Ok, so this has been a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time coming. BUT we're near. REAL near. Like. I'm having arguments with the fucking bot near. k? :)
In all seriousness. We're close. This is a first run attempt that will be "living and breathing" for a while as we change things around and settle into what works for this community. The capabilities that we now have at our disposal surmount to nothing more than futuristic 2016 wizardry. For realz.
Moving along. This new chat will soon replace the old chat and take it's place among the ranks of Mycotopia fame. If pushing boundaries makes you famous then we should be doing well. Similar to the old chat, this new chat will be for VIP members only. As it's not a zero sum game for us to offer such technological black magic, we have tiered the chat system as follows. (keep in mind this is fluid for now)
- OG VIP and Honorary Former Staff will have access to the most basic feature set. These spaces are limited and will be first come first served. Former staff will take precedence. The number of spaces available are limited, but not fixed: we will do our best to ensure as many people that request access receive it.
- Basic features include group Chat in one channel: #all-community
- Direct Messaging. Limited to those also in #all-community
- File Sharing/Attachments for Chat and Direct Messaging.
- Extensive Emoji
- Message Formatting
- @Mention users even if offline
- Formidable Searching and Tagging
- Slackbot Help (if you can call it that, still learning)
- Customizable Notifications
- Keyboard Shortcuts and /commands
- Pin, Star, and Share Files
- Web Browser, Mobile, Desktop apps - Apple, Android, OSX, Windows, Linux
- GOLD VIP will have access to all the above in addition to the below:
- Expanded MycoChat access to #randomness and a growing number of public channels.
- Can Direct Message with anyone in the MycoChat system who are members of any of these channels.
- Can be invited to other public channels
- BLACK VIP will have the above and:
- Full MycoChat access. This includes the ability to join as many public channels as is available.
- Full Public Channel List.
- Full Team Member access - can Direct Message with anyone in the MycoChat system.
- Access to custom integrations and /slash commands.
- /giphy [word(s)] - Matches words and displays a random related animated gif
- /poncho (/weather) [zip code] - Displays a customized weather report for chosen location
- /scatterdot-create - Allows you to upload an image and select a spot - which then red-dot marks it, make a comment, and then it gets posted in the channel for others to discuss. Use Case: Pointing out specific parts of a picture to help diagnose issues
- More Coming Soon!
- Create New Public Channels (pending)
There is one item of personal security to note. This is an invite only system and you will be invited by the email address with which you signed up for your Mycotopia account. It is important that this is up-to-date anyway, but doubly so for this. To work you will need to accept an invitation via email, and sign up for a 3rd-party service. Unfortunately this is not an option at this time if you would like to participate in the MycoChat experience.
- It is recommended that you use the same username and password as you do for the Forums at mycotopia.net
- It it recommended that you use the same avatar that you use on the Forums so your friends may find you.
To polish off the bit about personal security and email accounts: The email address from which you're invited will be visible via the account profile within MycoChat. This is not something we can disable at this time. It will only be visible to those using the chat system and also have a shared channel with you.
Assuming you're into protecting the details of such, as you cannot see this information on the board, then we assume you're using a safe address. If this is of little concern to you, then no worries about this.
Messages in all public channels are available for 24-hours after their posting, after which they are purged. All messages are viewable only by those members in the appropriate VIP groups. File attachments remain for 30-days. Generally, this is a private, invite-only system.
The Premium Membership Packages are still being assembled and the final touches on training, mods, etc are being put into place. We'll make another announcement soon and open this puppy up!
We have put a lot of thought, research, and testing into this new system and we think you'll love it. The very few, and soon to be addressed, cons simply do not outweigh the mega-benefit this service brings to our community. So thanks for pushing and staying true, and so here, the fruits of your labor.
Welcome to MycoChat.