Mr. Miyagi

• OG VIP
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:10 AM

Plastics can be melted down and poured into what ever form you want,
Biodegradable material composted and
Metal melted down and poured into ingots for later use, ect
We should all try and move towards zero waste if we want to save this planet.

On the plastic note, you can melt down plastic and pour squares for roofing. Imagine a multicolored completely recycled roofing tiles. That would be awesome and cheap!
Two squares and you have a concrete form.
Build wooden molds to form anything with plastic,if you collect and melt enough you could make large square water reservoirs.
Possibilities are endless,
Do you guys have any ideas for recyclable plastic uses?
  • coorsmikey likes this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:15 AM

Most plastic breaks down pretty fast in sunlight.

By "breaking down," I don't mean it goes away.  Just that it gets brittle, shrinks, cracks and breaks.

Edited by Alder Logs, 27 January 2016 - 01:17 AM.

#3 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• OG VIP
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

"carbon black in concentrations of 3% or more are known to protect HDPE from the sun."
Could always put tar smeered sheet plastic underneath.

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

That made me remember over 45 years ago.  One of the members of my first hippie community had a rented cabin.  We were often broke in those days, especially in the off season (WA Coast tourist communities).  I was wintering in So. Cal. when his landlord offered some of his rent for re-roofing the cabin with a shingle idea the landlord had come up with (he was a junk and second hand dealer -- The Auction Barn).  What the shingles were was sheets of Masonite from recycled billboards, cut into shingle sizes, each pre-drilled with two nail holes.  These were dipped into heated asphalt that cured to glossy black when cool.  It all went well and the roof was soon on.  One cold evening that winter, the oil stove lit off the stove pipe and embers fell on the asphalt.  The place went up in the blink of an eye.  Sadly, just about everyone he knew had something stored with him, having as he did, a roof.  For me, it was my beautiful fiberglass canoe. 

#5 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• OG VIP
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

Wow that's crazy. Scrap the tar. I was thinking more along the lines of flat interlocking tiles with nail holes on the connecting thin lip maybe 1*1ft 3/4 in thick square tiles that are covered by bigger 4*4ft tiles with carbon to deter breakdown from the sun.
Everything would be free of course that's the only reason its worth trying.

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:50 PM

I had an old Wobbly friend, born in 1892, who had a junk yard.  He always wanted to try making shingles out of car bodies and major appliance shells, pre-drilling each and painting them with aluminum trailer roof paint before installation. 

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:56 PM

The reason I brought up plastics breaking down in sunlight yesterday was a discovery I made just yesterday.  I have a two thirds full five gallon bucket of 90 weight gear oil that gets sun hitting it only a couple hours a day.  It's in a fabric carport where I park the tractors.  Yesterday I noticed the bucket's lid had cracked clear across the middle, and that the ribs around the bucket were brittle and very easy to break with my fingers.  This is the dark blue Chevron bucket it came in, and is less than ten years old.  Now I have to find something else to put that oil in.

Edited by Alder Logs, 27 January 2016 - 12:57 PM.

#8 morfin-56

morfin-56

Mr. Miyagi

• OG VIP
  • 1,521 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

Good to know. Five gallon buckets are like 3$ with a lid you could get a new one and paint it to see if it last 20 years this time haha.

#9 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

youll have to mix the plastics with a UV stabilizer in order to get sun protection.

and even then..... that powerful UV will spend its entire time eating away at the protection.

The main issue with the UV and SUN is that if you pair UV with HEAT, which you usually always

get with sunlight, especially on BLACK/DARK plastic, it will react with the plastic even faster.

Learned this from making greenhouses, both with NON protected plastic and with protected.

I noticed that BOTH plastic would get F'ed up after X years, of course the protected one

would last easily 2x as long.

I notice that normal plastic unprotected,in a roof setting, only lasts about 2-3 yrs TOPS, maybe youll get 4-5 but

thats if you develop a means to keep your roof COOL, ie: you want a WHITE ROOF... not black... 

IMO...

recycled plastic should be utilized by turning it into carbon nano tubes. 

Look those up, its def an involved process... no there are not really any easy

non involved process dealing with recycling plastics, unless your a "earth ship" builder,

but me personally, I dont really agree with the whole "using junk for earth ships"... i

dont view it as sustainable when we have such EASIER BETTER practices at

our disposal that are sustainable, IE: hempcrete.... and Silica domes.....

Now... if you can develop some form of WHITE PAINT that has UV stabilizers in it and 

that will adhere to plastic for 10s of years.. then your business.. could paint the plastic then,

BUT ... thats a pretty intense venture to take on lol... if you have ever tried to paint plastic before,

let alone HDPE or PP or PC..... damn shit IS NOT POROUS AT ALL lol paint never sticks. 

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

I live where greenhouse sheeting lasts twice as long.  Quack!

• GadgetGuy likes this

#11 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

I live where greenhouse sheeting lasts twice as long.  Quack!

Oh i didnt want to mention that poly lol 

plug,

northerngreenhouse.com

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!