12 replies to this topic

#1 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• OG VIP
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

Anyone took the E.coli from their shit and isolated it on a petri dish?
Wondering how many if any have looked into biofuel and the different bacteria to produce biofuel.
Thermotoga neapolitana for hydrogen, Genus of Clostridiu, Rhodobacter sphaeroides, E.coli for bio diesel.
Or algea to produce biodiesel even?
  • TVCasualty likes this

#2 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• OG VIP
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

Why aren't we feeding a big cauldron of microbes with all our sewage and waste to make biodiesel?

#3 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

They do use green algae, spirolina to be specific, to filter the exhaust of diesel generators. You can eat it or use it to clean the air, I prefer the taste of raw sewage myself, but that's just my preference.

#4 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

Why aren't we feeding a big cauldron of microbes with all our sewage and waste to make biodiesel?

that makes to much sense.... lol 

come on now :P

and you can just order some enzyme or bacteria in order to make your own,, now if you wanna go the petri dish method..

im sure youd require a microscope in order to ID it properly  though..

:P 

#5 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• OG VIP
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

Completely! Its been broken down and displayed for anyone to view. You shit in a bucket the microbes in your shit break it down, wallah methane and or hydrogen.

#6 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

[Direct Link]

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

Anyone took the E.coli from their shit and isolated it on a petri dish?
Wondering how many if any have looked into biofuel and the different bacteria to produce biofuel.
Thermotoga neapolitana for hydrogen, Genus of Clostridiu, Rhodobacter sphaeroides, E.coli for bio diesel.
Or algea to produce biodiesel even?

I can't say as I have.

In fact, the idea has never occurred to me at all, not even after reading about "excrement transplants" (a real thing).

There's something looming on the near horizon that I got lucky enough to be involved in that is capable of processing plastics into a low-viscosity mix of pure hydrocarbons clean enough to sell back to industry or add a few EPA-mandated additives to and run your car on it (gasoline engine). It also works with cellulose/lignin (i.e. wood). It was designed for use with wood chips, but I nagged them into exploring it's plastic-munching potential since there's a limitless supply for the taking swirling just off the West coast (for starters).

It can process all the plastic trash we can scoop up in the oceans while making a very nice profit doing so.

As far as I can tell, it would work with sewage sludge (or animal manure) as well, and beats the crap (so to speak) out of any current biological methods of converting biomass to fuel, with the only catch being that the sewage/waste/biomass has to be dry.

My role is designing a way to harvest low-value heat (<100℃) produced by the machine and use it to dry the material before feeding it in, greatly boosting the system's overall efficiency. In the context of wood chips (a primary feedstock), I need to be able to produce 5 BDT (bone-dry tons, i.e. 0% moisture) per hour from chips starting at ~50-60% moisture content.

This thread got me thinking, and now I want to run the numbers and determining the viability of using dry sewage sludge as feedstock, which would be awesome if it worked out (manure ponds from CAFO "farms" come to mind as a worthy problem to solve, too). We'll see...

#8 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• OG VIP
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

I can't say as I have.

In fact, the idea has never occurred to me at all, not even after reading about "excrement transplants" (a real thing).

There's something looming on the near horizon that I got lucky enough to be involved in that is capable of processing plastics into a low-viscosity mix of pure hydrocarbons clean enough to sell back to industry or add a few EPA-mandated additives to and run your car on it (gasoline engine). It also works with cellulose/lignin (i.e. wood). It was designed for use with wood chips, but I nagged them into exploring it's plastic-munching potential since there's a limitless supply for the taking swirling just off the West coast (for starters).

It can process all the plastic trash we can scoop up in the oceans while making a very nice profit doing so.

As far as I can tell, it would work with sewage sludge (or animal manure) as well, and beats the crap (so to speak) out of any current biological methods of converting biomass to fuel, with the only catch being that the sewage/waste/biomass has to be dry.

My role is designing a way to harvest low-value heat (<100℃) produced by the machine and use it to dry the material before feeding it in, greatly boosting the system's overall efficiency. In the context of wood chips (a primary feedstock), I need to be able to produce 5 BDT (bone-dry tons, i.e. 0% moisture) per hour from chips starting at ~50-60% moisture content.

This thread got me thinking, and now I want to run the numbers and determining the viability of using dry sewage sludge as feedstock, which would be awesome if it worked out (manure ponds from CAFO "farms" come to mind as a worthy problem to solve, too). We'll see...

What process is that TV? I would be all for having a plastic dump in the name of making hydrocarbons lol.

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:28 AM

[Direct Link]

Well I guess that explains the "Poo Scuba" award. I'd been wondering what that was about, lol.

What process is that TV? I would be all for having a plastic dump in the name of making hydrocarbons lol.

Pyrolysis (with a twist). The primary technology is well over a century old (and has many variations in use across numerous industries) but in the context of hydrocarbons from biomass it hasn't been pursued much because it produces a high-viscosity, gooey sludge and if no further processing is done to it (and quickly!), it sets up as hard as a hockey puck and isn't useful to anyone. 

What's been patented is a unique solution to that problem, allowing the continuous production of clear, low-viscosity liquid composed of chains of hydrocarbons of varying length and that is totally free of oxygen.

A section of the wikipedia page about pyrolysis mentions the oxygen issue and how it's impossible to get it all out (a major cause of problems with the technology), but it's only referring to existing methods. In fact, most of the "exhaust" from the machine is pure O2.

The unique twist that makes it possible is so elegantly simple and efficient that to describe it any further would violate the NDA I had to sign.

Edited by TVCasualty, 24 January 2016 - 10:30 AM.

• riseabovethought and Il19z8rn4li1 like this

#10 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:22 PM

[Direct Link]

Well I guess that explains the "Poo Scuba" award. I'd been wondering what that was about, lol.

you soaked on your jankem hit for a whole day for that come back eh?  lol this guy :P 

seriously though, I think its just an inside joke on/about me. I have no idea what it is about....

I dont know shit and I never say I do, I actually say the opposite all the time and tell people to take

me with a monster grain of salt, and double check anything I say before taking any

steps forward with anything, you know.. be and take responsibility for ones own know :)

But thats fine though, because

I already know im a floater, im that turd you just cant flush, keeps popping back up lol HAHAHAH

OP-

Thats pretty neat that process is carbon negative, those are the kinda wastes/exhausts we 

need

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 24 January 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#11 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• OG VIP
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:03 AM

Damn I have some reading to do.
E. Coli isolated and grown out on formate and glucose produce h2 efficiently.
Also have been looking into high ouput energy sources but that's not appropriate for the open boards(same premise as this thread tho.)

#12 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,220 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:03 PM

Poo Scuba Awards are awarded for demonstrating knowledge of soil ecosystems consisting of microbes and fungi

and their harmonious relationships leading toward gardening success, thriving plant growth, and homeostasis promotion. 

I like how he steps back and sees the big picture- the field, the pond, the trees, & the many interconnected lifeforms systems.

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 25 January 2016 - 05:02 PM.

• TVCasualty, ernestro, Il19z8rn4li1 and 1 other like this

#13 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

Poo Scuba Awards are awarded for demonstrating knowledge of soil ecosystems consisting of microbes and fungi

and their harmonious relationships leading toward gardening success, thriving plant growth, and homeostasis promotion. 

I like how he steps back and sees the big picture- the field, the pond, the trees, & the many interconnected lifeforms systems.

[Direct Link]

I some times think we share wave lengths quite often.

I was going to bring up the POOP transplant but refrained, just because.... lol

(there is a someone very close to me in my life that performs these procedures with 

doctors on a weekly basis, its not that fringe anymore lol, its a very common practice now.

Best part, it works... lol, bacteria i tell ya)

Ive thought about looking into selling my shit for these procedures lol.

I heard it pays good :P

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 26 January 2016 - 03:47 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!