108 replies to this topic

#21 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,654 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

Hahaha...fruit = Apple = iPhone.

Not suggesting you use them...more stating for those of us that do use the technology, the chat platform works very well!

Edited by PsyBearknot, 25 January 2016 - 07:23 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

Not a bear either. 

I went to yay hoo and my Pisces inability to function when there are choices to be made prevented me from even starting.  I wonder how long I have to do this?  I've needed a dummy email forever, but never managed to get'r done.

#23 catattack

catattack

Mountain Gringo Hairball ™

• OG VIP
  • 5,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:37 PM

For everyone that is interested in joining that are concerned about their email,please go in to your profile settings and update to an anonymous or disposable email before we go live and start send out the invites.

Would you believe I have never set up one of those thingies?  What's the best way and the most trusted one (I don't like to have any more to do with the G one than possible -- don't like the MS one either).  Anyone want to help a geezer?

It's been extreamly easy to use on my fruit phone.

Yeah, but I'm not a fruit and I don't have a phone.   WTF is a fruit phone?

Seriously, I love you. I just laughed like a loon reading the above.

#24 catattack

catattack

• OG VIP
  • 5,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:37 PM

Not a bear either. 

I went to yay hoo and my Pisces inability to function when there are choices to be made prevented me from even starting.  I wonder how long I have to do this?  I've needed a dummy email forever, but never managed to get'r done.

you want me to do it?

#25 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• OG VIP
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

I just set up a new email dummy account. Thanks for the heads up on giving out our email accounts.

• MycoDani, coorsmikey, PsyBearknot and 2 others like this

#26 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,898 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:23 PM

I just set up a new email dummy account.

Our accounts aren't dummy accounts. I however can not say the same for us. :tinfoil:

Edited by Pastafarian, 25 January 2016 - 09:24 PM.

• wharfrat and catattack like this

#27 catattack

catattack

• OG VIP
  • 5,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

reminds me of this:

[Direct Link]

• wharfrat likes this

#28 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 2,704 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:35 PM

REMINDER: to all those that are just now setting up these anonymous email accounts for the new chat system. You will have to go into your profile settings here at Mycotopia and change your email before we start sending out the invites. Zen is getting real close to going live so the sooner the better to make those changes. For those of you that already have a safe addy on file, then there should be no concern or the need to do anything.
  • GadgetGuy, Cue and wharfrat like this

#29 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• OG VIP
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

Already did it mikey, thanks for the heads up. Maybe put something up in gen discussions as a sticky as well because I think a lot of people skip over the Daily Trip

• Cue and wharfrat like this

#30 catattack

catattack

• OG VIP
  • 5,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

The email thing came up day 1..

Edited by catattack, 25 January 2016 - 09:50 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#31 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,623 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

I feel a lot of people already had the email concern when they first signed up with topia, and used and alternate email.. i know some like me who don't care either way. Trust me when i say it is worth it if you like chat, or you like a place to go to get a quick question answered (like 'my PC ran outta water, can i still use it'). I know Zen worked hard to get this up and running and tried in settings not to include the email in the profile, unfortunately it was built in to the script and may change as new updates come along.

#32 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

Well, I'm non-technical and struggling to understand what yay-hoo will get into when I sign.   I saw what happens on South Park when you sign something without reading it.

Anyway, I hope we're given some kind of count-down before the switch gets thrown.  So far the time-line has been in general terms.  I don't want to be surprised.

Edited by Alder Logs, 25 January 2016 - 10:08 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#33 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

Well, I changed everything correctly I think. I think I know what comes next.

gallery_131808_1351_4769.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 25 January 2016 - 11:57 PM.

• wharfrat and Neptunechild like this

#34 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 2,704 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:10 AM

Well, I'm non-technical and struggling to understand what yay-hoo will get into when I sign. I saw what happens on South Park when you sign something without reading it.

Anyway, I hope we're given some kind of count-down before the switch gets thrown. So far the time-line has been in general terms. I don't want to be surprised.

Alder this thread is the final countdown warning, there should be no surprises for anyone that is active. I also want to remind people that the security here on Mycotopia is not changing, there is no need to worry about the email that anyone has used for their account here on Mycotopia. Only if you plan on using the new chat, the email that is used for the invite will be displayed to others that are in the chat system. For example [email protected] will be displayed under my profile and is an email I created to use on such accounts as signing on to web sites that I wish to remain anonymous. So if you get an email from Richard Cranium it is just me sending ya an email from [email protected] You might have figured out that my passport probably doesn't say Richard Cranium though many might think it should. Bottom line is we're just being as transparent as possible, and if the new chat is not your cup of tea, then so be it. Mycotopia continues on just as it is for the moment. Not major changes, just adding features to make the place a little bit better. Chat still remains a choice that one can make.

Edited by coorsmikey, 26 January 2016 - 12:13 AM.

#35 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,225 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:16 AM

Well, it looks like I am ready to chat if I decide to without giving away my prime (previously only) email address to anyone. 

#36 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,623 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:22 AM

Well, it looks like I am ready to chat if I decide to without giving away my prime (previously only) email address to anyone. 

I hope to see you in there :biggrin:

#37 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,623 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:57 AM

you can also change your email within the chat after you have been invited. which i just did. so the email that topia has is different then the chat room.. not sure if that eases any ones anxieties but thought i'd throw that out there

Edited by wharfrat, 26 January 2016 - 12:58 AM.

#38 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,623 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:31 AM

another solution for everyone is YOPmail, it is a disposable email addy, you easily create it, use it for the one time invite, then it is disposed of.. yopmail.com

Edited by wharfrat, 26 January 2016 - 01:34 AM.

• catattack likes this

#39 Sade

Sade

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:04 AM

Dizamn!
  • catattack likes this

#40 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,950 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

Another option for the terminally paranoid, http://forward.cat. You put in your real email, then  make up a new one. Confirm your real email, and now you have a fake alias that expires in a week.

Make your @forward.cat email alias, sign up to whatever you want, get the auto-confirm that's oh so popular, then no worries! Your email will auto-expire in a week. Leaving @forward.cat on the chat profile, obscuring the email you use for Mycotopia or anywhere else.

Clearly we wouldn't want you to do this on the forums as you would miss ALL the notifications that come your way, but as a stopgap temporary measure for those that wish to keep their addresses private.

I will re-iterate what's been said above:

Nothing is changing on Mycotopia.net that would modify the long-standing security status quo.

We are simply adding a new, non-integrated (at this time) chat utility application that happens to be ran by a 3rd-party. This requires you to sign up for their services just as you would for any other website. This "signup" process comes at the feet of your MycoChat invitation which will be sent out once you become a member of a qualifying Premium Membership.

Since we only have the email address you signed up to Mycotopia with on file, that will be the address your MycoChat invitation is sent to. Once you accept the invitation you will be required to sign up for an account (create username/password), and then you will be added to our private chat community.

For your ease, it is recommended to use the same username and password that you use on Mycotopia. You can, of course, use anything you want.

Once you have an account and get logged in, you will have a user profile. It is there that your email address can be seen. At this time it is not an option to remove or obscure this information. As this is a 3rd party system we do not have control over these things nor your account. If your email address is not something you want others to see, simply edit your profile and change it to something else.

The downside: If you change your email to something that doesn't exist, or to an account you never use, then you will miss out on chat notifications which are sent to you via email until/unless you install the desktop or mobile app and indicate that you would like to receive your notifications there instead of via email. So while it is possible to modify your email on your profile, please understand that you may have a degraded experience or miss out on @mention notifications unless you take the appropriate steps to mitigate. Just FYI.

So again, nothing is changing on Mycotopia.net that would modify the long-standing security status quo.

• PsyBearknot, AGAMA, catattack and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!