16 replies to this topic

#1 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 206 posts

Donator

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

I have 2 very healthy beefsteak tomato seedlings pretty close together in a pot.......I'd like to try and keep both of them, I know I should separate them. I don't think roots have truly established but I could be wrong......what's the best way to go about separating these two?
IMG_20160325_082237816.jpg IMG_20160325_082247302.jpg

Edited by Baphom3t, 25 March 2016 - 07:28 AM.

• Heirloom likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,105 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:11 AM

Typically, folks plant several seed and pinch off the less-than-stellar performers as the seedlings get taller.

You might successfully part them out but I'm not optimistic.

The sooner you make the decision - the better your results may be. Those seedlings are (second by second) extending their root network. Destruction of the newly developing roots can kill or set back your desired cultivar.

Best of luck in your decision.

• Baphom3t and Juthro like this

#3 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 206 posts

Donator

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

Right on Myc......thanks for the input.

• Juthro likes this

#4 Zwapa

Zwapa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

No problem, just , carefully break the sand to split the two, then replant. repot whole the way till the first leaves. tomatoes make new roots from the stem in the ground. strong mothafuckas for sure!

but i would wait till they 're a litle bit bigger and stronger. i now have lots of seedlings like u do standing next to each other. they can handle it anyway.

Edited by Zwapa, 25 March 2016 - 10:52 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#5 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,565 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

I might let it get bigger then when big enough cut one off at ground level and clone it. tomatoes clone real easy and fast.

of course you can pinch it off , and get more tomatoes by rooting a sucker or side branch.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 25 March 2016 - 11:14 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:20 AM

Some people transplant their maters laid over on their sides and bury the stem to make lots of roots.  

• PsyBearknot, wildedibles, Juthro and 1 other like this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,464 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

I have separated out seedlings before with mixed results, and my gut reaction is to do so. But I have had mixed results, because if your not carful, AND lucky you can kill them both. On the other hand, a lot of the time they both recover fine, and you end up with two good starts. It comes down to playing the odds.

The safe bet is as Myc suggested, cutting off one of the starts. That's what most of the pro's (by "Pro", I mean commercial grower) would tell you to do. I like to buck the odds from time to time though. I guess I'm just a rebel.
:)
  • coorsmikey and Heirloom like this

#8 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 206 posts

Donator

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

killer....thanks for all the info and help ya'll.....If it's easy to make them re-root, I'll wait a bit more and then chop one off at the base and get it to re-root and replant......kinda like basil. :smile:

#9 Zwapa

Zwapa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

NOOOOO, don't chop, how would u be?? just tear them apart and repot.... but that's my way , u go yours offcourse ;-)

Edited by Zwapa, 26 March 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#10 RustHunter87

RustHunter87

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:19 AM

I would definitely split them roots and all while they are small, just because they clone well is no reason to make that tomato go through all that effort.
I would just very careful dig one out repot it and top the original pot off.
Cloning tomatoes is easy and fun tho, it's best to wait till they are sending out suckers IMO, u can literally just twist them off and stick them in the ground!
  • Heirloom likes this

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,121 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:38 AM

I start 3 to a 4" pot then seperate them when they are your size or a bit bigger .....make sure they are strong water the day before helps too. I use a fork and dig down just enough to pull 2 out and leave one untouched. Repot the one or my case two into thier own pots.............This way you are only bugging roots on one not both so if your not so careful you will only loose one and not both ;) In another couple weeks they will need bigger pots.....
  • Baphom3t, Juthro and RustHunter87 like this

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,121 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:20 PM

oh one important thought grab by one leaf only and other hand finger under root ball never grab by the stem beter to have an accident riping off one leaf rather than loosing the plant by grabing the stem........with a little fork u shouldnt have to touch anything too much just scoop steady and put in new hole .........I water everything first preferably day before to make less mess ;)
  • Baphom3t likes this

#13 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

like WE said, only handle them by their leaves, dont handle them by the stems.

The stems are to fragile and if you crack or kink them.. they are done with.

Those will transplant JUST FINE.

I've transplanted 1000s of tiny plants about that size without issue.

BUT, at the end of the day, a seasoned gardener would be sure to never plant EVERY SEED

they have on hand.   Be sure to save seeds from at least 1 LARGE tomato.

From 1 beefsteak, youll easily get 50-100+ seeds, more then enough to give you good

security for the future and not have to have a worry like you got now.

• wildedibles and Baphom3t like this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,464 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

Here is an article by, Jeff Lowenfels, that covers his suggestions.

http://www.adn.com/a...atoes-start-now
  • Myc likes this

#15 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,867 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:09 PM

What did you end up doing?

#16 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 206 posts

Donator

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:55 PM

I have like 7 more growing and a ass load more seeds to plant.....so I pulled the weaker of the 2 from that pot.

#17 RagingGodEmperor

RagingGodEmperor

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:36 PM

If you ever really need to save doubled or tripled plants you can softly shake the roots apart underwater.  The roots separate a lot easier if they are submerged in warm water.   just throwing it out there....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!