111 replies to this topic

#1 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

Ok, so this has been a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time coming. BUT we're near. REAL near. Like. I'm having arguments with the fucking bot near. k? :)

6Dy2q52.png

In all seriousness. We're close. This is a first run attempt that will be "living and breathing" for a while as we change things around and settle into what works for this community. The capabilities that we now have at our disposal surmount to nothing more than futuristic 2016 wizardry. For realz.

Moving along. This new chat will soon replace the old chat and take it's place among the ranks of Mycotopia fame. If pushing boundaries makes you famous then we should be doing well. Similar to the old chat, this new chat will be for VIP members only. As it's not a zero sum game for us to offer such technological black magic, we have tiered the chat system as follows. (keep in mind this is fluid for now)

• OG VIP and Honorary Former Staff will have access to the most basic feature set. These spaces are limited and will be first come first served. Former staff will take precedence. The number of spaces available are limited, but not fixed: we will do our best to ensure as many people that request access receive it.
    • Basic features include group Chat in one channel: #all-community
    • Direct Messaging. Limited to those also in #all-community
    • File Sharing/Attachments for Chat and Direct Messaging.
    • Extensive Emoji
    • Message Formatting
    • @Mention users even if offline
    • Formidable Searching and Tagging
    • Slackbot Help (if you can call it that, still learning)
    • Customizable Notifications
    • Keyboard Shortcuts and /commands
    • Pin, Star, and Share Files
    • Web Browser, Mobile, Desktop apps - Apple, Android, OSX, Windows, Linux
  • GOLD VIP will have access to all the above in addition to the below:
    • Expanded MycoChat access to #randomness and a growing number of public channels.
    • Can Direct Message with anyone in the MycoChat system who are members of any of these channels.
    • Can be invited to other public channels
  • BLACK VIP will have the above and:
    • Full MycoChat access. This includes the ability to join as many public channels as is available. 
    • Full Public Channel List.
    • Full Team Member access - can Direct Message with anyone in the MycoChat system.
    • Access to custom integrations and /slash commands.
      • /giphy [word(s)] - Matches words and displays a random related animated gif
      • /poncho (/weather) [zip code] - Displays a customized weather report for chosen location
      • /weather 
      • /scatterdot-create - Allows you to upload an image and select a spot - which then red-dot marks it, make a comment, and then it gets posted in the channel for others to discuss. Use Case: Pointing out specific parts of a picture to help diagnose issues
      • More Coming Soon!
    • Create New Public Channels (pending)

There is one item of personal security to note. This is an invite only system and you will be invited by the email address with which you signed up for your Mycotopia account. It is important that this is up-to-date anyway, but doubly so for this. To work you will need to accept an invitation via email, and sign up for a 3rd-party service. Unfortunately this is not an option at this time if you would like to participate in the MycoChat experience.

• It is recommended that you use the same username and password as you do for the Forums at mycotopia.net
  • It it recommended that you use the same avatar that you use on the Forums so your friends may find you.

To polish off the bit about personal security and email accounts: The email address from which you're invited will be visible via the account profile within MycoChat. This is not something we can disable at this time. It will only be visible to those using the chat system and also have a shared channel with you. 

Assuming you're into protecting the details of such, as you cannot see this information on the board, then we assume you're using a safe address. If this is of little concern to you, then no worries about this. :biggrin:   :victorious:

Messages in all public channels are available for 24-hours after their posting, after which they are purged. All messages are viewable only by those members in the appropriate VIP groups. File attachments remain for 30-days. Generally, this is a private, invite-only system.

The Premium Membership Packages are still being assembled and the final touches on training, mods, etc are being put into place. We'll make another announcement soon and open this puppy up!

We have put a lot of thought, research, and testing into this new system and we think you'll love it. The very few, and soon to be addressed, cons simply do not outweigh the mega-benefit this service brings to our community. So thanks for pushing and staying true, and so here, the fruits of your labor.

Welcome to MycoChat.   :meditate:

• PsyBearknot, Tenderfoot, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#2 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

So it's not ready yet? I keep trying and it only says, like always did, "please wait while the chatroom is being loaded". I usually get loaded first, then forget what i was doing.......

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• OG VIP
  • 9,881 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:50 PM

I think any publishing of my address will be the deal breaker for me.

• Cue likes this

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

A concern, but I think mine's probably linked to thousands of posts here, and who knows how deep the LEO's internet can dig up info like that if they want.

I bet even most kids nowadays can search up info using ip addresses and stuff like that.

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,881 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

My concern is not legal authorities.  It's simply keeping a clean in-box.

#6 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

I think any publishing of my address will be the deal breaker for me.

This was to alert you to sign up for a disposable or something if you feel the need. Some care about this more than others. The email address is only visible by those in chat, not the site or the forums. This is a private chat system otherwise.

@happy: we do not publish your ip or email publicly. I'm sure there are ways, but we can only be expected to be so responsible, and I think we're above and beyond honestly. Searching your IP or email should not lead you here as those are not indexable things.

I hope you all understand that we take your security and privacy seriously and with all due responsibility. With that in mind we settled on this solution as the the most robust, scalable, and secure solution available today. It's popularity affords us the benefit of a secure and frequently updated platform that spans multiple device and OS types. It's the single-most capable and secure chat system we've ever had here.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#7 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

So it's not ready yet? I keep trying and it only says, like always did, "please wait while the chatroom is being loaded". I usually get loaded first, then forget what i was doing.......

Your sarcasm has not fallen on deaf ears. ;)  I'm just excited about it. It's quite nice. A pre-announcement of sorts to get the party started as I clean up some loose ends.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#8 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,228 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

This is sounding over engineered.

All we asked for was a real chat room.

• Tenderfoot likes this

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,434 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

It may be a little over engineered and may take a minute for you to get used to it.You may like it though. Actually I am quite curious to your reaction to the new chat as you have been the squeaky wheel that has helped make this possible for the rest of us. I have had some of the same concerns as others bring up, but being able to test it for a bit now those concern are now gone. There are gonna be people that aren't gonna like chat whether it's old or new. Chat is not for everyone. For the people that do enjoy chat, this new chat is some good shit.

Edited by coorsmikey, 25 January 2016 - 02:49 PM.

• Tenderfoot likes this

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

dude, it's badass.

To be honest, I hate dislike chat rooms usually.. it's a lot of fun though

Edited by catattack, 25 January 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#11 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,302 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for all your work Zen and everyone else.

It's been great to see the chat room develope.
  • Tenderfoot and Cue like this

#12 Ares

Ares

Mycotopiate

• Site Administrator
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

If you want a secure system it has to be over engineered. This is not a bad thing. This is setup for your safety in mind. Like zen said it is invite only and messages auto delete after 24 hours. If that doesn't sell you nothing will. If you want a basic chat service it will be vulnerable for 3rd parties, LEOs, or other bad guys to read things you might not want.

That aside I use this same service currently for 3 other websites and local groups. It is super easy and works on everything. I've confirmed personally it works on android phones and tablets, PC, and Mac computer plus ipads. This is something I can not say for our current chat services. If you ever have used IRC (internet relay chat) you will be right at home. It is secure IRC on steroids. Trust me this is a good thing.
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#13 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,302 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:26 PM

It's been extreamly easy to use on my fruit phone.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#14 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,228 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

My first issue is that it sounds like others can see my email address. So I won't be accepting any invites until I find out how to set up one that is more secure than the one I'm using atm, which I'm doing  now.

The next thing that I worry about is that others can see what I was chatting about with someone else. For instance; I'm telling Catattack about the 4'x8' poster of Dani that I had blown up from one her BNL posts, and how I have it hanging over my bed. Then, the next thing you Dani pops in. Now how embarrassing is that going to be?

But I realize that you can't make everybody happy. And I do appreciate the work that went into it. Also, once it is set up I will try it out with an open mind.

#15 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

I've never used it but I've tried. When it's up and running, I'll try again. I do appreciate the effort, sorry about sarcasm, I just wait so long for everything on the internet and it's certainly not anyone's fault I chose to live where they barely have it.

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

@pastaman there's a whisper command, so unless it's a poster of @zen, I don't think it would be an issue.

Edited by catattack, 25 January 2016 - 03:56 PM.

• happy4nic8r likes this

#17 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,434 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

My first issue is that it sounds like others can see my email address. So I won't be accepting any invites until I find out how to set up one that is more secure than the one I'm using atm, which I'm doing  now.

The next thing that I worry about is that others can see what I was chatting about with someone else. For instance; I'm telling Catattack about the 4'x8' poster of Dani that I had blown up from one her BNL posts, and how I have it hanging over my bed. Then, the next thing you Dani pops in. Now how embarrassing is that going to be?

But I realize that you can't make everybody happy. And I do appreciate the work that went into it. Also, once it is set up I will try it out with an open mind.

With one click you can be in Direct Message with @catattack about whatever posters you may have and only you and The cat will see the conversation.

For everyone that is interested in joining that are concerned about their email,please go in to your profile settings and update to an anonymous or disposable email before we go live and start send out the invites. The invites that you receive will be sent to the email you have current here on Topia and will be used for your sign up. Also I wanted to point out that the new chat is an app and a link that opens up the chat room. Everyone will have to log in to chat individually. One perk is that you can stay logged in and snooze your notifications when you don't want to be disturbed. I can't wait to talk to more people in the new chat!

#18 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 8,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

With one click you can be in Direct Message with @catattack about whatever posters you may have and only you and The cat will see the conversation.

For everyone that is interested in joining that are concerned about their email,please go in to your profile settings and update to an anonymous or disposable email before we go live and start send out the invites. The invites that you receive will be sent to the email you have current here on Topia and will be used for your sign up. Also I wanted to point out that the new chat is an app and a link that opens up the chat room. Everyone will have to log in to chat individually. One perk is that you can stay logged in and snooze your notifications when you don't want to be disturbed. I can't wait to talk to more people in the new chat!

Or you can use your 'fetlife.com' info/persona like @coorsmikey I did.

• coorsmikey likes this

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,881 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:55 PM

For everyone that is interested in joining that are concerned about their email,please go in to your profile settings and update to an anonymous or disposable email before we go live and start send out the invites.

Would you believe I have never set up one of those thingies?  What's the best way and the most trusted one (I don't like to have any more to do with the G one than possible -- don't like the MS one either).  Anyone want to help a geezer?

It's been extreamly easy to use on my fruit phone.

Yeah, but I'm not a fruit and I don't have a phone.   WTF is a fruit phone?

Edited by Alder Logs, 25 January 2016 - 06:56 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#20 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,434 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

Alder try yahoo mail if you don't want to deal with G or MS. I'll let Bear answer the fruit phone question .
  • Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!