28 replies to this topic

#1 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:54 PM

Saturday of last week I had the pleasure of transferring this strain. I cased it and just tossed it in my GH. I have read that this strain is really aggressive and that's no lie......I have also seen that it sometimes looks like it is going to overlay before it spits out fruit.
It's been 4 going on 5 days now and this is what this tray is looking like now. I am hoping to see some fruits of my labor come this weekend. Upon looking at the tray it does look like I may have some hyphal knots in the works. I would love it, if any other members that have experimented with this strain to chime in with their experience with working with this strain and what to expect.
Just out of curiosity......how does this look to all of you? Any suggestions? Or advice?

IMG_20160210_193317715.jpg IMG_20160210_193339994.jpg

Edit: I should add that this was spawned to rye berries and my casing layer is a 75 / 25, coir / verm mix pasteurized for 12 mins in the microwave.

Edited by Baphom3t, 10 February 2016 - 10:06 PM.

• MLBjammer and skunk like this

#2 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:27 AM

I grew that strain on cakes several years ago.  I really liked the fruits, as I recall, but I had way too many strains going back them.  Many speak quite highly of AT, so I think you will be happy with the results.

The pics look quite healthy and rhizomorphic.  I can't see enough detail to comment on the hyphal knotting.  I like the old-school cased tray.  Just give it lots of FAE and don't mist it too much.

Good luck!

• Baphom3t likes this

#3 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:07 AM

This thread even has some information about Transkei where the strain originated.

One of the posters (Tusk) later went on to win POTM from a print that Cue sent back to South Africa.

https://mycotopia.ne...rican +transkie

Edited by Pastafarian, 11 February 2016 - 11:08 AM.

• cap'n cube, prof_it_e and Baphom3t like this

#4 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

Thanks Pasta......I believe I've read that before.....just sucks that there was only pics from someone else and not the O.P.
I would have loved seen the O.P's pics. I have seen the pics from Awakening7's grow log on AT and they looked amazing.....I'm pretty psyched about what I got going.
This morning pretty much 90% of the tray is covered, I'll be sure to get pics later today when I get a chance and post them.
MLBjammer.......I don't have to mist I got my GH pretty much dialed in and fully automated with a ultra sonic running in cycles and my FAE is done by a evaporative humidifier that runs in cycles somewhat opposite of the ultra sonic.

• MLBjammer likes this

#5 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

So......now we are at day 6 and this is what the tray is looking like now. Them pretty bumps has gotten bigger since day 4.
I tried to get some decent close ups just in case anyone sees any hyphal knots.
Day 6.1.jpg Day 6.2.jpg Day 6.3.jpg

#6 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

Here we are at day 8.......As I was misting it today, yes I actually had to mist it due to it being really dry outside and in my house.......a water drop flew out and landed on the myc and it's visible in the pic, I was all facepalm....... anyway here is what I got.
Day 8.jpg Day 8.1.jpg Day 8.2.jpg Day 8.3.jpg Day 8.4.jpg

• MLBjammer, cap'n cube, ashwath and 2 others like this

#7 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:10 AM

That's some beautifully rhizomorphic mycelium, extremely healthy.  You will see primordia very soon, probably in the next few days.

• cap'n cube, Baphom3t and skunk like this

#8 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, it's day 10 and we have lift off......I'm sick but feel like a kid in a candy store. After 9 years of not growing, I'm happy to know I still have the ability to do this. I am happy to present to you all the beginning pins that I saw earlier today.
From the looks of what the pics show my 1st flush might be pretty sweet.
Have a look......
Day 10 and pins.jpg Day 10 and pins.1.jpg Day 10 and pins.2.jpg Day 10 and pins.3.jpg

And here's a question........
When I was transferring the above spawn to the above fruiting tray......there was some extra colonized rye left in the spawn bag and I just tossed and covered it in a tupperware tray like you see in the pic I keep the lid upside down and after a couple days I saw it colonizing the sub so I been misting it off and on when I see it needs it and now it is colonizing that sub......here's a pic......
what to do.......jpg
Is it possible to allow it to continue to colonize the sub and then transfer that to a larger batch of sub?

Edited by Baphom3t, 16 February 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#9 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:28 PM

Is it possible to allow it to continue to colonize the sub and then transfer that to a larger batch of sub?

Yes.

Its called "Super Spawning".

#10 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Is it worth my time messing with?
Is there any links that you can hook me up with that may lend a hand? I understand that it is at higher risk of contam but it has not shown any signs of contam in 10 days. I just tossed the leftover in there not expecting anything, but I figured why not do a experiment, see what happens and this is what I got.
It has doubled in size the past 3 days.
I have been keeping a eye on it everyday to see if what's going on is contam but it doesn't seem to be what's going on.
I'm just curious to see if this may be a feasible idea being that most of this is roughly 75/25 sub.

#11 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:58 AM

This variety blows my fucking mind.....after 3 days practically from the sight of the first pins this tray is literally covered with pins now and the first ones are starting to elongate and get beefier. I'd like to think this is a rather decent pin set.
And no....the discoloring is not trich it looks to be bruising for what reasons I can't say.

I'd still like to know if what I got in the tupper ware container is even worth messing with as it is the same variety and from what I can see is still very aggressive.
Comments, suggestions ?
IMG_20160219_084041763_HDR.jpg

Edited by Baphom3t, 19 February 2016 - 09:00 AM.

• skunk and PurplePower79 like this

#12 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:37 PM

You could spawn it to something larger once it's completely colonized, just expanding the mycelium. I would go with something 3-5 times the volume of that chunk.

If it's not very big, it might not be worth the time.
  • Baphom3t likes this

#13 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:03 PM

@MLB.... It's still slamming away at the sub, looks nice and healthy, no visible signs of contam or bacteria, I mist when it's needed as it's not in my GH. I keep the lid upside down for some GE.
I just figured I'd try to experiment with what didn't come out of the spawn bag I used and so far...it's actually still looking nice, I'm shocked it even took off and colonized the sub.

Edited by Baphom3t, 19 February 2016 - 08:04 PM.

• MLBjammer likes this

#14 PurplePower79

PurplePower79

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:58 PM

@Baphom3t

Been following this thread. Im currently growing South African Transkei and South American(S.A).

I am doing both trays/cakes on both(my first grow so im testing which better suites me most. I guess you could say.)

Iv noticed that Transkei is a fairly quick/aggressive colonizer.

I placed a tray and cake of each of my strains and my Transkei seems to be doing the best so far! Everything in the FC is begining to knot up but the Transkei seem to be more abundance in knotting/visible knotting almost a day prior to my South American(S.A) strain. Cant wait to see the end product of your grow! As well as mine. Good luck

• Baphom3t likes this

#15 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

I would just fruit that and make 20 more!

#16 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

AT is the fastest pinner that I have ever worked.

Once fully colonized and put into fruiting conditions it pins in only 5 days.

AT pins so fast that often the second flush comes before the second flush has matured.

Clusters of 12 aren't unusual.

With later flushes expect 70-90 gram boomers, with the occasional 120 grammer.

I get caps 5" in diameter with stipes as long as my forearm.

Heavy spore producers, so don't be shy making atleast 2 prints per cap.

First printing of a large cap easily makes 400ml of MS solution.

I have yet to find a grain that AT didn't like.

• MLBjammer, Baphom3t and PurplePower79 like this

#17 skitsofrantik75

skitsofrantik75

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 276 posts

Donator

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:51 AM

Wow, I have nothing to offer this thread except wow. I've got a print coming of this and I love what I'm seeing. 70 - 90 in the immortal words of smoky, Daaaaaaaaaamn. This has made me even more anxious to get my print. Keep posting pics I like these and would like to see more.
  • Baphom3t and PurplePower79 like this

#18 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

Here we are just 2 days later and it's ba-bam. I have nothing but pure respect for the voracity of this variety. I am wanting to work on a isolate or 2 or 3 maybe 4 with the big ones that are coming out......and gawd damn are they coming out, it's gonna be hard to choose the ones to try it with. It also looks like a have a mutant in the mix. I'll call it "fuzzy nipple".
I'm actually trying to figure out my best bet on getting such massive clusters out......I normally would do just the simple twist and pull.....but I don't want to be pulling out the future flushes., hell, I'm not even sure if I will be able to do any dunking of any kind.....they just keep going.
This variety is truly amazing. Compare 2 days ago to the pics I have from today. :wink:
IMG_20160221_130236299.jpg IMG_20160221_130250921.jpg IMG_20160221_130308607.jpg

• MLBjammer, prof_it_e, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#19 prof_it_e

prof_it_e

(Pie).

• OG VIP
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:46 AM

I live about a 4hr drive away from the Transkei. This thread got me wanting to play with AT's and thanks to a generous Mycotopia member I will get to do that soon enough (and thanks to Baphom3t for the grow log ~ nice!).

Edited by prof_it_e, 22 February 2016 - 05:47 AM.

• Baphom3t and skunk like this

#20 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Blackstar

• VIP
  • 865 posts

Donator

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:58 PM

Taa daa !!!!!! Somewhat a first flush harvest i suppose........A couple days ago I noticed some caps were bout to open.....today, I walked in the GR and saw I had opened caps.....but thought....strange though because these are itty bitty guys opened and well.
I have a ocean of them in the tray still coming out but I am truly curious as to why they.....the ones I snagged are / would be the size they are when perimeters are good......maybe genetics.....possibly.....maybe ?????
Temps are ok....RH are pretty much spot on......I'm kinda at a loss as to why they would be as small as they are.
Have a look................
IMG_20160224_221929693_HDR.jpg
But here is what was left after this little harvest.......I'm keeping my eye on the big patch of white to make sure it isn't trich but day 3 and it's still ok.....there's even a few mush coming out of it !!!!!
IMG_20160224_224154771.jpg IMG_20160224_224203069.jpg IMG_20160224_224217757.jpg IMG_20160224_224227000.jpg
Any ideas as to what could be causing the small fruit?
Maybe the first fruits are just small and subsequent fruits will be bigger ?????
I'm ridin' this bad boy to the end........any suggestions?

Edited by Baphom3t, 24 February 2016 - 11:07 PM.

• prof_it_e and skunk like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!