• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:17 AM

A place holder for everything that rots or poops for the benifit of life!

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

When I started ripping out my back yard there were a ton of leaves, lots of over grown vines and bushes and cinder blocks everywhere.

I needed a place for all of the compostable matter to go.

So I built a 9 block by 4 block, 4 block tall cinder block compost pile.
I have a platform that the past owners had a shed on. Although it is right in the middle of where I'm going to put my straw bale garden. So I decided it would be temporary and I filled it to the top while waiting on pallet wood to make my pile where I wanted it.

Block pile
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Pallet wood compost bin

image.jpeg
  • GadgetGuy likes this

#3 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:17 PM

Current composting mix is taylored to growing King stropharia

First I used the mulch layer that was on the ground
This had to come up because of all the carpet I ripped up out of the yard that was a sad attempt at weed blocking! (4 truck loads full)

Next I cleaned up a concord grape vine and wisteria vine both of which spanned the whole yard.

Took out 6 flowering shrubs that were completely in the shade.

Between all of these layers I also mixed in
City composted leaves
City composted mulch
Left over straw bale
Left over straw and oak pellets chips
And a fresh cut batch of hardwood chips

Through the year I will add kitchen plant matter lawn clippings and the used flats of micro greens and wheatgrass
  • wharfrat likes this

#4 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:18 PM

place holder lol.

You knew i would have filled this forum up if I seen it when you first made it :P

but since you already locked it in :)  Feel free to copy and paste anything I have posted about this jive. 

#5 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

Pleas feel free to fill up as needed.
I created some "place" holders just to kick off some subjects I knew would be good to have.

I plan with time getting some of the info you and others have already dropped that is already on topia into this forum.

If you know of some specific threads or subjects already covered let me know. I'll get em over.
  • Myc likes this

#6 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

I dont think i posted any compost threads here, but Myc has one for sure that I know of..

ill google it to see if i can find it.

but my thread is over at the box.

Welp, with one google search and a keen key word choice, I found Myc's thread as a FIRST SEARCH RESULT on google.

lol go figure.

Oh, how I remember that thread so well lol

https://mycotopia.ne...composting-101/

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 21 March 2016 - 10:36 AM.

• Myc likes this

#7 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

Any one add anything to their compost besides yard and table scraps.
Like gypsum maybe sometimes i pee in mine to get it heated up again.

Made some rain barrels too one is gonna be for compost tea. Made abatch already it looked alive. Anyone else making tea with air stones and molasses for microbe food...?
  • PsyBearknot and Heirloom like this

#8 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 542 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:28 PM

I pee in mine as well. Good nitrogen boost lol. I also raise composting worms, and they do very well to speed up the process. Anything from the kitchen I.e. scraps, peels what have you, I forest freeze them and then add. Freezing these scraps starts the decomposition process, and also speeds things along.
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#9 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:37 PM

I pee in mine as well. Good nitrogen boost lol. I also raise composting worms, and they do very well to speed up the process. Anything from the kitchen I.e. scraps, peels what have you, I forest freeze them and then add. Freezing these scraps starts the decomposition process, and also speeds things along.

Interesting about the freezing.
Whoda thunk

#10 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Eyede woulda thunk,,,

I love pissing in my compost pile. My poor neighbors lol.

I put a bag of ores made compost in mine. Figures it would help it along.

Been hitting the local coffee shop for tea and coffee grounds.

Gonna get some pond plants and a small kiddie pool to grow for the compost. They grow like weeds and look good too.

#11 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

Made some rain barrels too one is gonna be for compost tea. Made abatch already it looked alive. Anyone else making tea with air stones and molasses for microbe food...?

How did you make your rain Barrel? I'm going and picking up 2 barrels this weekend to make rain barrels.

#12 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:53 PM

How did you make your rain Barrel? I'm going and picking up 2 barrels this weekend to make rain barrels.

20160407_194250.jpg 20160407_194257.jpg
Sorry about them being sideways if i dont hold the phone sideways the pics come out this way i forgot..any ways.

The barrels had vinegar in them.
I purchased but cant remember if they are washing machine or water heater valve's but they were under 8 bucks.
I used a torch like the big kind for soldering copper pipe, to make the plastic soft and worked the threads into the barrel so as the plastic cooled i could screw the valve in to the barrel i did use glue not epoxy to mount the valve and a rubber gasket. Ill see tomorrow ifn they leak but they didnt befor i put the glue so there is that.

The top was cut w a jig saw and ill be mounting gutters to our roof since there arent and and then attach the main barrel to the down spout and run an over flow to the second barrel. The second is intended to be used as the tea brew barrel.
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#13 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:34 PM

Props. Looks awesome man.
  • invisibilitysyndrome likes this

#14 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

Props. Looks awesome man.

Thnx man i hope to finish them sooner than later.
Id be interested to see how you go about it as well

#15 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,594 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

Busy bear

Making me loath this city life thats for sure. I miss my worms :(
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#16 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,250 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

A little off topic but not.  As I spend the spring pulling the weeds I know it is best to pull them before they go to seed but that does not always happen especially with Cress that shoots seeds are over the place, the vetch, the henbit, the mustards, the sorrel and the dandelion.  Some you can eat but what to do?  Buy a heavy duty torch at home depot and burn them? The alternative to round up: 1 gallon of vinegar, 1/2 cup dawn liquid dish soap and 1/2 cup of Epson salts?  Put them in the landfill? No!   I know a hot compost pile will take care of them too but the thermogenic phase is short and not always active when you have the weeds.  Well Peter McCoy in his Radical Mycology treatise mentions (I am not sure why. What does it have to do with mycology except interconnectedness of things?) taking the weeds especially if they have seeds put them in a bucket , pour boiling water on them (I use an outside propane cooker to heat the water) then cover an let ferment for a week and then pour them on your compost pile.  Seems to work but time will tell. I have six buckets prepped

#17 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

interesting.

Does the fermentation process add value to the compost or is it just a way to I activate the seeds and start to break down the plant material?

Throw a bubbler in there and make weed tea?

#18 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 542 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

Well, I freeze it all every time. Worms won't easy anything that isn't already decomposing. I take those castings, put them in a5gallon bucket with water, and soak for aboot a week. That's my compost tea. I swear my plants perk up when they see me coming with the worm tea.
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#19 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 542 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

Your pallet bin looks a lot like mine. I wrapped it in tarps to lock the moisture in. I also threw a few thousand red worms in there. I highly recommend composting worms to everyone. Plus they are great for fishing. They stay alive on a hook submerged in water for almost3 hours. Just wiggling away. :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!