urban
adjective ur·ban \ˈər-bən\
Simple Definition of urban
: of or relating to cities and the people who live in them

garden
noun gar·den \ˈgär-dən\
Simple Definition of garden
: an area of ground where plants (such as flowers or vegetables) are grown

Urban Gardening / Urban farming / Urban Horticulture / Urban Agriculture / Spin Farming / Square Foot Gardening / Raised Beds / Straw Bales / OPP / Container Gardening up to the roof top and more…

What is urban gardening

For some of us, the hot new lifestyle trend.
For the rest of us, Life, as we know it!

I am PsyBearKnot. You may call me Psy, you may call me Bear…even call me PsyBear!
(Just don’t call me late for dinner! Tacos…I love Tacos!)

I will be your host for our newest forum dedicated to the crazy city dwellers who strive to turn food deserts, empty lots, balconies and roof’s in the asphalt jungles into something a little more organic.

One of the things I have always loved about Mycotopia is the diversity! Not only in my brothers and sisters but in the topics you can find in the many forums we house.
So many times we go to search on the internet for and find SO much conflicting information. I could not be happier that we now have a place to put tried and true information that we all can reference and expand upon. A place where I/We can go and talk to each other…and discuss with…and get advice from members who I have come to love and respect with the highest degree.

I Welcome any topic related to gardening in the urban core. I realize we may have some carry over topics from our brother and sister forums in Back to the Land, Botanicals, Mush/Grass Roots and others. I just ask that any topic posted here be tied into gardening in the urban realm.

I am honored to be a part of the Mycotopia Staff and I hope you will enjoy your time here.
This is OUR forum, and I welcome any and all feedback on how we can make this the best forum we can be.

I welcome all.
From the begenning sprouts
to the most megestic of tall
Weeds and flowers alike
We are all in the together

image.jpeg

Edited by PsyBearknot, 17 March 2016 - 07:45 PM.

• Zen_, coorsmikey, prof_it_e and 7 others like this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:43 PM

What's your definition of Urban Gardening?
What does it mean to you?
  • coorsmikey and Il19z8rn4li1 like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,989 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:27 PM

I am so happy to see you leading this forum off on its new voyage Psy.  :thumbs_up2:

I live on the edge of suburbia, the virtual edge......... 

Nevertheless my gardening efforts would be considered urban gardening. 

I know I will learn from the contributions here, and hope to contribute as well. It's perfect timing, as the weeds are now in their spring explosion here, and it is time to clear out the garden beds and amend and prep for the veggies and herbs. The leaves from last fall have begun to decompose nicely, and the mycelliums have been busy judging from the burst of various mushrooms.

This year I hope to continue to be gopher free, as last year we were decimated by a massive herd of the little pests that wiped out 3 attempts with tomatoes. I finally broke down and paid for the exterminator, as nothing I tried worked. Alas, it was by then too late in the year to get much fruit from the remaining plants.

Subjects I am most interested in are natural pest control, (not toxic to the dogs or tortoises), and always low cost, or recycling ideas to expand and build the garden area.

To me, "Urban Gardening" is growing in limited space allowances, and maximizing on what you have. I happen to have a 4,000 gal Koi Pond, and the water and waste from the 37 Koi is all used in the yard. Fish waste is some of the best and safest fertilizer.

• coorsmikey, PsyBearknot, prof_it_e and 4 others like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,020 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

I have always been close to major cities, either being in an apartment our a small home, which never offer large yards, we have been accustomed to grow on the balcony, or a raised bed in a 20 square foot "backyard", lol... right now i have an 3'x8' raised garden, which does not hold as much as i want, most of my herbs are in pots on the deck cept rosemary and thyme which is a planted bushes now. It is time to get started!! I have had indoor grows in the past but most of that space is taken up by cactus and marijuana.

Very nice christening, let this ship sail!

edit: i got a bigger yard now, woo hoo, still not big enough

Edited by wharfrat, 17 March 2016 - 08:50 PM.

• coorsmikey, PsyBearknot, prof_it_e and 2 others like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

Totally cool topic Psy!

While I don't actually live in a very urban environment, I do have to keep my garden indoors for a good portion of the year, due to my climate. So I greatly hope to learn, and to contribute here.

Thanks for taking this topic on, my knotty friend ;P
  • coorsmikey, PsyBearknot, prof_it_e and 2 others like this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:50 AM

I am truly happy to see this idea and vision that has been talked about for idk now, finally manifest! Congrats Bear! Even though my environment is about the furthest away I could be from Urban Gardening, I hope to get some take aways to implement in my short growing season too. One more step that shows how alive Topia is and how well it's gonna thrive to keep people like us connected! What a Win!

Edited by coorsmikey, 18 March 2016 - 12:51 AM.
Spell check killing me

• PsyBearknot, prof_it_e, Juthro and 2 others like this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:09 AM

Vernal equinox my ass, it's 22*F and snowing. We expect 4" to 6" accumulation tonight. I guess that means if I want to go to church in the morning I best allow for time to snow blow the driveway....

Yea, that's what I thought too, another day to sleep in.....

:)

#8 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

Look at this guy.

Convinced them to make a whole new sub forum for this stuff eh? 

:)  Nice, nicely done.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#9 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

1-What's your definition of Urban Gardening?
2-What does it mean to you?

1 - Growing food in a NON rural setting.

2 - Saying NO to bad local city ordinances and having the whole community back you so you can do what ever you want ;)

EDIT -

It shouldnt  be a crime to grow your own food.  Yet in some places like Florida, i think, its illegal to have a

produce garden in your front yard in some of the cities lol

CRAZY,  i thin Cali might have something stupid like that too.  

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 20 March 2016 - 01:42 PM.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#10 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

Alpha. Good to see you my friend.

Re: bad city ordinances...

I am amazed at the rules and ordences that people got to deal with.

FOOD NOT LAWNS!

#11 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,989 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

I am in Cali, and I also cannot have bees. Another ordinance I ignore...................

I may not be able to get the honey out of the block wall, but they can only enter the hive from my yard so they remain protected and fed and watered. I still reap the benefit of being first on the block to have my garden and fruit trees pollinated.

Someday I hope to further the f that, and set up a colony anyway. I have not heard of many search warrents for bee hives being served. I also call many veggies "Ornamentals", and pick and eat the weeds.

• PsyBearknot, Juthro, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#12 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 635 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

I have some ideas that I want to live out this year. Some of you know that I live in switzerland and I live in the biggest, richest and most decadent one of them all. Yet I have these weird connection to this place that always calls me home on my travels and I try to live my anarchist-hippy-younameit life as good as I can. I even managed to find a job in this weird city were I can combine my views with my passion, the culinary arts.

Anway. Plans were to move out of town with friends, but I met a Yoko-Ono and all the ideas were passed hahah.

Well me and my girl will try to use every single spot in our apartment to cultivate and harvest some of the following plants.

Eggplants, zuccheti, tomatos
cannabis, valerian (harvest next year), tulasi
chilli, stevia, physallis, parsley, onions,
passiflora incarnata (leaves for tea)
damiana, ashwagahnda, poppys

It's gonna be pot culture with my own soil mix on my balcony. Direct sunlight from 11am to 7pm in summer.
I'm sure I forgot some stuff but everything is sowed (except for zuccheti) and in a greenhouse.
Will post pictures as the project emerges...

Can I post my experience in this topic or do I have to make a new one ?

Greetings

• PsyBearknot, Juthro and wharfrat like this

#13 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:40 AM

Hey Neltune.

Good luck to you and yoko Ono.

Man. ALL that in an apt size garden. That will be wonderful to see.

If you don't mind, since this is more an intro thread to te forum, I'd prefer you to start your own thread.

Each one of our styles has a uniqueness about it I would hate to be lost, combined into another thread.
  • Neptunechild likes this

#14 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:44 AM

I'd just like to take a second and thank everyone for the positive support and your energy that is making this forum buzz in the short time we have been active.

I'm really excited to be on your journey and have you with me on mine.
  • Zen_, Myc, Juthro and 2 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!