Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Ps. Hoogshagenii var. convexa (Semperviva) - Grow Log & Agar

hoogshagenii semperviva grow log @meyer @mlbjammer agar

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 meyer

meyer

Its better to burn out, than fade away...

• OG VIP
  • 860 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

Very exciting day in the life of Meyer! Today, I just received 2 syringes of Ps. Hoogshagenii today and could not be more pleased. Based on the sage advice of a few members, but specifically, our king of ROCK, mlbjammer, and no, mlb does not stand for baseball.

I have been extremely focused on getting Bulk growing figured out as well as still trying to grow Pans. I have done very little research on these Semperviva's, but alas, the weekend is here and I will be reading on the best way to start this new species. I am open to any advice from any vets out there, but it doesn't seem like there has been any grow logs or discussions of these since 2010 or 2011.

As always, I am open to and appreciate any advice and do not mind any thread hijacking as long as we stay on topic. I will also be using this species and trying to grow it out on agar, which is also completely new to me. So you can follow and watch me as I learn Agar and how to grow this (new to me) species.

Step 1:

A. Using 3 pre-poured Agar Plates and putting some spores on each plate to start. The nutrient in these Agar plates is called Luria Broth (LB).

Ps. Hoogshagenii   Agar   3 11 16

B. Attempt a small test grow while the Agar plates are growing

Step 2:  Start a grow utilizing the Agar (Hopefully).

More to follow as results and or approaches get setup.

Edited by meyer, 11 March 2016 - 03:37 PM.

• MLBjammer, coorsmikey, AGAMA and 4 others like this

#2 MycoMisfit

MycoMisfit

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

Got the recliner warmed up for this one...hehe!!!
  • MLBjammer, meyer and nelv like this

#3 meyer

meyer

• OG VIP
  • 860 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

Thanks Man, your better off in a recliner than a chair for this one as from my limited research we are looking at 3 months, hopefully I can speed it up with some good agar work.
  • MLBjammer and peacefrog like this

#4 peacefrog

peacefrog

Wandering Soul

• OG VIP
  • 1,409 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

Good luck, Meyer I'm pulling for you. Can't wait to see your results.
  • MLBjammer and meyer like this

#5 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

Semperviva is slow to colonize and fruit.  I doubt you can speed it up much.

It will grow on any grain or even BRF cakes.  I would go ahead and knock up some jars while you are doing your agar work (just because it tends to be so slow).

Once you are ready to spawn it, you want to use coir, vermiculite, straw, potting soil, etc.  It is not a dung lover, but I have seen folks add small amounts of dung to the mix.

Like pans (and the majority of exotics), Semperviva requires a casing layer for fruiting, and the fruits are usually small but damn potent.  And it's quite beautiful when a flush matures.

Good luck, and it's wonderful to see the species given some love.  You will not be disappointed.

• meyer likes this

#6 peacefrog

peacefrog

Wandering Soul

• OG VIP
  • 1,409 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:34 AM

Jammer, didn't you say those were perhaps more potent than pans?

#7 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:47 AM

Yes, they are wicked strong, man.  I took a gram at a concert about 6 years ago and had a very profound experience.  I also had stored a little stash in a guitar case for several years (which I forgot about) and found it.  I went ahead and dosed them for the hell of it, not expecting much.  Whoa, boy!

TCO, who got me interested in the strain, said that 1.5 to 2 grams was just about too much to handle.

Pans are very good as well, just not quite as intense as these.

Edited by MLBjammer, 12 March 2016 - 05:48 AM.

• whitethumb and meyer like this

#8 peacefrog

peacefrog

Wandering Soul

• OG VIP
  • 1,409 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:53 AM

Wow, I've got to try them some day, bro.

Meyer, I hope you get some results and please report back your findings on these guys.

#9 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:02 AM

Here's a grow from Captain Future (they are gorgeous fruits):

post-15329-138188731655.jpg

Edited by MLBjammer, 12 March 2016 - 06:02 AM.

• goodbad, Heirloom Spores, Viridis420 and 3 others like this

#10 peacefrog

peacefrog

Wandering Soul

• OG VIP
  • 1,409 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:04 AM

Pretty shrooms.

Are their temp parameters the same as cubes?
  • MLBjammer likes this

#11 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:15 AM

Yes, it was discovered growing in clayish soil down in Mexico, so it's sub-tropical.  It has been found in parts of South America as well.

You would basically grow them like you would pans, except they are not dung-lovers per se, so cactus soil or basic compost would work better.  I grew them with coir and vermiculite a couple times, and they liked that.  They are really slow, though, so it requires tons of patience--and that is probably why you don't see many grows posted.

I also used millet to spawn them, as it was recommended to me at the time, but they will take to any grain.

And they taste truly awful, lol.

Edited by MLBjammer, 12 March 2016 - 06:17 AM.

• Viridis420 likes this

#12 peacefrog

peacefrog

Wandering Soul

• OG VIP
  • 1,409 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:22 AM

I've been on here for a couple of hours and out of likes for the day. But definitely like that info, jammer! Thank you for sharing.

#13 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:30 AM

No problem, man.  Now I want to grow them again, too, lol.

• whitethumb likes this

#14 peacefrog

peacefrog

Wandering Soul

• OG VIP
  • 1,409 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

Me three!
  • whitethumb likes this

#15 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 940 posts

Donator

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

me 4 lol

awesome meyer, can't wait till you get those bad boys fruited. also the spores are super slow to germinate, so don't get discouraged if you don't see germination in several weeks
  • MLBjammer likes this

#16 Viridis420

Viridis420

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 186 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

Here are some more pix from Capt's grow. Check out page 6 has his latest photos. Absolutely gorgeous mushroom and very nice flush.

https://www.shroomer...965413#22965413

Best of luck Meyer. Looking forward to your grow log

Edited by Viridis420, 12 March 2016 - 09:49 AM.

• MLBjammer, Heirloom Spores and meyer like this

#17 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:08 AM

The Captain just appears every now and then with great stuff like that.  Gotta love it.

• whitethumb likes this

#18 meyer

meyer

• OG VIP
  • 860 posts

Donator

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:26 PM

Thank you for all of the advice and tips Jammer! I too have run out of likes, I'm glad to see everyone is interested in this grow, when I am successful (not if), I will try and get some prints out to others as I can, depending on how well they print.

I agree with your assessment Jammer, I made 21 cakes today, I will nocc up 17 or so with the spores, I got 2, 20 ml syringes from Earths Tongue @ $28 per syringe so I am committed to be successful with this grow, I just hope they are clean syringes. I am not worried about the length of time to grow, the cacti and my many other projects, including the Pan's and my APE and PEs, keep me as busy as I can be; the plus side of the approximately 3 month is I have read that some will fruit for up to 6 months later with some people getting more than 10 flushes.

This thread will develop slowly as Jammer has confirmed its a slow grower, but I thank him for this suggestion, I have read that people rank these with azures, above even PS. Cyans, this was one person's opinion, regardless, I think it is safe to say they will be quite the experience and I have jammer to thank, first print to Jammer!!!

I do hope people also weigh in on my agar work, which will probably progress faster here, thank you again everyone.

Edited by meyer, 12 March 2016 - 05:30 PM.

• pastyoureyes likes this

#19 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

No problem.  My experience with Semperviva is limited to a couple average grows.  Read up on what Captain Future and The_Chosen_One do with this species.

You took some of the solution to agar, right?  I wouldn't use it all at once.  You can take one syringe to a larger jar of sterile water and have a bunch of syringes.

My experience with ET is that their products are very clean.

I am not sure how Viva stacks up to woodlovers as far as potency.  It's really strong and should be respected when dosing, but woodlovers are probably stronger.  .  

Viva is easy to print, a good spore dropper.  I had a print that was 7-8 years old and could not revive it, but if you do have some success with the species and have prints, I would certainly take one.

• meyer likes this

#20 meyer

meyer

• OG VIP
  • 860 posts

Donator

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:50 PM

Good advice as always, I planned to only use 1 syringe, and then I guess I could great an LC like with a quart and a top with an injection port and shot the quart up with the 20 mgs and create many syringes. Maybe I will just nocc up 12 at this point and use the other 9 for some new cube grows.

And yes, I did take and put it on Agar, in hopes of learning Agar as well.
  • MLBjammer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hoogshagenii, semperviva, grow log, @meyer, @mlbjammer, agar

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!