259 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow_Wing

Shadow_Wing

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:10 PM

My beds after the winter, ready to be weeded and some new compost/soil added on top.

Can you see the tiny poppy at the very back of the second photo?  Neither can I, but I found it once I got down into the dirt. That's the only way to do it, Right?  I love dirt, it's the cleanest thing in the world, and it smells SO good. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0446.JPG
  • IMG_0447.JPG
  • IMG_0448.JPG

Edited by Shadow_Wing, 27 February 2016 - 04:34 PM.

• JustAnEyedea likes this

#2 Shadow_Wing

Shadow_Wing

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

A new poppy that is already coming up.  We've had a mix of snow, cold (as low as -8 F) and unusually warm (50 to 60) over the past several weeks, which is about how old this poppy is. Just goes to show how hardy they can be. I'm gonna dig up the weeds and add compost tomorrow, but I'll probably leave this little girl to grow.  Selective breeding in this fashion creates poppy strains that are extremely cold hardy, as well as early bloomers.  I keep track of this one through the season and see what it produces.  Wheeee.   And the season begins.  My favorite time of the year.  God brings the increase.  Hallelujah.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0449.JPG
  • IMG_0451.JPG

• MycoDani, invisibilitysyndrome, Heirloom and 2 others like this

#3 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

Can't wait to see this garden progress throughout the season. I'll be following along for this onew.

#4 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

Namaste

I am so very excited about this thread and curious to see what happens!!!

Loving this thread already and I would love to see a Calea Z. grown outside by you by the way!

I was thinking to sow the first Poppys outside this weak. But it's very cold all day.

From morning to evening it's 0 to 6 °C, at nights it 0 to -3 °C ...

Greetings

#5 Shadow_Wing

Shadow_Wing

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

Namaste

Loving this thread already and I would love to see a Calea Z. grown outside by you by the way!

I was thinking to sow the first Poppys outside this weak. But it's very cold all day.

From morning to evening it's 0 to 6 °C, at nights it 0 to -3 °C ...

Greetings

Sow them. The cold won't hurt them, it might just help them.  Seriously. 

• Neptunechild, skunk and Jenniferjupiter like this

#6 Shadow_Wing

Shadow_Wing

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

Namaste

I do take my calea outdoors.  I keep them in pots, but they go outside along with my Khat.

• skunk likes this

#7 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

I sowed +/- 30 red and 30 white variations of P. Somniferum, let's see what happens!
Weather forecast says it's gonna be 2-6°C at day and -1°C to 3°C at nights for the next week...Fingers crossed!

greetings

• Heirloom and Shadow_Wing like this

#8 Shadow_Wing

Shadow_Wing

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

I sowed +/- 30 red and 30 white variations of P. Somniferum, let's see what happens!
Weather forecast says it's gonna be 2-6°C at day and -1°C to 3°C at nights for the next week...Fingers crossed!

greetings

The cold shouldn't be a problem. 

#9 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

I look forward to watching your garden grow.

• Sicshroom likes this

#10 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

Same here your garden work is just awesome! Looking forward to seeing the pretty flowers. :)

#11 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 643 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

I'm just about to sow some seeds in my raised beds. :) thank you for the inspiration.
  • Heirloom and Shadow_Wing like this

#12 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,547 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

I'm making a map first since I have such a variety of seeds now, thanks to the giver of that gift!!!

My thoughts weren't going to sow this early, but you guys are making me itch, and I gotta scratch.

I'm going to do an area each week, and by then my raised beds will be done and new deck built so I can really make some garden shit happen this year.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with encouragement, seeds, and good vibes, .........back at ya x 7!!

• Heirloom , skunk, Jenniferjupiter and 1 other like this

#13 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

I'm making a map first since I have such a variety of seeds now, thanks to the giver of that gift!!!

My thoughts weren't going to sow this early, but you guys are making me itch, and I gotta scratch.

I'm going to do an area each week, and by then my raised beds will be done and new deck built so I can really make some garden shit happen this year.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with encouragement, seeds, and good vibes, .........back at ya x 7!!

Sounds like a treasure hunt I'd wanna go on!

Skunk

#14 Jenniferjupiter

Jenniferjupiter

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 273 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

I sowed (finally) the seeds you gave me a few years back Shadow, I think I will find one place out front to grow them too. Do remember which kind you gave me? The way the plants look popping out of the ground remind me of the blanket flowers I have in one of my front beds, which also spread like crazy, once those come up I plan on transferring a bunch to sunnier areas. the bees love them! I'm going to make a trip to see your place this summer Shadow, it's been a long time since I've seen it! Too bad we don't live closer.
  • Shadow_Wing likes this

#15 skunk

skunk

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

I sowed (finally) the seeds you gave me a few years back Shadow, I think I will find one place out front to grow them too. Do remember which kind you gave me? The way the plants look popping out of the ground remind me of the blanket flowers I have in one of my front beds, which also spread like crazy, once those come up I plan on transferring a bunch to sunnier areas. the bees love them! I'm going to make a trip to see your place this summer Shadow, it's been a long time since I've seen it! Too bad we don't live closer.

From the looks of some of his past photos of his garden! Wow its to die for! I could only wish for a yard with such and so many pretty blooms!

Looking forward to seeing it progress this spring/summer time!

SkunK

#16 Shadow_Wing

Shadow_Wing

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:27 AM

I sowed (finally) the seeds you gave me a few years back Shadow,

Do remember which kind you gave me?

once those come up I plan on transferring a bunch to sunnier areas. the bees love them!

I'm going to make a trip to see your place this summer Shadow, it's been a long time since I've seen it! Too bad we don't live closer.

Awesome. I gave you a variety mix of P.Somniferum. A mix of Persian Blue & White, Danish Flag, Lauren's Grape,  Pompom, and some kind of red heirloom variety.  LOL.

I would advise against transplanting, for now.  Poppies don't like to be moved.  If you do move any, be willing to lose them.  My advise would be to transplant a couple and see how it goes. In the meantime, even though they love a lot of sun, they will still do ok in partial sun.  

Yes, bees are opium addicts.  :)  It's funny to watch them early in the mornings with new blooms.  It's like an opium den for bugs.  They roll around on their backs and fly crooked.

Let me know when you plan on visiting so I can roll out the red carpet.

Shalom

• Jenniferjupiter likes this

#17 Shadow_Wing

Shadow_Wing

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:30 AM

I could only wish for a yard with such and so many pretty blooms!

SkunK

I'll trade if you like.... my poppy fields for your grow rooms (and everything in them).  LOL

• skunk and Jenniferjupiter like this

#18 Jenniferjupiter

Jenniferjupiter

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 273 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:20 AM

LOL!! No Shadow, I'm not transplanting them.. I was talking about the blanket flowers, they look really similar in how they grow.

• Shadow_Wing likes this

#19 Shadow_Wing

Shadow_Wing

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:47 AM

I wasn't planning on growing very many poppies this year (probably just whatever popped up), but now it seems appropriate and productive to share that process with all of you.  So, I've decided to dedicate one of my beds strickly for poppies.  Normally I would have started this process last Autumn (after everything is harvested) by tilling the soil, and clearing out any debris, adding compost, and then applying an inch layer of fresh soil to ensure that no older seed in the soil would germinate.  Then, starting in late October I sow poppy seed directly ontop of the fresh soil.  I sow more in December, and then finally some more around the beginning of April (or whenever the final frost is expected).  This way I maximize the potential for a bumper crop.  As it is, I'm starting now.  So, some things will be a little different.

Because this is the only climate I have ever gardened, my techniques may not work for everyone.  But I'm confident it should most instructive in the essentials.  Many of you are already well versed in all the basics and desire more in-depth information, and I'll try to give a balance of both.  I'm also gonna need all you experienced growers to help me out, since there will probably be things that I take for granted because I've done them so many times. I've never documented my gardening before.  So, if you notice me skipping over anything that would be beneficial to cover in more detail, please let me know

Poppies are tough little plants.  Too often, growers make the mistake of trying too hard to make everything "perfect", eventually nurturing their poppies to death.  While many plants benefit from (and even require) such percision, poppies are not so particular.  For instance, I have a mixture of poppy seed in a pepper shaker that I carry everywhere. I've sown seed in hundreds of places, and some of them are still loaded with poppy to this day (just call me "Johnny Poppy Seed").  In many places the soil was poor and unprepared, the area partly shaded, and nobody around to tend to them.  I've even sown seed along railroad tracks (that has to be the worst area possible), and returned to find several beautiful poppy plants in full bloom.   Botany is a wonderful science, and I'm sure there is a perfect way to grow poppies.  Poppies grow best in warm (often with cool evenings), sunny locations like Greece, Turkey, China, India, Iran, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria.  The two most productive regions for poppy production are known as the ‘Golden Triangle’ (Burma, Laos, & Thailand), and the ‘Golden Crescent’ (Afghanistan, Iran, & Pakistan).  

#20 Shadow_Wing

Shadow_Wing

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:48 AM

Raised Beds:
Raised beds were the best thing I ever did for my poppies, because it allowed me to amend the soil as I saw fit, and it provided the perfect balance of moisture and drainage.  The reason I started growing in raised beds was because the soil where I live (while great for corn), was too hard for poppies. Even when I tilled the ground it didn't take long before it got compacted.  So, it was partly due to laziness that I built the beds.  

When building a raised bed you should find a location that suits the plants to be grown in it.  After I built my first bed I realized that it was too close to my privacy fence, essentially shading a third of it through the first half of the growing season.  This was because I built it later in the summer when the sun was directly above.  So that second year I marked were the shadow fell throughout the season and built my second bed to get full sun. 

Selecting the materials you use to build your bed are also important. Do not use any lumber that's been treated. Use landscaping timber, natural stone, or clay brick.  It used to be thought that railroad ties were safe if they were old and weathered, but the truth is they will always contain dangerous chemicals that will seep into your soil.  I've been told that concrete blocks (like the ones used in the construction of building foundations) are treated with "something", but I'm not a chemist or a mason.  The safest bet is to check with the manufactorer of the landscape material.
When constructing the frame, reinforcement is sometimes necessary.  Boards will bend once you start filling it with dirt.  Rebar stakes can be driven into the ground next to any flimsy boards to add strength. I've even seen people make a wall with dirt they just dug up, like an earthen dam. If you have clay like I do, that can work, as long as it drains well.

Growing Medium (Soil):
A good "cannabis" soil mixed with extra perlite, coarse sand, or very fine stone works well.  I currently use Fox Farm, but I started out with an inexpensive generic brand to get the beds filled.  If you live in an area (like I do) that has any amount of clay in the soil, adding sand is a death-trap.  Clay + Sand = Concrete.  Avoid using topsoil or gardening soil which will compact over time, and hinder growth.  Poppies have a main taproot that needs loose soil.  Too much moisture can lead to stunted growth, root rot, and downy mildew.  Warmer climates may find you watering a couple times a day, so maintaining good drainage is crucial.  Over watering and over fertilizing are the two most common mistakes.  Poppies actually do well with little water, and I never fertilize mine.  I find that mixing compost into my beds at the end of a season is enough to feed the plants for the next season.  Because poppies are drought tolerant, they also do well in containers.  A 3 to 5 gallon greenhouse planter is an ideal size for a single plant.  I found an old wash tub at a garage sale, that I filled with potting soil and it adorns my driveway for all my neighbors to admire (at a distance, my dog makes sure of that).   I have had some success with growing poppies in hydroponics (drip method, no flood&flow) under 400 Watt HPS grow lamps, but nothing beats Mother Nature. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!