34 replies to this topic

#1 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,276 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

Just thought I would share a random project I've been working on.

Enoki does really well neglected in the refrigerator. 

I've created some spawn bags using materials which I've had for some time. Left-overs from previous experiments are being used-up as mushroom substrate.

The culture was spawned from LC to Rye Grass Seed

Rye Grass Seed was transferred to a sterilized mixture of RGS and pet bedding sawdust (doug fir and eucalyptus).

Colonization is rampant.

These cultures will go into the 'fridge soon for fruiting invitro.

It may also be of interest to know that the parent LC has been kept in the 'fridge for around 3 years now. The fungal mycelium appears to still be quite aggressive and robust. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160306_105019 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160312_083301 - Copy.jpg

• Tenderfoot, wharfrat and MycoMisfit like this

#2 truMushrooms

truMushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

Diggin your work station, looks very spacey.

I had some Enoki from a vendor syringe I ordered a few months ago. I put it on sawdust agar but still can't appreciate any mycellium in there. In the other hand the Lions Mane wedge I put in those same plates is thriving. Also have a sawdust LC with Enoki in it which I'll check up on soon.

Is this your first time growing these?

edit: the mushroom I'm growing is Nameko not Enoki. I got the names mixed up :biggrin:

Edited by truMushrooms, 12 March 2016 - 06:13 PM.

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,276 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:56 AM

How do you make your sawdust agar? These seem to be doing fine on a substrate about which I was initially dubious. The sawdust is (I believe) reptile bedding which is formulated to discourage microbial growth. Douglas fir being coniferous, and eucalyptus being high in various terpenes. I'm curious to see if they fruit.

I have grown these - neglect style (aka by accident) in the 'fridge before.

The cultures are easily shared with non-fungal persons so they can enjoy the wow factor without the risks of failure.

I also have Nameko culture - experiments to follow. I've never fostered this specie before.

Thanks for the compliment on the work station. It's easier on the back than a glovebox but I wish it were smaller. 

#4 truMushrooms

truMushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:26 AM

I put some coarse sawdust in water and then heated it up a bit and put a lid on it. After a good soak I packed it in bags,  the water left over from the soak was really brown and concentrated from the wood soak. I just pc'ed this water in jars, might've added a pinch of gypsum on a few jars. Some jars where used to make LC's and I did a another single jar mixed with some agar and a dash of corn syrup to use for pouring agar plates.

I really digged how the plates came out on this sawdust batch, real tacky. When I did my trasnfers I didn't have to fiddle around they stuck straight to the agar.

The nameko I read is pretty demanding on growing parameters, it likes it humid and cold, fruiting invitro would probably be a good option but I'm pretty sure that limits the amount of fruits? Have you done any comparison for invitro VS regular fruiting?

if I can get the mycellium on the Nameko plates to show I'll transfer it out and expand it to grain

Edited by truMushrooms, 14 March 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,276 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

Looks like a good idea on the agar - using "wood tea".

I also see where some folks add just a little of the sawdust in powdered form.

I've never had any luck with corn syrup so I usually stick to powdered dextrose.

We should start a thread on the Nameko soon. They look like fun.

I just have to wait for later in the year to build spawn. We're coming into Spring here and I have no way to fruit cold-lovers until Fall arrives (with the exception of a bag or two in the refrigerator). 

So in answer to your question, I've never compared regular vs. invitro fruiting.

#6 truMushrooms

truMushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:15 PM

I can't seem to see any sign of Nameko mycellium on my plates, I've got a little white on one of them but not sure if it's clean or a bacterial contam, I can also see the patch or outline of the drop from the syringe I put in there but no visible colonization, kinda wonderin wth is going on. But it's probably for the good of it since like you say, spring is around the corner, and it get's damn hot out here this time of year. But I'm definitely down for a Nameko grow log once temps start to cool down again :cool:

Right now I'd be better off stocking up on hot fruiting mushrooms :biggrin:  , if you know of any good strains for hot weathers let me know..as of now I've got pink, yellows and phoenix? oyster as well as florida oysters on my list.

Edited by truMushrooms, 15 March 2016 - 11:15 PM.

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,276 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:09 AM

I'm doing King Oysters, King Stropharia, Pleuroteus nebrodensis, and Lion's Mane this year during the summer months for food.

Also having a rough time with some cultures. For 10 days now, I've been trying to get my Blue Oyster LC to run on agar. Two separate attempts just sit there as you describe. I know the agar is good - as a control I transferred a colonized seed onto agar and it's running. ??? Guess I'll have to put the LC on grain and then come back to agar? LOL

Secondly, for the first time in forever, I have a mold contamination on a Lion's Mane plate I was prepping. I must be getting too lazy. A true, trained laboratory technician would freak the f-out over my work area and lax practices. Oh well, clean up and try again.

The Enoki cultures are pretty thoroughly colonized. Pics to follow as time allows. 

#8 truMushrooms

truMushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:04 PM

I had the same problem with some blue oyster syringe a while back, I finally got it going though and got some clean trasnfers from it and onto grains, been expanding it these past few days on grain. It's tearing up the coffe/wheat bran supplemented jars.

Nice, I've got 3 of the 4 cultures you listed going as well! Real excited to get the nebrodensis oyster going, I wonder if it has a different flavor to other oysters? Regardless, it's cool to be cultivating an endagered mushroom :tongue:

Got any tips for growing out some meaty king oysters? I mislabeled some mini monos thinking they where Reishi and I popped the lid yesterday to find some really oxygen starved king oyster, with long stems and almost no caps.

IMG_38511.JPG
IMG_38501.JPG

#9 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

I had the same problem with some blue oyster syringe a while back, I finally got it going though and got some clean trasnfers from it and onto grains, been expanding it these past few days on grain. It's tearing up the coffe/wheat bran supplemented jars.
Nice, I've got 3 of the 4 cultures you listed going as well! Real excited to get the nebrodensis oyster going, I wonder if it has a different flavor to other oysters? Regardless, it's cool to be cultivating an endagered mushroom :tongue:
Got any tips for growing out some meaty king oysters? I mislabeled some mini monos thinking they where Reishi and I popped the lid yesterday to find some really oxygen starved king oyster, with long stems and almost no caps.

Your kings don't look that bad really. Try putting them in a clear plastic tote with the lid off or maybe cover with a piece of plastic window screen. Set the tub by a window that doesn't get any sunlight passing through. Mist the sides of the tote, mushrooms and screen if you use any they should continue to flourish that way. King oysters are IMHA the best eating oysters. They stay a little more solid when cooked and have a mild mushroom flavor... Enjoy

#10 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:21 PM

It's been in the 50s during the day now. So I figured I would set out three bags of nameko with the window screen lid. Plenty of fae and check out how the screen holds water. I like to line my FCs with the stuff too. We still have our winter plastic on our deck so there is no direct sunlight coming in.image.jpeg image.jpeg

#11 truMushrooms

truMushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:05 PM

I actually moved my KO tubs outside, they get more FAE out there. That one tub I photographed seems to be recovering, getting more size on the fruits and more normal looking growth. I hope I can pull some nice fruits from it, if not I still have a bunch of jars with over-colonized KO grain which I plan to spawn tommorow.

How does the Nameko been doing for you? Is it your first time fruiting it or have you grown it out before?

I finally got too see Nameko mycellium on the plates that I innoculated with the vendor syringe, is the mycellium supposed to be wispy for Namekos?

Edited by truMushrooms, 16 March 2016 - 11:05 PM.

#12 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for sharing Myc. Ive been keeping an eye out for an enoki grow that uses a fridge as i live in an apartment.  Really love enoki mushrooms, i wrap them in bacon lol. I'll keep an eye on this, have to give this a try when i settle into my new place!

• Myc likes this

#13 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:44 PM

I'm doing King Oysters, King Stropharia, Pleuroteus nebrodensis, and Lion's Mane this year during the summer months for food.

Also having a rough time with some cultures. For 10 days now, I've been trying to get my Blue Oyster LC to run on agar. Two separate attempts just sit there as you describe. I know the agar is good - as a control I transferred a colonized seed onto agar and it's running. ??? Guess I'll have to put the LC on grain and then come back to agar? LOL
Secondly, for the first time in forever, I have a mold contamination on a Lion's Mane plate I was prepping. I must be getting too lazy. A true, trained laboratory technician would freak the f-out over my work area and lax practices. Oh well, clean up and try again.

The Enoki cultures are pretty thoroughly colonized. Pics to follow as time allows.

You would think it would be just the opposite with LC and agar. I have the same thing going on with a reishi culture. A couple drops in the middle of a fresh dish of agar and I have two out of eight plates that are showing any growth at all. At the same time two CCs of the same liquid were inoculated into quart jars of sterial rye. Now all the jars are showing mycelial growth.
I think we have all got a tast of the mean green at one point or another. Mold spores can attach to a strand of hyphae and no matter how clean we are they can just hangout until the opportunity presents itself for them to grow.
This thread has hit close to home with all the similarities. Thanks for posting, its good to see more activity here with the medicinals...

#14 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,276 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

Pins !!

The cultures have been colonizing in darkness since 3/6/2016. As of today, one of the bags has quite a few pins appearing! The other two bags were introduced to the refrigerator. One went in a week ago (3/19) and one went in today (3/26). 

I was really surprised to see pins this soon. Keep in mind that I'm growing out 3-year-old stored LC (an experiment in and of itself), on a substrate composed of Douglas Fir and Eucalyptus. 

This is a picture of only one of the bags from several sides.

Will update as things progress.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160326_124724 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160326_124730 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160326_124748 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160326_124805 - Copy.jpg

• Needles likes this

#15 MycoMisfit

MycoMisfit

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

Pintastic!!!... Looking good Myc...

#16 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:35 PM

Very cool looking pins, nice job Myc....?

#17 truMushrooms

truMushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

nice, these are all growing invitro in your fridge right? I hear they do good in high humidity environments and pin well at 70F, but that's for reg fruiting I think invitro 

has it's own fruiting parameters.

excited to see them grow out, make sure you let us know how they taste and all that!

rock on myc!

#18 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,276 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:22 AM

The bags have been colonizing at room temperature - also part of my surprise.

In reading "Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushroom" - I saw where commercial growers use a refrigerated environment where they play with CO2 levels.

Fruitbody formation is reported to occur from the 50* - 60*F range (certainly cooler than "normal' indoor temps).

For these reasons, I have always chosen invitiro - in the refrigerator.

This time around, the bags were left to colonize in darkness - in a closed-off room. The temperature in the room runs between 60* - 70*F.

Pin formation began on one of the bags prior to refrigeration.

One of my strategies in the past with other cultivars has been to stagger or overlap the harvests.

A culture is started in multiples and then, one-by-one, the cultures are separately introduced to the refrigerator so that the colonization rates are different. Placing a culture in the 'fridge generally retards the mycelial progress. If they are introduced one week after the next, after the next, etc.....they can be removed for fruiting in that order as well thereby spreading your harvest out a bit. I can eat 4 lbs of mushroom - just not all at once - so I spread them out.

In my past experiments, when I became ready to spawn the Enoki to a larger substrate, the bags in the 'fridge had already fruited invitro so I never took them to the next step. 

This is just a hoot for me. I nearly did back-flips when I saw pins yesterday. I guess my "thrill threshold" is diminishing. LOL

#19 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,276 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Progress pics.

This bag continues to colonize at room temperature. I'm considering the addition of a filter rig so I can introduce a bit of FAE.

The other two bags are parked in the refrigerator. 

This is, by far, the best pinset I've ever seen in my limited experience. 

Will continue posting progress as things develop.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160330_070718 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160330_070755 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160330_070804 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160330_070816 - Copy.jpg

• Needles likes this

#20 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:31 AM

Progress pics.
This bag continues to colonize at room temperature. I'm considering the addition of a filter rig so I can introduce a bit of FAE.
The other two bags are parked in the refrigerator. 

This is, by far, the best pinset I've ever seen in my limited experience. 

Will continue posting progress as things develop.

They are coming along nicely, you should have a crop to harvest......

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!