7 replies to this topic

#1 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 794 posts

Donator

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

Okay....So I've been trying to get my hard neck garlic to stay alive. They start out really really good and then take a nose dive after about 3 weeks and seem to die.
I got them in a pot deep enough and they are inside facing a south window that gets butt loads of sun. I water them once a week along with the rest of my plants.
All the green shoots have browned....what could be the issue causing them to do this?

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,099 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:27 PM

I always plant my garlic in the fall so it will sprout in the spring, so maybe it has to do with hardening over the winter.
  • dpwishy and Juthro like this

#3 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

Okay....So I've been trying to get my hard neck garlic to stay alive. They start out really really good and then take a nose dive after about 3 weeks and seem to die.
I got them in a pot deep enough and they are inside facing a south window that gets butt loads of sun. I water them once a week along with the rest of my plants.
All the green shoots have browned....what could be the issue causing them to do this?

I got a plants and soils degree,
and in doing so planted many acres of galic in classes, 
its a big crop where I live.

Garlic needs to go through vernalization 

ver·nal·i·za·tion

ˌvərnl-əˈzāSHən/Submit
noun

the cooling of seed during germination in order to accelerate flowering when it is planted.

The same process tulips need to go under.
This means they are planted in October (fall),
need the cool months and the winter for vernalization,
then grow in the spring and are harvested late spring/early summer.
This needs to be done about 6 weeks before the first frost.

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

Edited by dpwishy, 20 February 2016 - 06:33 PM.

• coorsmikey, Baphom3t, Juthro and 2 others like this

#4 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:20 PM

Btw,
One of those soils teachers I had, gave an extra credit lab where the student would grow a tulip. I am pretty sure the bulb only needed about 4-6 weeks inside a fridge before it came out to flower inside. It def could be done within a semester as the flowered plant was the proof of the extra credit.  I dont think you need the same periods as naturally, meaning 6 months. If you took a single clove, planted it in the soil with the top going up and put it in the fridge for a similar time as the tulip, I am sure you will get better results in creating a full root inside.

But I must add, part of the advantage of garlic is the nature in which it grows. Around here, you plant it in October, leave it until spring and its basically a weed at the end. Its one of those crops that other than watering and if you have decent soil conditions, you kind of just let it be. You dont really mess with it. Set it and forget it type thing. It has many advantages outside in that aspect and not so much inside.

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

Edited by dpwishy, 20 February 2016 - 09:20 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#5 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 794 posts

Donator

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

I'm not growing from seed.....I'm growing from a clove off the bulb that has shot off the clove. It is inside my house.....so would I need to still have vernalization for it to stay vigorous?

#6 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,336 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:42 PM

Its the same..
I believe very rarely if ever garlic is grown from actual seed

#7 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

I'm not growing from seed.....I'm growing from a clove off the bulb that has shot off the clove. It is inside my house.....so would I need to still have vernalization for it to stay vigorous?

Yes, you want to let them experience the cold period.

I grow about 10 gallons worth of garlic a year for personal consumption, bartering and gifting

I've planted in early spring time before and they just dont do as good compared to fall planting. 

Its the same..
I believe very rarely if ever garlic is grown from actual seed

I plant a lot of garlic from the seed heads, the tops of the garlic if you dont cut

off the scapes. 

I just use those seeds for wood line wild garlic planting, i toss them EVERYWHERE,

garlic is good and its great for beneficial insects and pest bugs dont care

for it to much.

I've never really paid attention how long I had my seed in a cold period... but

from what I have noticed, if you plant from garlic seeds, it takes 2 years for that

seeds to grow into a bulb.

The first year it will grow into like an onion set, or "garlic set" .

then they bulb out the 2nd year.

BUT like I said... maybe i just kept missing the correct amount of time for the cold period

and they just grew one year then over wintered and grew again

wishy will probably be able to add more clarity

• Baphom3t likes this

#8 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

we never start from seed here, as mentioned above you are talking years and its completely nonviable on a farm profit wise. A single clove is transplanted and will form a new bulb. The only thing that really matters is making sure that up is up (clove orientation wise). If you want to flower like this indoor, you need to put it in a pot, in soil, and put it in the fridge for at least a month. Take it out and then flower and you will have better results. This has nothing to due with starting from seed, just as a tulip starts with bulbs and needs vernalization, so does garlic.

in divine friendship,

your brother,

-wishy

Edited by dpwishy, 22 February 2016 - 04:02 PM.

• Juthro and like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!