Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Where do YOU think mankind is headed? 10yrs | 50yrs | 100yrs..

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 prof_it_e

prof_it_e

(Pie).

• OG VIP
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:07 AM

T R U E S K I N

SYNOPSIS

True Skin – A sci-fi short set in the not too distant future where augmentation is the way of life. For Kaye, still a natural, augmenting will help him keep pace in this now hyper-paced world. However, after acquiring an off-market prototype, Kaye quickly finds himself fighting not only for his own humanity, but something much larger.

[Direct Link]

Edited by prof_it_e, 01 February 2016 - 07:08 AM.

#42 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:57 AM

I have a lot of reading to do, to catch up here. Thanks guys, I'm in the middle of a build, and trying to get it dialed in. I can't wait to smoke and go through this whole thing again!

• prof_it_e likes this

#43 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,186 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

Wow, that is essentially how I think AI is going to be...us, enhanced.
  • prof_it_e likes this

#44 prof_it_e

prof_it_e

(Pie).

• OG VIP
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

"Silicon Immortality: Downloading Consciousness into Computers" by David Eagleman (blog).

"While medicine will advance in the next half century, we are not on a crash-course for achieving immortality by curing all disease.  Bodies simply wear down with use.  We are on a crash-course, however, with technologies that let us store unthinkable amounts of data and run gargantuan simulations.  Therefore, well before we understand how brains work, we will find ourselves able to digitally copy the brain's structure and able to download the conscious mind into a computer.

If the computational hypothesis of brain function is correct, it suggests that an exact replica of your brain will hold your memories, will act and think and feel the way you do, and will experience your consciousness — irrespective of whether it's built out of biological cells, Tinkertoys, or zeros and ones.  The important part about brains, the theory goes, is not the structure, it is about the algorithms that ride on top of the structure.  So if the scaffolding that supports the algorithms is replicated — even in a different medium — then the resultant mind should be identical.  If this proves correct, it is almost certain we will soon have technologies that allow us to copy and download our brains and live forever in silica.  We will not have to die anymore.  We will instead live in virtual worlds like the Matrix.  I assume there will be markets for purchasing different kinds of afterlives, and sharing them with different people — this is future of social networking.  And once you are downloaded, you may even be able to watch the death of your outside, real-world body, in the manner that we would view an interesting movie.

Of course, this hypothesized future embeds many assumptions, the speciousness of any one of which could spill the house of cards.  The main problem is that we don't know exactly which variables are critical to capture in our hypothetical brain scan.  Presumably the important data will include the detailed connectivity of the hundreds of billions of neurons. But knowing the point-to-point circuit diagram of the brain may not be sufficient to specify its function.  The exact three-dimensional arrangement of the neurons and glia is likely to matter as well (for example, because of three-dimensional diffusion of extracellular signals).  We may further need to probe and record the strength of each of the trillions of synaptic connections.  In a still more challenging scenario, the states of individual proteins (phosphorylation states, exact spatial distribution, articulation with neighboring proteins, and so on) will need to be scanned and stored.  It should also be noted that a simulation of the central nervous system by itself may not be sufficient for a good simulation of experience: other aspects of the body may require inclusion, such as the endocrine system, which sends and receives signals from the brain.  These considerations potentially lead to billions of trillions of variables that need to be stored and emulated.

The other major technical hurdle is that the simulated brain must be able to modify itself. We need not only the pieces and parts, we also the physics of their ongoing interactions — for example, the activity of transcription factors that travel to the nucleus and cause gene expression, the dynamic changes in location and strength of the synapses, and so on. Unless your simulated experiences change the structure of your simulated brain, you will be unable to form new memories and will have no sense of the passage of time.  Under those circumstances, is there any point in immortality?

The good news is that computing power is blossoming sufficiently quickly that we are likely to make it within a half century.  And note that a simulation does not need to be run in real time in order for the simulated brain to believe it is operating in real time.  There's no doubt that whole brain emulation is an exceptionally challenging problem.  As of this moment, we have no neuroscience technologies geared toward ultra-high-resolution scanning of the sort required — and even if we did, it would take several of the world's most powerful computers to represent a few cubic millimeters of brain tissue in real time.  It's a large problem.  But assuming we haven't missed anything important in our theoretical frameworks, then we have the problem cornered and I expect to see the downloading of consciousness come to fruition in my lifetime."

#45 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,698 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:36 AM

"Silicon Immortality: Downloading Consciousness into Computers" by David Eagleman (blog).

But assuming we haven't missed anything important in our theoretical frameworks, then we have the problem cornered and I expect to see the downloading of consciousness come to fruition in my lifetime."

Nobody puts brainy in a corner! :chucks:

If the computational hypothesis of brain function is correct, it suggests that an exact replica of your brain will hold your memories, will act and think and feel the way you do, and will experience your consciousness — irrespective of whether it's built out of biological cells, Tinkertoys, or zeros and ones. 

Well, maybe...

And that's a monumentally-huge "if." Poor fella. I can't imagine what it'd be like to consider myself equivalent to an arrangement of Tinker-toys. I mean, I could probably live with being a rustic arrangement of Lincoln Logs, but Tinker-toys? Oh, the huge manatee!

The important part about brains, the theory goes, is not the structure, it is about the algorithms that ride on top of the structure.  So if the scaffolding that supports the algorithms is replicated — even in a different medium — then the resultant mind should be identical.

Sounds like an argument crafted by someone who writes algorithms for a living, lol. Funny thing about our Reality Tunnels; anything and everything can fit inside them if we apply our uniquely-human Cognitive Shoehorn of Dissonance.

And considering that neurons contain structures that operate under Quantum Mechanical principles (i.e. the "microtubules"), wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out that a fundamental aspect of consciousness involved quantum entanglement?

But "entanglement" with what? A higher-dimensional self? Other people's brains? All self-aware brains throughout the Universe? The Universe itself, since everything that everything is made of supposedly Big-Banged from a Singularity (i.e. the Great Entanglement)? All of the above?

#46 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

Isn't it amazing how far we can go with our notions of identification as thing? 

#47 prof_it_e

prof_it_e

(Pie).

• OG VIP
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:00 AM

@ The Guardian..;

"‘Bionic spine’ could enable paralyzed patients to walk using subconscious thought"

"Australian developers say mind-controlled device, which will be tested in humans next year, is the ‘holy grail’ for bionics researchers.

Australian scientists hope that a tiny device just 3cm long and a few millimeters wide will enable paralyzed patients to walk again by allowing them to control bionic limbs with the power of subconscious thought.

The new device, dubbed the “bionic spine”, is the size of a small paperclip and will be implanted in three patients at the Royal Melbourne hospital in Victoria next year. The participants will be selected from the Austin Health spinal cord unit, and will be the first humans to trial the device, which so far has only been tested in sheep.

Doctors will make a tiny cut in the neck of the patients and feed a catheter containing the bionic spine up through the blood vessels leading into the brain, until it rests on top of the motor cortex, the part of the brain where nerve impulses that initiate voluntary muscle movements come from. The catheter will then be removed, leaving the bionic spine behind.

The outside of the bionic spine is fitted with electrodes which will detect signals from the motor cortex and send them to a small device that will be implanted in the patient’s shoulder. This device will translate the signals into commands, which will be fed to the bionic limbs via bluetooth to tell them to move."

(Read More.)

"Stentrode: Moving with the power of thought"

(The University of Melbourne)

[Direct Link]

Edited by prof_it_e, 15 February 2016 - 01:11 AM.

#48 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,362 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:46 AM

the next century will show more change than all centuries before it.  mankind will begin leaving earth to become part of something so threatening and wonderful we can scarcely imagine.  it will be difficult to predict with sober thought, but with an inkling of magic we might catch glimpses of the future.

10 years:

self-driving cars

automation

universal basic income

50 years:

decline of nationalism / one world

resource based economy

government / wars are mostly history

100 years:

interaction with extraterrestrial life

unimaginable wonders and human freedom

beginning of potential immortality for the elect

physical immortality is not the blessing most would expect.  it carries a responsibility most of our souls are not ready for yet.  but we will not be alone in our development.  many will choose to die because they have some housekeeping to do and our souls still need work, and living and dying is one great way of doing this.

the first "immortal" humans will hang around 400 years or so, some longer.  some aliens have been around 150,000 years from their perspective, but your average ship-needing (for travel) alien is less than 10,000 years old, although they can make themselves slide sideways through reality and keep tabs on things that occur on timescales of many millions of years.

mantis aliens are some of the oldest which still exist primarily in physical form.  there are timeless beings which are damn near entirely made of energy but can cause physical manifestations and forms of themselves.

speaking of space travel, it turns out that the harmonies of the planets and the schumann resonance of earth play strong roles in the base oscillators of our consciousness, and when we travel far our minds tend to open up in ways we have to practice experiencing.  when near aliens, or inside their craft we are bathed in the vibrations they are comfortable with, but we feel very strange in their presence.

how do i know this?  i don't.  it's bullshit i pulled out of a hat.

=)

Edited by darci, 22 February 2016 - 05:54 AM.

• Myc, prof_it_e and CatsAndBats like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!