#1 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:18 PM

Weathers is nice on my day off work so im going to start building my flow bench and going to share the steps in real time because it sucks trying to clean, upload, insert, and explain many images all at once so i will do it as i complete the steps.

Many of you may remember my last flow bench but it was a beast and had a huge footprint. @tenderfoot can validate this as he is the new owner of the beast.

I wanted something smaller this go around but ends up it will be twice the size but it will have wheels and be reinforced so i can at least roll it around my garage as i need to.

Im not going into great detail such as material or fasteners used because this isnt intended to be a tek on how to build a flow hood or flow bench. On the contrary, some may find this useful.

First thing im doing is reinforcing the bottom of the cabinet and installing casters.

uploadfromtaptalk1457547476446.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457547489271.jpg

Will now reinforce the top, be back soon.

Edited by wharfrat, 19 June 2016 - 06:09 PM.
added tags for archive

• Hash_Man and Jrotten like this

#2 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:05 PM

Done with reinforcing the top. I started by removing those cheap plastic corner reinforcing clips.

I recommend anyone who wants to install stock cabinets that can be purchased at the large box retailers, do exactly this. Its the next best thing to dovetail corners.

Anyway thats it for this step. Nothing crazy yet. It will get crazy and my creativity will come to life.

The base is pretty much complete with the exception of some drawer pulls and door handles. Time to start on the filter housing and plenum box.

uploadfromtaptalk1457550304355.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457550315937.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457550325885.jpg
  • Hash_Man, CatsAndBats and Jrotten like this

#3 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

Forgot the main reinforcement member!

uploadfromtaptalk1457552071403.jpg

#4 Jrotten

Jrotten

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

I see plagiarism in my future
  • Hash_Man, Luckyloser and CatsAndBats like this

#5 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

I'll pull up my rocking chair for this.

#6 MycoMisfit

MycoMisfit

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

I'm on-board to watch...

#7 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{ + }}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 836 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

Many of you may remember my last flow bench but it was a beast and had a huge footprint. @tenderfoot can validate this as he is the new owner of the beast.

Just talked to my accountant.... I'm going to try and claim it as a dependent on last year's taxes!  

Look forward to watching this unfold, Microbe.  Let me know if you need another set of hands....

• Microbe, CatsAndBats and Nsnail like this

#8 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:03 PM

As soon as i was ready to start running the table saw, it started raining and has rained for 2 straight days now.

I went ahead and started altering the cabinet that will house the blower and pre-filter. What is a bummer is i wanted to hardwire the rehostat then hard wire the blower to the rehostat.

I was able to remove the 3 prongs on the rehostat but was unable to remove the outlet without risking damage to the unit. I was able to hardwire the rehostat in but unfortunately i will still have to plug in the blower.

I installed a outlet so i can power stuff like a glue gun, video and imagining equipment and etc.

Still need to install the blower and wire a power cord and this part of the build will be done.

Im off Monday and Tuesday and hopefully i can get this completed!

uploadfromtaptalk1457715532055.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457715561956.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457715570628.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457715581743.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457715591914.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457715682091.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457715690436.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457715720433.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457715736659.jpg

#9 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:03 PM

Just talked to my accountant.... I'm going to try and claim it as a dependent on last year's taxes!

Look forward to watching this unfold, Microbe. Let me know if you need another set of hands....
Monday, i could use a second set of hands if your not busy.
  • Tenderfoot likes this

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

Thank you for sharing this! Kids, pay attention, mic is pretty thorough!

;)

#11 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:34 PM

I decided to purchase some sheet goods at my work and use the panel saw we have there instead of hoping for good weather in my day off. I cut and mounted the base, 2 sides, and the back of the filter/plenum housing. I used glue between all joints in addition to exterior grade wood screws.

I put some wood filler in all the holes and i need to allow that to dry 24 hours because the interior is getting s shellac finish and the wood filler needs to cure 24 hours for any coating other then latex primer and or paint.

39e916fa8c9c600df435fc1eb5b5ae05.jpg

#12 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

So the box was cut to short on width and height so i removed it and slapped the top on it and made my girls a toy box!

I will cut some more particle board tomorrow and start again. This is probably my second largest mistake since joining the hobby with my 1st being the 24 hour boiling water steep yuck!
  • Cue likes this

#13 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

Im glad it happened because 1 my kids were in need of a sturdy toy box and this thing is sturdy and will look good once i paint it and let the kids decorate it.

Also i had designed it for a 12"x48" working surface and i want at least a 18" x48" working surface. That extra 6" provides me an additional 2 square foot of working area if my math is correct.

Also instead of laying the led light across the sneeze guard i will extend the top cover also and notch the particle board so that the bulb with hang through the notch with a piece of plexiglass that is flush with the bottom of the notch so it doesnt screw up laminar flow at the top of the bench.

#14 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

Finally rebuilt the hepa box and man alive i had more problems.

1st problem or a decision i had to make was it required purchasing 2 sheets of 3/4" particle board. Having already purchased 2 sheets and leaving behind 3/4 of the sheet because i didnt want to haul it, i was faced with the same decision so i decided to go with 3/4 t&g OSB because it was the back side and wont be seen.

I installed the osb smooth side what will be the sealed area. I sanded the sheen down so that i can apply a thick shellac coat. Saved 20.00 and someone received a 3/4 sheet of osb complementary of me.

My problem(s) are as followed:

When cutting one of the sides (the right) i cut it 1/4" to short so i had to run my table saw rip down a piece of the filter retaining strips. Glued it and shot screws in it. 2 days later i backed the screws out and it almost as if it was never cut to short.

My second problem was that i kept spitting by retaining strips but was able to piece them back together nicely. Even drilling piolit holes didnt eliminate the problem. I had to torque them down to apply pressure ling enough for the glue to cure and 1/2" x1/4" there isnt alot of mass there. However it worked out and after a little sanding, some wood filler and a little more sanding, it should look good.

Going to have more problems when i go to mount the blower cabinet because i cut the hole 12" on center not realizing this would be in the way of the filter but a skill saw and a rip off the back will allow me to still install the cabinet flush with the back side of the hepa box.

Weather is freaking cold again and we even had some snow at it appears i may have a warm day tomorrow and have a chance to apply some shellac but we will see.

With some minor set backs and a few obstacles to navigate, im confident this will be a solid build when im done.

My next build is going to be a steam pastuerizing cabinet instead of the 50 gallon drum on its side. I cant wait!

82154ef5edd53ca8567ff7fce8030a7a.jpg
  • Hash_Man, GadgetGuy and Cue like this

#15 Jrotten

Jrotten

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:56 AM

My flowhood is going to be a hack job from hell compared to this if I ever manage to find time to start my build
  • Microbe likes this

#16 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:42 AM

My flowhood is going to be a hack job from hell compared to this if I ever manage to find time to start my build

Im struggling to find time myself!

#17 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

" .....
My next build is going to be a steam pastuerizing cabinet instead of the 50 gallon drum on its side. I cant wait! 82154ef5edd53ca8567ff7fce8030a7a.jpg

Great Microbe very informative and looks great . . A pastuerizing cabinet? really your wearing me out ; )
  • Microbe likes this

#18 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:38 PM

" .....
My next build is going to be a steam pastuerizing cabinet instead of the 50 gallon drum on its side. I cant wait! 82154ef5edd53ca8567ff7fce8030a7a.jpg

Great Microbe very informative and looks great . . A pastuerizing cabinet? really your wearing me out ; )
Oh its going to be slick and will sit in my back yard. Im considering large scale edibles again and thinking about using a 10x10 Rubbermaid shed. I have a few eeks to decide which to build but one is getting built i promise.

#19 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

Added 2 coats of shellac finish to all the surfaces that will be exposed to the inside.

Installed filter, capped it , then installed the blower. Almost there.

b8bc5be14cc79353c8d1656a69b03781.jpg

888612886db5ec01d417e56df6db7c9b.jpg

Edited by Microbe77, 13 April 2016 - 09:16 PM.

• Hash_Man and Tenderfoot like this

#20 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:42 PM

Today i installed cabinet to conceal the blower and primed everything. I changed my mine on how i am going to illuminate the working are, im using led strip light.

Need to paint, install pulls and knobs, wire the blower, install led strip light and hardwire it in.

Im building a matching island on casters with a solid surface top, storage cabinets below, and a pvc framed with acrylic glass panels above the top to be used as a sab if needed or even in very rare occasions, spawning in a cleaner environment then my on my countertops which im ok with because i pasteurize my substrate.

18c8684274ab15aca25e2d5970d0a54a.jpg
  • Hash_Man, Tenderfoot, Needles and 5 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!