• SteampunkScientist likes this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:24 AM

So... I have been binging on Alan Watts lectures for days now.  Rather than start a new thread every time I want to post one, I think I will make this my designated AW thread.   I do hope these attract some following.  Some people have added some eye candy to some of these.  I hope it isn't too distracting.  The audio quality isn't always the best, but then these are old recordings.  I think often these were in a classroom.  Sometimes you hear chalk on the board.  But this man, Alan Watts, can tell us about so much.  I hope we are ready for it. 

Blessings and Namasté.

Alan Watts ~ The Process Of Life

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 19 January 2016 - 12:26 AM.

• prof_it_e and SteampunkScientist like this

#4 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,852 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:54 PM

Well thanks Alder, now you got me hooked on Alan Watts, been listening to tons of his vids on YouTube last couple of days...

But then, who is it who is watching his videos, and what are videos but a concept?... Ha! Ha!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 23 January 2016 - 11:55 PM.

• SillyCone, Alder Logs and AwolMind like this

#5 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:24 PM

:wub: Alan Watts  :wub:

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:36 PM

Alan Watts: 'The I Ching'

[Direct Link]

Terence McKenna: 'Time and the I-Ching'

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 26 April 2016 - 02:39 PM.

#7 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Free Member
  • 318 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

speaking of I-Ching, I have been curious as to your avatar Alder.

Hexagram 50

What is the significance of this Hexagram to you?

edit: Both Watts & McKenna I can listen to for hours.  Not enough days in my life to suck in all that they have to offer.

Edited by sedaeng, 02 June 2016 - 05:34 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

What is the significance of this Hexagram to you?

I wrote that up recently in the Pearls Of Wisdom thread.  https://mycotopia.ne...-8#entry1275618

On edit:  I didn't have the Ting hexagram as my avatar when I posted those videos.  I had been doing a long series of avatars with the word, "Satyagraha," at the time.  I had that hexagram in an album here and just decided on it when I thought it was time to cycle.   I was actually looking for Hexagram 43, "Break-through," when I stumbled on Ting and decided to use it when I saw that I hadn't uploaded 43 yet, as I had thought.   43 is a special favorite of mine.

Break-through -- 43 is posted here:  https://mycotopia.ne...g/#entry1256342

Edited by Alder Logs, 02 June 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#9 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Free Member
  • 318 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:53 PM

46 is mine

I'll check out the link. thanks

#10 fuzzyfunguy

fuzzyfunguy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:17 PM

Love this mans philosophy!

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

#11 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,852 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:27 PM

Alan Watts was a fucking genius, there is no question about that. Yet, we read the man, for all his immense in-depth understanding of the human mind supposedly drank himself to death....

Anyone else find that highly suspect?

#12 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Free Member
  • 318 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:42 PM

No matter how people project themselves outwardly, we can never know what they are dealing with mentally.

"With Great Wisdom Comes Great Sorrow."

• Skywatcher likes this

#13 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:47 PM

Alan Watts was a fucking genius, there is no question about that. Yet, we read the man, for all his immense in-depth understanding of the human mind supposedly drank himself to death....

Anyone else find that highly suspect?

Nisargadatta Maharaj was a great realized master of consciousness, yet he, as a physical incarnation, smoked his body under. 

One time someone said to him, "you seem very attached to smoking."

Nisargadatta replied, "you seem very attached to not smoking."

Mooji says, "it is a blasphemy for anyone to say, 'I am not God'." 

God does what He wants, whatever.

Edited by Alder Logs, 04 June 2016 - 12:40 AM.

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:32 AM

"With Great Wisdom Comes Great Sorrow."

I think if it were me, I would abandon that quote.  For one thing, an honest assessment would tell me I really know nothing.  Did not Socrates come to be thought as among the wisest of men after such a confession? 

Sorrow comes and goes like everything else in time.  How can something so fleeting be thought great?   Everything will be buried in the sands. 

I take joy in knowing this moment, right now.   Joy seems well rooted in the present, ongoing.   Is this wisdom or foolishness? 

If great sorrow is felt, who feels it?  Why?  This could be a powerful inquiry.

Edited by Alder Logs, 04 June 2016 - 12:41 AM.

#15 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Free Member
  • 318 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:06 AM

I do not nor ever will pretend that .Great. Wisdom could be had by any man(in a specific context). But what I do affirm and have experienced first hand, is that the more that's revealed to me of this world's workings, as the illusions are pealed away, the greater the sorrow and sadness I hold for humanity.

I'm sure my jaded experiences from working in govt, military, war zones and intimately "knowing" how the world spins had a little something to do with my personal affinity towards this particular quote.

So without getting to philosophically in depth to each words Latin root, original language context, or intent of author, I'll have to say that it has validity to certain people who see it possibly meaning something different than that which you suggest.

#16 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:41 AM

I  woke up this morning wondering about that post I wrote last evening, how the words might come across.   Since you have been here, that quote in your signature line has been noticed and never seemed to sit comfortably, perhaps not in a mental sense, but in a deeper way.   At one very pivotal point for me, as a human being, there was a seeing of a sort of perfection, in that so much I had judged as badness or senselessness in my previous perception of the world (which I see was my world only) had been there for my benefit in awakening.   I became thankful for it all, and in this, all the sorrows lost their bases.  

My master says, "there is one planet Earth, but there are seven and a half billion worlds." 

There are so many points of perspective shared by one consciousness.   We can establish our identities at a point in the periphery of that consciousness, but it's not required limitation.   Our individual points, traveling in these bodies, are but a play of consciousness.   I now enjoy the play, even the tragic scenes.   I have no sorrows.   I aspire to no wisdom that would not have me as I am. 

• sedaeng likes this

#17 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Free Member
  • 318 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

I  woke up this morning wondering about that post I wrote last evening, how the words might come across.   Since you have been here, that quote in your signature line has been noticed and never seemed to sit comfortably, perhaps not in a mental sense, but in a deeper way.   At one very pivotal point for me, as a human being, there was a seeing of a sort of perfection, in that so much I had judged as badness or senselessness in my previous perception of the world (which I see was my world only) had been there for my benefit in awakening.   I became thankful for it all, and in this, all the sorrows lost their bases.  

My master says, "there is one planet Earth, but there are seven and a half billion worlds." 

There are so many points of perspective shared by one consciousness.   We can establish our identities at a point in the periphery of that consciousness, but it's not required limitation.   Our individual points, traveling in these bodies, are but a play of consciousness.   I now enjoy the play, even the tragic scenes.   I have no sorrows.   I aspire to no wisdom that would not have me as I am.

If the quote in my signature read "Ignorance is Bliss" would this still 'not sit well with you'?

Words, meanings, intent, can be a difficult field to navigate in life, let alone the web.  What is my truth today, what I hold onto now, might be a falsehood tomorrow and lose its meaningfulness at that juncture in the future. 

I hope I can eventually achieve this: "I became thankful for it all, and in this, all the sorrows lost their bases."

I appreciate your words and the sentiment behind them sir.  Thank you for choosing to engage me and share a bit of who you are.

Edited by sedaeng, 04 June 2016 - 11:42 AM.

#18 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

The who of you I endeavor to engage with is the very same who of whom I seek within myself.  I feel we are doing pretty well.   We won't let the words take on so much significance.   Is this not the meaning at the heart of Namasté?

I am very pleased to have met you here.

Namasté

• sedaeng likes this

#19 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,852 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

And I'm pleased to have met all of you. All good points, which is why I asked the question about Mr. Watts.

I suppose knowing all he did could certainly become a burden, one which he chose to try and forget from time to time.
  • sedaeng likes this

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

I suppose knowing all he did could certainly become a burden, one which he chose to try and forget from time to time.

I don't think it has to be that way at all.  My guess is, he liked an alcohol buzz and probably wasn't so attached to having a body for any extended length of time.  I'm not sure he took any of his 'knowledge' all that seriously, and beyond knowing, I think he pretty much got it, what he talked and wrote about.   He seemed quite a happy guy.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!