• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RagingGodEmperor

RagingGodEmperor

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

So I've been breeding for a Penicillin resistant strain of Cube for awhile now.  I think I've managed to achieve one that will reliably fight off and win the battle with P.  A few more rounds and I'll be a bit more certain.  If it is reliable then i'll be sending off a decent number of Lcs or syringes to spread it's range.  

The point of this was asking if anyone else has been doing the same, with any other varieties of pathogen.  How'd your project get started?  How many generations has it been going?  When do you consider a new strain to be of proven abilities?

Anyone out there into this kinda stuff?  I'm slowly breeding for a super resistant strain...resistant to everything...and would love to find some different powerhouse genes to work with.  

#2 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

Why do you want to breed for Penicillin resistance?

This same info could be used to breed antibiotic resistant germs!. A very bad subject.

Edit - the best solution for contamination is good sterile tek indoors or grow outdoors , cubes grow great outdoors and big + they are more contam resistant.  Outdoor grows need to be watched so they don't dry out and kept in the shade.

Don't mean to upset you . In soil their are natural antibiotic fungi like streptomycin fungi they don't hurt mushrooms as far as I know.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 22 March 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#3 RagingGodEmperor

RagingGodEmperor

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

Super germs and resistant pathogens are already the here and now...because of human intervention, and usually, direct human intentions.  I'm at least making good use of the studies, instead of just paying my taxes to fund more germ warfare RandD 

Any strains resistance is  generally higher from outdoor stock, because of the constant exposure and need to fight off disease.  The better able they are the better chance they can live to propagate...What I'm working to hurry along happens in nature by slow courses.  I'm just compressing hundreds of generations into much shorter time frames and under much more intense conditions.  

Science Moves!!!!

this strain is for new growers and the many, many people who cannot manage to make a clean room, or get a pressure cooker.  Besides, it's about time breeding for selections became more prevalent.  

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,073 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:53 PM

There is people that have domesticated strains to be contamination resistant, I prefer to say strains that are more aggressive than some of the common competitors we come across in this hobby. Even with these domesticated strains one must use aseptic practices. These strains are floating around the community, it just difficult to tell who has the domestic versions of the strain from the versions that have been grown out without selection.
  • Cue likes this

#5 RagingGodEmperor

RagingGodEmperor

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:15 AM

Mixing those randomly flung resistance genes and the super aggressive growth pattern are my overall goal for this project.  I'm hoping to eventually find a few other high resistance examples to incorporate into this one.  Genetic drift can be forced along amazing fast in mushroom cultures.  

Clean will always count.  But what if you could reliably have open resistance to A.. and P.?  

Bags contaminated?...leave it alone for an extra week and let the war be fought...do it with most strains and invite massive scale problems.  What if your strain could eat the P it kills?  Noticeably increased growth patterns and rates after P infections?  I'm not talking about resistance, I'm going to a step past that into using P. as food.  

This has been an ongoing project for a number of years, finally hoping to find a good cross to continue improving the strain with.   

#6 truMushrooms

truMushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:29 AM

this is pretty cool, building a frankenstein of a culture it seems that you are doing. 

whenever I've messed with training a strain I usually want it to be able to process or adapt quickly to an already pre-known environment.

for example if I know I'm spawning to wbs or a heavily supplemented substrate with coffee I might add soakwater from the grain and a bit of coffee to the agar I'm putting the culture in.

This way when it get's transferred out to the real deal it'll be much better equipped to consume the substrate and increase chances of success and as well as speed along colonization times. 

I've also wanted to begin experimenting with training oyster myc to process cigarette buds, something that has just been starting to garner some attention for it's bioremediation impact. 

A quote from http://www.no-smoke....ore.php?id=731 

"Cigarette butts are the most commonly discarded piece of waste worldwide. It is estimated that 1.69 BILLION pounds of butts wind up as toxic trash each year, creating an enormous environmental, health, and economic burden.

Contrary to popular belief, cigarette butts are NOT biodegradable! Cigarette butt waste is a huge environmental issue, with a global impact -- it is both unsightly and unhealthy." and "Cigarette filters are made from cellulose acetate, a plastic that can break into smaller pieces, but will never biodegrade or disappear. "

I think it's completely reasonable to say that we can train mycelium to process almost any material out there with varying degrees of success. This project with the discarded filters will require a culture aggressive enough to deal with contaminations usually present in the filters as well as having the capacity to degrade the cellulose acetate found in them. Because putting the dirty filters through a sterilization process before the introduction to the mycelium seems like counter productive and inefficient way to get the job done, I'd like it if I could train the organism to process them raw and unsterile.

I think it'll be interesting to see what I found out from this project and possibly some of your experience in "training" myc could be useful to increase the chances of success.

I appreciate you sharing your efforts and insights! 

Edited by truMushrooms, 23 March 2016 - 09:36 AM.

• coorsmikey and shabam like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!