• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jrotten

Jrotten

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:51 AM

Howdy, I'm just browsing the board a bit deeper looking to see what's here. In addition to my fungi interest, I like to lift. It's kind of two ends of the same spectrum for me. Lifting has very clarifying effect on me mentally and emotionally. Helps to drown out the noise of life.

What are some of your physical interests? Yoga, running, swimming, etc?

Edited by Jrotten, 22 February 2016 - 05:12 AM.

• Heirloom , Neptunechild and niemandgeist like this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This fucking guy.

• OG VIP
  • 10,898 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

I wore a pedometer the other day and I clocked 5 miles, inside. 

Oddly enough, I choose walking as my favorite. Urban walks or hiking with my baby in the woods hunting turkey tail and deer dung.

• Heirloom likes this

#3 Jrotten

Jrotten

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

I recently found out there are some decent hiking trails near me. It was a lot of fun. I would really like to find a place to row as well but the area just isn't suited for that.

#4 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,270 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:57 AM

deleted by user

Edited by Pastafarian, 22 February 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#5 Jrotten

Jrotten

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

^shor term hobby!

#6 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,570 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

Tai Chi, martial arts exercises, walks in the woods or along the rivers and streams, riding horses , walking the dogs.

Any physical activity is healthy helps the body and mind.

I used to walk for hours to think and calm my mind, to deal with all kinds of  "worldly modern problems"

I have avoided most of the world so I no longer suffer from the mental health issues that go with modern society. I feel like despite all ,I am in a good place and fairly happy.

physical movement is needed

I have often said "I have no place in the Human race " yet I find others to talk with who maybe living outside the human race we are stuck in

• Jrotten likes this

#7 Jrotten

Jrotten

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:35 PM

Tai Chi, martial arts exercises, walks in the woods or along the rivers and streams, riding horses , walking the dogs.

Any physical activity is healthy helps the body and mind.

I used to walk for hours to think and calm my mind, to deal with all kinds of  "worldly modern problems"

I have avoided most of the world so I no longer suffer from the mental health issues that go with modern society. I feel like despite all ,I am in a good place and fairly happy.

physical movement is needed

I have often said "I have no place in the Human race " yet I find others to talk with who maybe living outside the human race we are stuck in

For a very long time I had a mistaken idea that the mind was the mind and the body was the body and aside from a control mechanism the two were unrelated.  What I found when I began lifting again after a 20 year absence from anything except work and sex for exercise is that mind and body are so deeply connected it's impossible to care for one without regard to the other.  I came to believe that we have evolved so that mental health is in large part dependent on using the body the way it was meant to.  Granted in modern life and society it's not a perfect fit, but lifting 3 days a week is just right to allow my body to recover, while making my mind and body work together.  When the weight is enough that you could be hurt or killed it activates parts of the mind that need excercising.  Maybe it's not a wild animal attacking me, but it still requires focus and exertion beyond what I even feel capable of when I walk in off the street.  Then I found out that in order for the body to work at it's peak, you have to train your mind to control your motion.  It revolutionized my life.  I'm not longer as prone to anger, anxiety, depression, etc that I once was.  As I get older I would really like to learn something about yoga.  I no longer try to compartmentalize myself.

#8 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 672 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

Namaste

Jaromir Jagr was my idol for a very very long time and he is still a person I admire for his talent (Czech ice hockey legend). I'm a ice hockey freak I spent many hours on the ice in winter. But except for that, I'm a very lazy bastard and I have a profession that takes much of my energy; the rest I spend in my garden and with my friends, without much physical effort. Except we're at a festival or something :).

I ride my bicycle a lot and I also work out 3 times per week to keep myself in shape, as I don't admire any sports. I swim every single day from spring to autumn, one of many great aspects of my work-place is the fact that it's directly at the lake !

Greetings

Edited by Neptunechild, 22 February 2016 - 01:52 PM.

• skunk likes this

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 11,712 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

My master likes sports because they are one way we act without thought.  That is, thought in the sense of identity.  Like the archer becoming the bow, the arrow, and the target, being one with the action, fully present.   As a disc golfer, a thought of my score, should I make this birdie...  You can guess how this turns out. 

• Jrotten likes this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,079 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:59 PM

As a disc golfer, a thought of my score, should I make this birdie...  You can guess how this turns out.

Maybe like this?
cavedrawings.jpg
  • Alder Logs likes this

#11 Jrotten

Jrotten

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

My master likes sports because they are one way we act without thought.  That is, thought in the sense of identity.  Like the archer becoming the bow, the arrow, and the target, being one with the action, fully present.   As a disc golfer, a thought of my score, should I make this birdie...  You can guess how this turns out. 

Very nicely put.  The immediate AWARENESS and BEING without the clutter of thoughts.  Perfectly stated.

• Alder Logs likes this

#12 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,685 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:02 PM

I used to be all about lifting on and off (do it for 6 months, a year, 2 years, then stop for years, rinse and recycle) for about 10 years.

Then I discovered progressive calisthenics (bodyweight exercise).

Now I'm all about stuff like wall-supported headstand/handstand push ups, one-arm push ups, stuff like that.

The only weight I lift is when I do my weighted parallel bar dips and chin ups. Oh, and I do like deadlifting/squatting odd objects at my job or around in general.

I like sprinting up hills, power walking, sometimes jogging/running.

Went out to a park I hadn't been to in years recently just yesterday. Lots of fallen logs/big giant trees that were high up (as high as I am from the ground) and balanced across them (I like balancing stuff, too.) Ah, and there was a huge group of college-aged women wearing tight pants and shorts to go jogging which was also kind of nice I guess.

To be honest I probably paid more attention to the mushrooms out in the woods than to the ladies. Found some Chicken of the Woods that were dead/moldy but now I know where to look in the future for food!

We should all do what we love, but once I discovered what is possible without needing to be tied down to one location or to equipment (with weights) and commuting, waiting to use shit, or paying money, I just fell in love and haven't fallen out of love with this kind of exercise for many years now.

I don't like doing free-standing handstands, but I do enjoy doing free-standing stuff like crow/frog pose handbalancing now and again. I don't mind using a wall/pole/street sign/fence/tree for balancing.

I also very much enjoy dancing and using wooden dowels/broom handles/etc. for baton twirling/tricking/self-expression.

I dunno. I just like figuring out how to use what the F--- I have around me to get a good workout in and just have fun while exercising. I prefer to do stuff that only involves my own body and changing leverage, tempo, and whatnot, but hey... Weights are a cool tool and I can use the old barbell plates and dip belt I have as well as using stones (stone-carrying is fun especially uphill!) and other crap laying around to work out.

The world is my gym I guess.

I dunno... I just... Can't go back to weights and to the gym after figuring this stuff out, but we're all different so we all gotta do what we love you know?

• Jrotten likes this

#13 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,377 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:55 PM

My physical activities other than gardening would have to be...

Free Diving & Spear Fishing. Nothing beats the quite and stillNess as your stalking the underwater depths on a single breath. We do travel a lot to get some good spearfishing in, being landlocked. I much prefer ocean/reef diving. But we do a lot if cold water river and lake diving where I'm from. We start up in may with a 8mm full suit and dive until September/October the latest. We do go to the pool all throughout the winter months to keep in shape. Unfortunately the pool doesn't let me practice free diving exercises for liability reasons :(

cda39bc2e627a4d8a4de68acb3d5ca20.jpg
445d6be6aaedf89e003f12c5c8b49e63.jpg
d498211c2e4b5e0080515a8abd27a5f1.jpg

Other than those I'm a creature of the Shop come fall & winter time...I love building off road Toys and street cars. I'm just a back yardagin doing it for fun and games. But most of the time it helps relieve stress. This is mostly a winter gig, come spring/summer it's time to thrash what you have built! So we love off roading and adventuring off into the mountains with the toys, be it jeep/quad or sleds.
73f864f842fb680bb30b5ef54ad0010f.jpg
7d792bc1e46925824e873dbdf8ecd2e4.jpg
30b4e7c1459846b9c3f274667e9ad33e.jpg

We also like to go hiking and adventuring as a family. Something that gets my juices flowing is caving. I love crawling through tight places to see what's waiting for me through the next squeeze. The better half is a little scared if the caves but let's me and the kidlets adventure into them. I usually Do a pre-scout trip with a buddy b4 we allow the the kids to come along. And we only allow them into certain places. For safety reasons.

We have a lot of cave systems tucked away in the lime stone mountains that are a hop skip and a jump away and also a lot of abandoned adits and mine sites. Which can be very interesting to explore but some are very dangerous (we have found boxes of nitro) left from whe they abandoned the sites. definitely something to stay clear of.
7e9597c54b7e7e8d663105b16bca5a90.jpg
a3b4d8ec95fe0df3e3aed0dbda1fcc9a.jpg
0826a4fca286662457798ebc621e4668.jpg

Gotta say I love my Hunting & shooting as well ...
371caf0db1e5975aeda01cb14d86310b.jpg
219261f81225e6c268dec46dba079e8b.jpg
60c71a7ffac6be9c0486d52b4b14b560.jpg

Anything to keep the mind, body and family active!

SkunK
  • Juthro, niemandgeist, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#14 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,038 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

Hiking and sex. Been doing a lot of hiking.....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!