you're serious about the hobby, why not get serious about growing?

#51 meyer

meyer

• OG VIP
  • 1,037 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:48 AM

I am very serious about growing, I have space constraints and a wife who TOLERATES each new piece I bring in. I finally got an SAB and have had a PC for a while now. I lost all my bulk grow because I didn't know you hade to make them light and fluffy, lesson learned. I lost all my recent cakes from batches 2 & 3, because I thought I could use old mix and pasteurize, another lesson learned. I don't know what makes you think I am not serious about growing. I just got some agar because I want to learn that and try to learn cloning, my problem is I second guess every decision and due to my huge losses lately both financially and large grows it hasn't helped, especially with getting laid off for Christmas.

For being a nice guy, you can say some really shitty things, I guess if you think that way, you just don't have to read or comment on my posts with that attitude. I am trying to stay positive and away from negative BS, I get enough of that in my real life. I am really trying to pick up all new things to me... I have never grown ANY of this shit! Yeah I ambitious, but who the fuck wants to grow Golden Teachers their whole life?

Edited by meyer, 01 March 2016 - 04:16 AM.

#52 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:25 AM

Well, as far as a fast grower, I have never seen that in PE, whether from an isolate or MS.  It is just typically slow, from what I have seen.

If all you could grow was Golden Teachers, it would be a pretty good life.

Don't hang your head, man, and keep on growing

• prof_it_e, Cue, Microbe and 1 other like this

#53 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,307 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:04 AM

IME you can get serious about growing and just use spores.

For the last couple of years all of my grows have been from MS.

I have space constraints

This is all the space that I have to grow in.

IMG_0462.JPG

• Microbe, snapshot706 and skunk like this

#54 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:09 AM

Hey @meyer, where you want start? Perhaps i can help. Start a thread and ask questions, i do love me some agar in the morning.
  • CatsAndBats, meyer and skunk like this

#55 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:46 AM

Hey @meyer, where you want start? Perhaps i can help. Start a thread and ask questions, i do love me some agar in the morning.

This dude is one of the three that I copy. Seriously, @microbe77 knows his shit. Here's where I started: https://mycotopia.ne...3598-agar-work/

The new thread I was suggesting, is one trying to get albinos out of b+, by any means necessary, not just agar. I'm going to try to do it through printing clusters too. Then growing them out.

• prof_it_e, meyer and skunk like this

#56 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

I had some albinos but did not print, cloned and they are somewhere with me or one of my good friends, got relaxed in my labeling believe it or not.

Some of you may have remembered torn2bits, he told me that if i did capture this mutation and stabilized it, it should also produce white spores. Now i havent pursued the albinos any further then that, nor do i know if the white spore comment is even valid. Not that he lied to me, perhaps misinformed or maybe he is very accurate.

There is a term i cant remember, it is where a mushroom is very light in color and at times white, this is more common then true albinos, and should not be mistaken as a albino.

That is more then likely what i captured, "unknown term" but none the less it is a mutation you can capture, it will be very very difficult to stabilize as most of the time the process is.

Nothing worse when you think you steralized the genetics to have them revert in later generations, i found out the hard way with my TYC and allthough grew found of them, not what it was supposed to be.
  • CatsAndBats and skunk like this

#57 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

This dude is one of the three that I copy. Seriously, @microbe77 knows his shit. Here's where I started: https://mycotopia.ne...3598-agar-work/

The new thread I was suggesting, is one trying to get albinos out of b+, by any means necessary, not just agar. I'm going to try to do it through printing clusters too. Then growing them out.
The people that really know there stuff, dont ever post anymore. Not saying everyone that is posting knows nothing, but there are some serious mycologist out there that have so much to share.

Im average but i appreciate the kudos and giving me a slight ego ;)
  • whitethumb, Cue, peacefrog and 2 others like this

#58 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

I had some albinos but did not print, cloned and they are somewhere with me or one of my good friends, got relaxed in my labeling believe it or not.

Some of you may have remembered torn2bits, he told me that if i did capture this mutation and stabilized it, it should also produce white spores. Now i havent pursued the albinos any further then that, nor do i know if the white spore comment is even valid. Not that he lied to me, perhaps misinformed or maybe he is very accurate.

There is a term i cant remember, it is where a mushroom is very light in color and at times white, this is more common then true albinos, and should not be mistaken as a albino.

That is more then likely what i captured, "unknown term" but none the less it is a mutation you can capture, it will be very very difficult to stabilize as most of the time the process is.

Nothing worse when you think you steralized the genetics to have them revert in later generations, i found out the hard way with my TYC and allthough grew found of them, not what it was supposed to be.

APE I think is a true albino, whereas the aa+ and falbino and such are leucistic? In that they don't lose ALL of their pigmentation.

That's my understanding.

aa+ prints dark as any other cube IME

Wait, did you say that you've become lax in your labeling!? I'm calling imposter! HA!

This dude is one of the three that I copy. Seriously, @microbe77 knows his shit. Here's where I started: https://mycotopia.ne...3598-agar-work/

The people that really know there stuff, dont ever post anymore. Not saying everyone that is posting knows nothing, but there are some serious mycologist out there that have so much to share.

Im average but i appreciate the kudos and giving me a slight ego ;)

This group has a different set of skills and a different knowledge base. That's all. Not many negative nellies or debbie downers right now! Optimism and encouragement go further IMHO.

I catch what yer saying though.

Edited by catattack, 01 March 2016 - 02:05 PM.

• Microbe, peacefrog and skunk like this

#59 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:16 PM

I have some APE, didnt realize it was albino. I never did anything with it yet, but i will.

#60 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:37 PM

I have some APE, didnt realize it was albino. I never did anything with it yet, but i will.

Albino Penis Envy

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!