#1 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 642 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

I am limited to bench space and budget for a commercial hood so I have done my homework and ordered parts to make a custom vertical flow hood. Is there anyone out there using a flow hood with a UV light for exta sterilization? I have read mixed reviews on using this type of light and before I spend the extra bucks for one I was looking for any personal reviews. Any thoughts or input are greatly appreciated.....
  • MLBjammer and Heirloom Spores like this

#2 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 4,898 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

UV lights work great for sterilization.

They are very expensive and the bulbs require frequent replacement in order to maintain maximum operating results.

Exposure to the UV sterilizer can be quite hazardous. Care will need to be taken to minimize the risk of exposure.

Unless you're planning a commercial effort, the UV light is likely overkill. 

• MLBjammer, riseabovethought, Needles and 2 others like this

#3 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 642 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:47 AM

This safe box will be used mainly for just cultures. I have read all sorts of reports, one being a lab tech left the UV light on while working in the flow hood and received burns. Although talking with a microbiology instructor the other day, she swears by them and highly recommends using one. The more I read and think about it the more I have to agree with you Myc, just plane overkill when a bottle of isopropyl alcohol is only a couple of dollars.

• MLBjammer likes this

#4 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Invitro Freak

• 8,795 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

Somebody here used a hand-held UV light to sterilize print bags and such, but that was years ago.

The bulbs are very expensive, as mentioned.  But if you have deep pockets, it is a good method.

• riseabovethought likes this

#5 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practice

• OG VIP
  • 2,894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

Could uv sterilization be used to sterilize grain for bulk, eliminating the of a PC.?

#6 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 4,898 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

Here's a discussion:

https://mycotopia.ne...ht-and-shrooms/

I can't seem to find the thread that this belongs to but you're right, it's been done.

post-16287-13818627781_thumb.jpg

It's kinda driving me nuts. I remember the build thread but I can't find the damn thing. I remember it being somewhere around 2007-'08...........

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#7 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 642 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

Could uv sterilization be used to sterilize grain for bulk, eliminating the of a PC.?

From what I read even if a microbe was under a spec of dust it could escape with no harm from the UV light. So the grains in the middle of the jar would be unaffected as well.

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,561 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

These links might be helpful:

https://mycotopia.ne...-uv-light-wand/

https://mycotopia.ne...ation/?p=707040

https://mycotopia.ne...area/?p=1231469

I refer to them as UV-A lights in this thread, but put a correction a few posts further down (the germicidal lamps are UV-C, not A): https://mycotopia.ne...izer/?p=1228083

#9 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,270 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:33 PM

I refer to them as UV-A lights in this thread, but put a correction a few posts further down (the germicidal lamps are UV-C, not A): https://mycotopia.ne...izer/?p=1228083

I chuckled when you mentioned the yellow pages in the first thread. Good info tho thanks for stearing us in the right direction...
  • Microbe likes this

#10 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practice

• OG VIP
  • 2,894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:47 PM

I thought about all the problems of sterilizing grain with uv -c and figured a pc would be easier. I initially thought of cooking the grain ,spreading it out so every kernel would be exposed, but it would be so bulky in a sab that it would be more trouble than its worth.

I bet it would work for agar plates and might be able to resterilize  plastic petri dishes.

#11 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,270 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:54 PM

I thought about all the problems of sterilizing grain with uv -c and figured a pc would be easier. I initially thought of cooking the grain ,spreading it out so every kernel would be exposed, but it would be so bulky in a sab that it would be more trouble than its worth.
I bet it would work for agar plates and might be able to resterilize  plastic petri dishes.

Im not sure what gamma radiation is but most plastics like plates say that is whats used to sterilize them..
Is UV radiation the same you think?

#12 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practice

• OG VIP
  • 2,894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

No gamma and uv c are different, didn't know they used gamma to sterilized plastic plates with.

• invisibilitysyndrome likes this

#13 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,270 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

No gamma and uv c are different, didn't know they used gamma to sterilized plastic plates with.

Cobalt 60 gamma radiation i believe is the technical term. Im prety sure my disposable scalpels are done w the same....

On a fundamental level are they even close to being similar? If that question even makes sense..
I guess probably not tho i spose uv needs to be on all parts no shadow where gamma is steralizing regardless of the shadow.. am i close?

Edited by invisibilitysyndrome, 27 February 2016 - 09:24 PM.

#14 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practice

• OG VIP
  • 2,894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:41 PM

I think you got it gamma radiation goes though nearly anything. I am sure the average guy can not buy it for sterilizing at home since cobalt 60 is radioactive. I hope they don't just let anybody have it.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 27 February 2016 - 09:43 PM.

• LordRigel likes this

#15 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,270 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

I think you got it gamma radiation goes though nearly anything. I am sure the average guy can not buy it for sterilizing at home since cobalt 60 is radioactive. I hope they don't just let anybody have it.

Yes i would hope not.

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,561 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:15 AM

I chuckled when you mentioned the yellow pages in the first thread. Good info tho thanks for stearing us in the right direction...

Yeah, way back in the olden days of 2007 there were still a few people using the Yellow Pages to find stuff and at the time I was a big fan of using Scroogle (the "google-scraper") for online searches and avoiding direct contact with google (or any mention of them if it could be avoided). Scroogle was a site put up by some guy where you could submit a query and it would then google it for you and return a list of results "scraped" of all ads and sponsored links while preventing google from compiling your search history.

Google crushed 'em some years back, probably because the guy was also detailing the backgrounds of the key players who ran (and founded!) the company (most apparently came from the DoD, private Defense contractors, or intelligence agencies. According to him, google was not created by some precociously-brilliant coders who got lucky like its Creation Myth would have us believe). His data was compelling, but is way beyond my ability to verify or refute, so take it with a grain of salt. I still avoid direct contact w/ google (lots of good reasons for that) and nowadays I use Disconnect to achieve the same result.

But I digress...

In that first link, I suggested adding a "snap-cat" to a UV system to boost its efficacy, but had totally forgotten what the hell a "snap-cat" was. Took me a minute, but I tracked it down after wading through a bunch of sites dedicated to taking photos of cats.

The "snap-cats" turn a regular UV sterilizer into a PCO (photocatalytic-oxidation) "filter" (it doesn't trap anything like a conventional filter, it destroys the offending particles at the molecular level similar to an ionizer but without filling the room with ozone): http://www.purifier....ating-p-95.html

UV only works when it can directly irradiate a microbe or spore with enough UV-C for a long enough time to either kill it outright or prevent it from replicating. Dust particles floating in the air have plenty of nooks and crannies for spores to hide in (shaded from the UV light) so there'd be no way to effectively sterilize substrates this way (and for that matter you wouldn't even be able to effectively sterilize the surface of grains with UV, much less the interior).

UV might be able to re-sterilize clean petri dishes (once, if that), though it also tends to be very rough on plastic. Worth a try, I suppose, but watch out for the plastic turning very brittle and/or 'crazing' (which in a worst-case scenario could lead to a colossal bummer, e.g. if a good culture were lost due to a dish breaking just from picking it up). And be sure to design your irradiation chamber (a cardboard box lined with foil would work) so that there is no way you can accidentally open it with the light on (put a safety kill-switch on it so that opening it cuts power to the light).

Gamma radiation is of the high-energy penetrating variety (like X-rays on steroids) and is ionizing, but not as ionizing as alpha or beta particles, so it's the last thing you want in your house (even after the police!) as it shreds DNA on contact (as it passes through you, so it ain't just causing skin cancer). So it either kills you quickly from acute radiation poisoning or slowly via cancer (depends on exposure level). You'd need a lot of lead shielding to use gamma radiation at home, and becoming the Incredible Hulk seems unlikely so it's a risk best avoided (not that we can just go buy a gamma-sterilizer if we wanted, but you never know what you'll find for sale while browsing the Dark Net).

Incidentally, it's a bad idea to try to stow away in shipping containers or trucks to get into the U.S. since we've been deploying more gamma-scanners that can 'see' through them to detect contraband (or people) being smuggled. The problem with detecting people is that when they've been detected, they've also been irradiated!

Edited by TVCasualty, 28 February 2016 - 10:16 AM.

• riseabovethought, Needles, invisibilitysyndrome and 2 others like this

#17 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,270 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:00 PM

@TVcasualty dude your like a fountain.
More and more good info.
The hulk is about the only reference to gamma i have so deff enlightening.
Deff interesting about the uv and plastics too.

Ive used my fair share of yellow pages, beepers and pay phones for that matter too, its weird to think those days are at this point absolutely over...
@needles apologies if you feel hijacked.
Its been a good read so far tho ...cheers
  • TVCasualty and Needles like this

#18 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 642 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

Lot of good information here no matter who is bringing it. I'm thankful for any extra advice or knowledge that has been shared. For now I think I am just using a florescent bulb and practicing proper sterile techniques but I'm leaving a extra switch for a UV light if I decide to add it later.

Like I said to start, I am very limited to working space. There is a corner in my office that was kind of wasted. That is where my new flow hood is going. Cutting the 45 degree cuts was a pain but this thing is fitting nicely. The shell is done, but I still have a long way to go. Thought I would post a photo if anyone is interested.

Attached Thumbnails

• D3T_8654.jpg
  • D3T_8656.jpg

• invisibilitysyndrome likes this

#19 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 642 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:30 PM

Well I was able to get the filter, fans and stainless mounted and the rest of the inside skinned. I was doing a little more studying on uv wavelength light. One of the universities had a auction on a EPROM UV eraser. I was intrigued with the fact that it used UV light to erase data on a memory storage device. So I started studying, the wavelength of UV recommended for the eraser is around 265nm. That would be the high end of the spectrum of UVc that is 100-300nm used for bacterium. There was no interest in this item by other bidders so I was able to get it for $25. So I figured it would be worth a try to see what would happen. The bulb is only about nine inches in length so not sure if it will be enough to do the job. hopefully I will be able to get this project completed in the next week or so. Kinda excited to give this a try.

Attached Thumbnails

• skined.jpg

• Myc and wharfrat like this

#20 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,595 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

:thumbs_up: