48 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

I agree, I like to be a lil more personable with my fellow garden creatures and I wouldnt want

to just ROB them

of their honey without them knowing it...

As the caps of the honey are not broken but the back end are, so the bees cant really now the cells are

empty unless they open them up. 

Personally, I think it would be more fun to collect honey the old fashion way.

Check out the oldest old fashioned way:

[Direct Link]

• Myc and Skywatcher like this

#22 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,077 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:13 AM

The best book I ever read on bee keeping was  The Art and Adventure of Beekeeping, by Ormond and Harry Aebi.   

aabeekeeping.jpg

#23 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:16 AM

gotta love nat geo lol

The best book I ever read on bee keeping was  The Art and Adventure of Beekeeping, by Ormond and Harry Aebi.   

attachicon.gifaabeekeeping.jpg

I'd take Alders advice, I bet he's read a lot of books lol.

Ill look into that one Alder. 

• CatsAndBats likes this

#24 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,077 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:21 AM

Beeing lysdexic, I've not read that many books.  

• Myc, Il19z8rn4li1 and CatsAndBats like this

#25 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

So I went through the cut-list and have the board footage calculations for purchasing the materials. I found it neato to find some of my favorite numeric artifacts sprinkled throughout the various dimensions. For example:

The total board footage of materials required is very near 33 board feet.

The sides of the hive are 216 square inches......

It's just a hoot to see the 3's, 6's, and 9's for those folks who geek on sacred geometry.

Off to purchase materials as time allows.

In studying all the videos posted by bee-keepers anyone else find themselves craving a bite of honey-comb?

In searching, I did stumble across a bee-keeper whose methods I'm hoping to emulate.

I really enjoyed this lady's video and plan to watch others by the same folks.

[Direct Link]

No smoke (but it wouldn't surprise me to find out she "burned one" before working with the hive)

No protective netting (hell, she's barefoot wearing a tank-top and yoga pants)

All while working with "caught" bees

:wub:  

• Alder Logs likes this

#26 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

Okay, based on your comments, I just went down the google image rabbit hole with "nude beekeeping", it did not disappoint.

I think smoking (mj) would help one with bees.. Just saying.

• Myc likes this

#27 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:55 PM

You gunna post pics and dimensions of when you make things? Just curious...

I have had lots of resistance from local bee people when I tell them I'm planning on building all my own equipment.

It's like a cult lol. They always are like, whoa...that's gunna cost you way more then to just buy the stuff...

I kinda beg the differ... $200 for a hive...I can buy 200 clams worth of material and spend a full day making probably 2-3 hives... I mean, the right tools make any job pretty damn easy.

Great video, never saw that one.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#28 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

I had planned to start another thread so as not to hi-jack this one (which I've sorta already done). Unless the consensus agrees otherwise.

You're right. If  you're confident in your woodworking skills - there is nothing you cannot build. We are craftsmen - the prototypers - the builders of models from which the industry mass produces. 

Access to a good shop helps too but competent skills with hand tools will get the job done.

The plans call for pine as the main construction material. White pine @2.54/board ft. x 33 board feet = $83.82 

The top bars will be constructed of a tighter-grained wood. Alder @5.29/board ft. x 14 board feet = 74.06

Glass and miscellaneous hardware + overages in the wood purchase = 75.00

So my expected expense outlay for the project is guesstimated to be just upwards of the 250 dollar range in cash outlay. If I get crazy and buy tools for dovetailing the top-ribs, things could get pricey (but it would be so fun to build a project using only old-world joinery - no brads, no nails, no screws)

As for posting dimensions - I'm not sure if that would be copyright infringement (I had to pay for the plans). ?? 

• Il19z8rn4li1, shoomer, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#29 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

I inferred that @wharfrat was just throwing the subject out there for us to 'feed' upon. Beekeepers are reminiscent of the cult like orchid growers @Il19z8rn4li1 . I was talking to a woman who had her own mother lie to her about losing a hive, because that was the lie she had to tell in order for her to not make waves in her little bee cult.

#30 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

I was thinking of using cedar for my hives.
I never read any negative notions for cedar, has anyone else heard of not using cedar?

#31 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

Ratios are not copy right infringements, I don't believe so at least lol.

#32 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

Cedar will only be problematic if your bees try to farm fungi  ;)

https://www.newscien...to-feed-larvae/

#33 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

I never read any negative notions for cedar, has anyone else heard of not using cedar?

I considered using aromatic cedar for certain parts of the hive

But I don't think you will want to make the entire hive body of any type of aromatic wood. The articles I've read lead me to understand that bees are sensitive to VOCs - volatile organic compounds (smells). The only time I've ever been stung in my life was because I was wearing cologne near a hive. That being said, aromatic cedar is used in drawer construction due to its anti-insect/ anti-fungal properties.

I think that cedar would irritate the bees and will only use the aromatic stuff for the removable roof - which is not intended to be occupied.

Ironically, I have a piece of Spanish cedar ear-marked for just this purpose. ;)

Proportions on the hive I could certainly do. Everything was built upon the Golden Mean so it should be easy to extrapolate dimensions if you enjoy mathturbation ( lol - thank Alder Logs for the new math term). In this respect, I'm not trying to be a douche - to you..... or to the person who invested in the careful design of their plans. 

• CatsAndBats likes this

#34 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

hum.  Makes sense.

Ill too shall use cedar just for the top cover.  

#35 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

So here we go.

First pic is raw materials - #2 pine, 4/4 for the sides and smaller pieces, 8/4 for the top-bar stock

Total bill was roughly $140 at the lumber yard.

Not called for in the plans, I decided to build the rack or support cradle ahead of time. It serves wonderfully as a work-table and a glue rack for clamping - and serves as a handy jig for supporting the angles. << I see this as a real benefit to increasing one's success - and you have to build one anyway. A stable support system is critical for bad weather, high winds, etc. This rack will be enhanced further with gussets and attached to tie-down stakes once situated.

What you see in the pics is the basic "trough" employed by this design. Until finalized, the basic lay-up is the same for both top and bottom trough pieces.  The final pic gives more of an over-all feel for proportion.

Interior length is 36"

Interior height is 14.5"

Interior width at horizontal cross section is 16.75"

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160520_124930.jpg
  • 20160522_142426.jpg
  • 20160522_142601.jpg
  • 20160522_143022.jpg

Edited by Myc, 22 May 2016 - 04:09 PM.

• wharfrat and CatsAndBats like this

#36 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,280 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:14 PM

I had planned to start another thread so as not to hi-jack this one (which I've sorta already done). Unless the consensus agrees otherwise.

This was meant as a conversation starter, and i succeeded! Thank you all for contributing. keep at it :biggrin: ..

I inferred that @wharfrat was just throwing the subject out there for us to 'feed' upon.

Exactly my friend, you are one smart kitty :biggrin: plus i get to learn along with everyone else. I digging the thread, thank you for contributing.

• shoomer likes this

#37 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:19 PM

This was meant as a conversation starter, and i succeeded! Thank you all for contributing. keep at it :biggrin: ..

I inferred that @wharfrat was just throwing the subject out there for us to 'feed' upon.

Exactly my friend, you are one smart kitty :biggrin: plus i get to learn along with everyone else. I digging the thread, thank you for contributing.

outta likes, let's let love rule!

• wharfrat likes this

#38 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,787 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:34 AM

I assume you're thinking cedar for its' water resistance?

Many "professional"  hives I see around here have galvanized metal caps on them. The metal is bent down over every side about an inch and a half with the slightest flare outward at the bottom of the edge on each side. I presume this little bend is a de-facto drip edge. I would estimate this to be the second biggest life extender of the hive, right after a gadget to keep it off the damp ground.

• Il19z8rn4li1 likes this

#39 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

Progress has been a bit slow. I hit a couple of complications in my counting on using A. Friend's workshop. After revising strategy, things are back on track. With luck the hive can be set out and baited this spring in an attempt to catch a swarm. 

The top bars are pretty complex. In the photos you can see that all of the basic segments have been cut. Several more steps are required prior to gluing. It is recommended that you make spare frames at this time to save setup in the future. 

I saw a novel idea of using a counter-top display / honey jar on the website. A harvested top bar frame, loaded with comb is left intact and perched on a handy display. Can't wait to make one of these too:

Glass_Honey_Comb_Holder_Serving_Tray_Buf

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170204_094010 - Copy.jpg
  • 20170204_094102 - Copy.jpg
  • 20170204_094618 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Myc, 04 February 2017 - 12:15 PM.

• coorsmikey, Heirloom and wharfrat like this

#40 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

Mission accomplished !!

The hive is now complete and ready to be set out and baited. Just in time for 2017 Spring nectar flow !!!

Here is a link to more detailed build photos from the website where I got the plans:

http://www.backyardh...ar_hive_design/

If you really spend some time exhausting all of the links available on that page, much of the proportion and build detail is revealed and discussed for those who might be interesting in building one. 

Will update if I get lucky and catch a swarm this year. 

Since I'm not rushing into this hobby, I'm content to try baiting the hive for the first year. If I don't catch anything.....no big deal. 

• coorsmikey, Juthro, shoomer and 2 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!