#41 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,719 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

I wish you good luck with your baiting operation Myc :)
  • Myc and wharfrat like this

#42 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,758 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Durn, somehow I let this thread get away from me.  I would have had many bothersome questions for Myc on his build. 

I would be inclined to avoid cedar.   I wish I could have milled your lumber for you, Myc.  You would have liked my prices.   We'd have to find some fairly clear spruce, as I think that would be the best replacement for the pine around here, though I don't think the Douglas fir would be too bad, as that's what I built my hive boxes out of so many years ago.  Alder must stay dry at all costs, and then it's fine.  We have lots of big leaf maple and that is lovely stuff. 

Most of the wild bee trees I have seen in these parts have been in Sitka spruce.  Our colony in the big old American chestnut tree did not overwinter.  It's hard to sustain colonies here with the timber company's spraying.  The crocuses were covered with very black wild bees when the sun came out last Sunday.

This makes me want all the more to get my community shop built.  I have most of the materials already.  I could use some labor, though. 

• Myc, Juthro and wharfrat like this

#43 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

Hmm.  Just stumbled across this.  Pretty interesting

**Of all occupations worldwide, beekeepers have the lowest incidence of cancer. ~ New York Cancer Research Institute.

Edited by riseabovethought, 14 March 2017 - 01:17 PM.

• Myc, Alder Logs, shoomer and 1 other like this

#44 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

Hmm.  Just stumbled across this.  Pretty interesting

**Of all occupations worldwide, beekeepers have the lowest incidence of cancer. ~ New York Cancer Research Institute.

Why not?

Feed that which feeds you and the world and watch each grow in complexity, usefulness, love, and beauty.

How can any of those be a bad thing? :wink:

• Myc, Spooner and wharfrat like this

#45 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,313 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

Durn, somehow I let this thread get away from me.  I would have had many bothersome questions for Myc on his build. 

I could do my best to answer any questions you might have. 

I did make the whole hive body of clear pine. Surprisingly clear stock for the price. The fellow at the lumber yard pointed it out as we discussed my project suggesting that it was some of the cleanest he had seen in quite some time. Few knots - nice straight grain. 

I did choose to use one piece of aromatic cedar for the viewing port cover. The bees will not come into contact with the panel and it covers a 3/16", "triple strength", glass viewing panel which is sealed in place with some silicone sold to me at the glass shop. .

I'm priming the top bars today with beeswax and plan to set it up in the next few days. 

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170315_173742 - Copy.jpg
  • 20170315_173808 - Copy.jpg
  • 20170315_173853 - Copy.jpg
  • 20170315_173938 - Copy.jpg
  • 20170315_174108 - Copy.jpg
  • 20170315_174447 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Myc, 16 March 2017 - 08:26 AM.

• Alder Logs, shoomer and wharfrat like this

#46 shoomer

shoomer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

That's some fine workmanship.

​The bees will be happy and you should be very proud!

​Thank you for being interested as I think bee husbandry is going to be very important in the near future unfortunately as long as Monsanto/Syrgenta/BASF etc. are allowed to do business.

​P.S. like your sig. ;)

Edited by shoomer, 16 March 2017 - 01:01 AM.

• Myc likes this

#47 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,214 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

I'm priming the top bars today with beeswax and plant to set it up in the next few days. 

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. 

thats awesome myc! i wish i lived out side of the city or would take care of some hives.. unfortunately i cant where i live.. Thank you for keeping the thread active! Sorry if i cant bee of much input :biggrin:

Edited by wharfrat, 15 March 2017 - 11:59 PM.

#48 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,313 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

Swarm season was reportedly poor this year. My efforts at baiting have gone un-rewarded but I'm not discouraged at all.

Instead, I've taken the opportunity to build a nucleus hive.

This small enclosure can be left in a bee yard and directly "inoculated" with a queen and some workers.

It could also be used to catch a swarm.

It will also come in handy when working with the hive by providing a stable place to set frames while working within the hive.

This was built entirely of salvaged lumber. An old pallet and some old fencing material were glued-up for the construction materials.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170604_105623_001 - Copy.jpg
  • 20170604_105638 - Copy.jpg
  • 20170604_105728 - Copy.jpg

• Alder Logs and wharfrat like this

#49 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

Cool, if I owned land, bees would most definitely be part of it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!