34 replies to this topic

#21 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,102 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:53 AM

I installed a larger filter patch in order to have better control of air exchange.

The culture has been surrounded with a black plastic lawn garbage bag which doesn't permit the passage of light. Hopefully, the only entrance of light occurs (dimly) through the filter patch now located at the top of the spawn bag.

The bag is pumped like a bellows (gently) once daily for FAE. I'm curious to see how things turn out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160401_082459 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160401_075813 - Copy.jpg

#22 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,102 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

Progress pics

The bag to which I added the supplemental filter.........I should have left it alone.

Note to self:

These projects do better when completely neglected - ignore them. Resist the urge to "help".

I also included a pic of the last bag to go into the 'fridge. It appears to be fighting some sort of infection. The fruit-body production is low and the bottom of the bag appears "fouled". I will be keeping an eye on this one 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160416_065911 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160416_065918 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160416_070150 - Copy.jpg

• wharfrat and Pan1 like this

#23 truMushrooms

truMushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:11 PM

Dude, those look like spaghetti noodles or something, very cool man!

I can relate with the not giving af about some grows which turn out great with little care or neglect.

I think that since you didn't pack your bags too much the added headroom you've got on top acts as a perfect fruiting chamber for the underlaying sub...

Cool thread Myc!  

#24 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,102 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

More progress pics.

I agree that these fungi look like spaghetti while growing.

Looks like things are progressing nicely. Even the bag which I deemed as "smutty" seems to be developing a decent flush.

So much for staggering the timing on introducing the bags into the refrigerator.

The last bag introduced, looks the worst (it's the smutty one), and it has the first mature fruit-body. I will have to open the bag later and pick that one stalk in a day or so. LOL

The bag which I messed with by installing the enhanced filter patch may actually be working. I was trying to replicate a description of commercial production in hopes of obtaining the "picture-perfect" bundle of straw you see in their photos. It may yet happen. We'll see.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160423_151040 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160423_151125 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160423_151431 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160423_151157 - Copy.jpg

• Pan1 likes this

#25 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,102 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

More progress......

Looks like we're approaching harvest time.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160430_090227 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160430_090309 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160430_090337 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160430_090121 - Copy.jpg

#26 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:10 PM

Looking very good! Thanks for sharing, going to give this a try when i get back from my trip. Love enoki

#27 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:07 PM

Bags all day :)

Great thread Myc. 

Love me some edibles.

#28 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,102 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

Harvest day today !! Things are looking pretty good by comparison to some of the commercial-grown specimens I've seen. They aren't as perfectly straight but they did come of in neat little caespitose clusters.

I tried one and lack a good description as of yet. The flavor is mild and what I would call "enticing" to the palette. I will try them raw in a salad tonight and try to muster a better description.

I set up in front of the work-station in order to prolong the life of the substrate for future flushes. (not required - I do this with cheese too)

Perch the fruited substrate on top of a quart jar

Open the top

"Pants" the substrate by working the bag off of the colonized block - leave the edges just in contact for easy replacement of the bag.

Gently work off the bundles of mushrooms with clean hands

Replace bag and seal with tape

Ready for dunking and subsequent flushes

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160508_095612 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160508_095620 - Copy.jpg
  • 20160508_100738 - Copy.jpg

• Arathu, Skywatcher, Needles and 3 others like this

#29 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

Nice work getting those blocks to fruit Myc. It's been fun and educational watching your grow log. Enjoy the harvest.....

#30 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

Really nice, look tasty!

#31 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,102 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

So I added these to a salad last night.

Salad composed of:

Red bell pepper

Cucumber

Celery

Carrot

Enoki

So I think I have a better description now. 

The Enoki are complimentary to Carrots. They have a slightly sweet taste as carrots do and lend themselves well to the ingredients listed for the salad.

The texture is very much like a handful of sprouts - they have that signature "crunch" and a simlar "feel" in the mouth. 

Unlike other fungi which I've tried, I did not notice the "belch" factor. I didn't go around burping and tasting these fungi after eating them raw as I have noticed with shiitake and oysters.

I did not chop the Enoki prior to consuming. The stalks do have some strength to them so if you don't like stuffing your mouth full.......consider cutting them down to size along with the rest of the salad components.

Other than that, there is not much else to say. I need to do further testing - my guts are in turmoil today and I'm afraid that I ate a bad sandwich at a restaurant yesterday. I'm not ready to blame the fungi just yet so I'll be doing further research and report back in the interest of science.

• Skywatcher and sillyrabbitcubiesR4us like this

#32 sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

sillyrabbitcubiesR4us

wanderess

• 548 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

Beautiful harvest! Such dainty little things. I've never heard of Enoki mushrooms so now I have something to research today :)
I hope you feel better soon and find that its not the mushrooms.

#33 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

I find gourmet mushrooms run threw my guts like a freight train, even the enoki. And i always cook them at least lightly first.

#34 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,102 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

This project is still producing mushrooms. Just thought I would update since this method appears to be perfect for the small-batch, home cultivator. The bags produce a flush once every 45 days like clockwork if you give them a dunk after harvest. 

The "bellows" idea for gas exchange was a failure - don't do that. It allows the substrate to dry too easily. 

The fungi do perfectly just plain, in a bag, with the top rolled down, while kept in the refrigerator. 

If this isn't a "neglect tek".......I don't know what is. 

My only advantage was harvesting while using a HEPA workstation. Being meticulously clean helps to extend the life of the culture.

Thus far, I have not seen any attacks on the colonies.  

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#35 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,065 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

Incredible grow.................now I need the "bow" emoticon back too!

Awesome...absolutely awesome................thank you for sharing Myc........

This is gonna be a good year I can feel it in totality...........

A

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!